Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police Box Gang

gazfoster

PBC
Aug 11, 2013
Southwick
there was a new little group under the police box just to the right...they was just singing songs at different time as we was joining in with of the NS

All time low today.

Albion go one nil up early on in important match. Cue lots of loud songs of celebration joined in by all parts as the mood allows... NOT.

What actually happens is the Police Box Club decide to launch into the one song that they know for a fact no-one else will join in, while the East side of the North and WSU each try a few Albion chants which can't ever get going properly because of the wannabe Berliners in between them...

Worst atmosphere ever for a 4-3 home win.

At one stage you could hear the players calling (I'm in WSU..!). Beram Kayal having to try and gee up the North Stand is a bit embarrassing.

Bit difficult to compare the atmosphere for a 4-3 win since the last one was at Withdean !

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I

Come and stand with us and then tell me how easy it is to hear songs started from other areas of the NS. We join in when we hear what's being sung, we don't when we can't. I guess other parts of the stadium are lucky enough to be able to hear more than we are. We do our best. We try. We're giving it our all.

Now listen very, very carefully.

The only way that we will get a unified North Stand is when the club... when THE CLUB make some changes. I'm talking to you Paul Beirne. Despite what your email said, there WAS a consensus, and that consensus was "put us all together". The lack of consensus was in how that is achieved and, whatever we might suggest, only you and the rest of the powers that be can effect that change. Bite the bullet, make the changes, continue with the momentum that started in December (which now feels distinctly withered due to your inactivity). We're all still here. Have a listen at some of the away games.

Imagine what you could achieve, what we all could achieve, if YOU put the wheels in motion.

Soon enough we find out what next year's prices will be. If you don't act to change where we all 'sit' before tickets are bought then shame on you. I'm calling you out. Make a change, be true to your word and mobilise us all under your own initiative. We neither want nor need another revolution; we just need your support, so that we can be joined up in giving ours.

Make it so.

Good post

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
On the odd occasion when you join in with the rest of the North stand, the singing spreads round to the west stand, when you sing your own little songs, no one else joins in except you.

Yesterday I noticed that nearly the whole North stand sings one song until it gets over to near you lot and then you're singing something else.

Correct, I have noticed this when I have sat in-between the two groups. It cancels out the spread and dilutes the atmosphere.

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
I love this debate it always makes me chuckle! Everyone jumps in hating on the PBC, blaming them solely for the poor atmosphere at home games, Poverty, World hunger , global warming & such like.
What influential people they must be in their little corner :rolleyes:

Sitting in N1E I can honestly say the lack of celebration from that area after the 1st goal was because everyone was far too busy commenting "Oh a goal, so what? We are just going to concede in the next 60 seconds" Which seems to be the negative mentality of a few people in that block!

However while trying not be sick in the car I think I managed to come up with a solutions to the 'Atmosphere Issue' that will keep people happy :thumbsup:

1. No new songs (PBC)
2. If you must have new songs, they must have as few words as possible (PBC)
3. As little Yankie Doodle as possible (PBC)
4. Possibly a designated person to stand at the front waving big song cards with the very limited words on so everyone is 'singing from the same hymn sheet' :amex:
5. If you are in the middle of the NS try starting a well known, limited lyric song yourself! It shouldn't always be with side of the NS battling it out. Maybe if the middle got involved then both sides would hear what is being sung then it will be perfectly timed & wonderful :)

You are welcome :lolol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I love this debate it always makes me chuckle! Everyone jumps in hating on the PBC, blaming them solely for the poor atmosphere at home games, Poverty, World hunger , global warming & such like.
What influential people they must be in their little corner :rolleyes:

Sitting in N1E I can honestly say the lack of celebration from that area after the 1st goal was because everyone was far too busy commenting "Oh a goal, so what? We are just going to concede in the next 60 seconds" Which seems to be the negative mentality of a few people in that block!

However while trying not be sick in the car I think I managed to come up with a solutions to the 'Atmosphere Issue' that will keep people happy :thumbsup:

1. No new songs (PBC)
2. If you must have new songs, they must have as few words as possible (PBC)
3. As little Yankie Doodle as possible (PBC)
4. Possibly a designated person to stand at the front waving big song cards with the very limited words on so everyone is 'singing from the same hymn sheet' :amex:
5. If you are in the middle of the NS try starting a well known, limited lyric song yourself! It shouldn't always be with side of the NS battling it out. Maybe if the middle got involved then both sides would hear what is being sung then it will be perfectly timed & wonderful :)

You are welcome :lolol:

Very good, number 3 is my favourite part of this post :thumbsup:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
All time low today.

