Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Police officer shot dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Asked about how someone could enter the building while armed, former Det Ch Insp Chris Phillips said: "I think police officers are probably less likely to search people now with all the furore that goes on.

Sad indeed.

I hope this tragic lesson will mean that measures are stepped up in such circumstances.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54293111

Asked about how someone could enter the building while armed, former Det Ch Insp Chris Phillips said: "I think police officers are probably less likely to search people now with all the furore that goes on.

I read that. It's a strange statement isn't it, the 'furore' he mentions, if I understand correctly, is about stopping and searching people for dubious reasons, ie the colour of their skin.

However pretty much everyone would agree that someone being detained/arrested and taken to a police station should be automatically searched and there isn't any controversy about that.

On face value it looks like a comment designed to provoke division, to blame this tragic death on wider societal issues.

RIP copper. Very sad.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I read that. It's a strange statement isn't it, the 'furore' he mentions, if I understand correctly, is about stopping and searching people for dubious reasons, ie the colour of their skin.

However pretty much everyone would agree that someone being detained/arrested and taken to a police station should be automatically searched and there isn't any controversy about that.

On face value it looks like a comment designed to provoke division, to blame this tragic death on wider societal issues.

RIP copper. Very sad.

Or it's a fair comment from someone who works in the forces and has to deal with the "furore" on a daily basis, directly, on the streets and risking their own lives. On face value that is.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

RIP copper. Very sad.

I see the usual gammon I have on ignore are all over this thread. At present I can think of no scenario that makes this an unfortunate incident. The police statement above is absurd. Someone was arrested so there had been an incident. Whether it be (I offer some immediately plausible scenarios for a 2 AM arrest) a domestic involving a white working class male, a psycotic or drug episode with a young black male, or somethimg 'muslimy', if enough happened to result in an arrest, not searching the bloke for fear of alienating the white working class, or triggering a BLM or mulslim backlash (take your pick) would be craven, unprofessional and incompetent.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54293111

Interestingly that part of his quote has now been removed on the BBC website.. Probably because it was a stupid thing to suggest and say, possibly because the ethnicity of the shooter is currently undisclosed and may have a huge potential to cause a shitstorm.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions
This message is hidden because Questions is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I see the usual gammon I have on ignore are all over this thread. At present I can think of no scenario that makes this an unfortunate incident. The police statement above is absurd. Someone was arrested so there had been an incident. Whether it be (I offer some immediately plausible scenarios for a 2 AM arrest) a domestic involving a white working class male, a psycotic or drug episode with a young black male, or somethimg 'muslimy', if enough happened to result in an arrest, not searching the bloke for fear of alienating the white working class, or triggering a BLM or mulslim backlash (take your pick) would be craven, unprofessional and incompetent.

MOD EDIT - no thanks. Removing this to prevent further binfestry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

You don’t do yourself any favours do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just read about this. What makes it even more sad is the BBC have said it’s believed he was very close to retirement.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Wow... just wow.
I started this thread to pay tribute to a brave officer that left home last night and did not make it home, why do you need to make this so hate filled?.. Unbelievable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'd strongly suggest we all leave it there as the last thing we want is this respectful tribute being thrown in the Bear Pit.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see posters like Baker Lite and Chicken Run are wading in. I choose not to read CR's posts but I can well imagine. Please, don't get this relegated to the Bear Pit. Just a quick reminder that a man has been murdered, keep it respectful.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'd strongly suggest we all leave it there as the last thing we want is this respectful tribute being thrown in the Bear Pit.

With respect it only started getting edgy when Ppf & your mate Tackle turned up, I assume you’ve had a word with both of them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here