Albion go one nil up early on in important match. Cue lots of loud songs of celebration joined in by all parts as the mood allows... NOT.

What actually happens is the Police Box Club decide to launch into the one song that they know for a fact no-one else will join in, while the East side of the North and WSU each try a few Albion chants which can't ever get going properly because of the wannabe Berliners in between them...

Worst atmosphere ever for a 4-3 home win.

At one stage you could hear the players calling (I'm in WSU..!). Beram Kayal having to try and gee up the North Stand is a bit embarrassing.

If you're engaged in the game, these Police Box Club people - whoever they are - don't even exist for you.

Oh, and Beram Kayal was actually trying to gee up the half-empty family stand. No idea why :shrug:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Correct, I have noticed this when I have sat in-between the two groups. It cancels out the spread and dilutes the atmosphere.

Correct indeed...I sat half way between the two groups and I never once heard the PBC pick-up any of the singing started by the NS. I don't want to knock the PBC because they make a big effort, but there isn't enough of them to really start something that spreads.

MattyC

May 12, 2013
I have put these links up before but I think its worth adding them to this thread. I think it demonstrates very well that at one point nobody gave a s**t what was being sung and who started it. It shows the whole stand singing and joining in even before we scored, something that has been missing for a long time. Now even our own players are starting to gesture to the fans, basically saying make some fu**ing noise. Maybe all we need to do is put aside the whole police box obsession and join in?

Enjoy the videos, brings back good memories.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQh28GdUVNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9uJQljPCY

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I have put these links up before but I think its worth adding them to this thread. I think it demonstrates very well that at one point nobody gave a s**t what was being sung and who started it. It shows the whole stand singing and joining in even before we scored, something that has been missing for a long time. Now even our own players are starting to gesture to the fans, basically saying make some fu**ing noise. Maybe all we need to do is put aside the whole police box obsession and join in?

Enjoy the videos, brings back good memories.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQh28GdUVNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9uJQljPCY

Charlton, Bournemouth and Fulham away this season was none to shabby either.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Correct indeed...I sat half way between the two groups and I never once heard the PBC pick-up any of the singing started by the NS. I don't want to knock the PBC because they make a big effort, but there isn't enough of them to really start something that spreads.

It sounds like there is about five of them.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
It is each to their own but I really do struggle to understand this as well when games are so close.

Every game I leave bang on the whistle and have made the 17:16 train every time on a normal Saturday KO

I always stay till the final whistle and have never failed to make that train, I then get the 17.33 which gets me back to Angmering Station for 18.06.
Seeing the hordes leave on 85 minutes bemuses me.

MattyC

May 12, 2013
I'v said it before that police box is a fu**ing acoustic nightmare! It's not that high off my head so the sound just bounces up and down and not outwards. It's a subject I know a lot about as I used to work at an acoustic company. It's called destructive interference, basically sound bouncing of a hard surfaces. At high frequency sounds are called high frequency distortions, this video explains how sounds bounce off of hard flat surfaces ie the roof/floor of the police box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPYt10zrclQ

Jolene81

Jan 28, 2014
Worthing
I'v said it before that police box is a fu**ing acoustic nightmare! It's not that high off my head so the sound just bounces up and down and not outwards. It's a subject I know a lot about as I used to work at an acoustic company. It's called destructive interference, basically sound bouncing of a hard surfaces. At high frequency sounds are called high frequency distortions, this video explains how sounds bounce off of hard flat surfaces ie the roof/floor of the police box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPYt10zrclQ

Did you know that when you moved there? I'm sure I saw on another post that a lot of people moved from their previous seats to under the PB.

Or did I make that up? ???

MattyC

May 12, 2013
Did you know that when you moved there? I'm sure I saw on another post that a lot of people moved from their previous seats to under the PB.

Or did I make that up? ???

Yeah I noticed it at the Doncaster game, thought it was an odd place to put it, plus the fact that its fu**ing ugly and sticks out like a growth! I would have thought it would be better in south east corner? I moved up to the pb because of all the day trippers and general people that spend 90 min sitting on their hands. Like I said before it's a good laugh up there and a good bunch of lads that have a bit of fun and let off a little bit of steam probably after a shit week at work so it always bemuses me why people take offence to the pb lot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here