Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Points Deduction for Managers Misbehaviour Proposed

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
An email from the Daily Telegraph has just plopped into my inbox.

Referees call for points deductions for aggressive managers​

By Luke Edwards
NORTHERN FOOTBALL WRITER
Jürgen Klopp has been skating on thin ice with his behaviour towards match officials for some time and this could be the moment it cracks underneath him.

After receiving a yellow card for charging down the touchline to celebrate in the fourth official's face on Sunday, Klopp then said of referee Paul Tierney: "I really don’t know what he has against us."

The bigger problem is that Klopp is a serial offender. He has already served a one-game touchline ban this season, for screaming in the face of an official during his side's 1-0 defeat of Manchester City back in October.

After each event, Klopp apologised. His repeat behaviour, however, makes that contrition look insincere.

This cannot be allowed to slide any longer. Klopp's high profile makes it all the more important that the authorities act strongly.

His comments about Tierney's supposed agenda prompted PGMOL, the referees' body, to release a statement forcefully denying Klopp’s claim and pointing out that they had a full recording of the exchange between the manager and referee. Separately, a referees' group has called for points deductions for teams whose managers act like this.

Klopp has done brilliantly to keep Liverpool in the race for a Champions League place and his force of personality has been crucial to their improved form, but that cannot come at the expense of the integrity and reputation of matchday officials.

Any thoughts?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Any thoughts?
It could be a useful way to put teams like Brighton in our place, to stop us taking European spots from the big teams.

Start by giving 5 massive decisions all to our rivals, costing us 3 points and gifting them the same - and then when we have the temerity to complain, dock us some more points.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Stupid idea, what next points deductions for players getting red cards.

The starting point, should have been a red card for Klopp followed by a lengthy stadium ban rather than a touchline ban. To ensure that there is no antics to get into the stadium, when the game is being played, the manager needs to be at the VAR premises or FA HQ when banned.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It could be a useful way to put teams like Brighton in our place, to stop us taking European spots from the big teams.

Start by giving 5 massive decisions all to our rivals, costing us 3 points and gifting them the same - and then when we have the temerity to complain, dock us some more points.
This with bells on - they've been caught out with using bent VAR and so have come up with another idea to ensure we don't get above our level.

Surely the answer is to force refs and VAR to do a post match interview where they can be challenged, in public, on their decisions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The starting point, should have been a red card for Klopp followed by a lengthy stadium ban rather than a touchline ban.

That.

Klopp (despite his high praise of us) has been a massive cock, and should have been punished. In fact, he still should. They should re-look at what he did, and ban him from the stadium for a few games.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Klopp has done brilliantly to keep Liverpool in the race for a Champions League place and his force of personality has been crucial to their improved form, but that cannot come at the expense of the integrity and reputation of matchday officials.

Any thoughts?
My thoughts are that:

1) Liverpool are not in the race for a champions league spot and haven't been for months.

2) It's interesting how the media/pundits/etc all talk about Liverpool (and even Spurs!)being in the hunt for the top 4 while we get mentioned as something like flirting with the minor European places, making an outside bid for Europe. In terms of total achievable points for the rest of the season we're fifth. That is to say in a better position than both Liverpool and Spurs to make the champions league or the minor European places.

3)Point 2 might just be me having an albion sized chip on my shoulder but it is indicative of the narrative making of the press/media.

4) I'm not sure about points deductions but there should be a uniform and strong punishment for the kind of poor behaviour exhibited by Klopp. I say uniform because Silva got a red card and ban for less while Mitrovic deservedly got a lengthy ban for manhandling the ref while Fernandes got nothing.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
If the ref's encounters with player and officials plus their VAR interactions were done in public as in Rugby then yes, no problem. Otherwise no, as no-one outside their little cabal will know what actually happened and it would open them up to more allegations of cheating.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I would just fine the manager big time (no points deduction) - so Klopp, this week, £1/2 million... that'll stop it pretty quick.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Not when referees are already costing teams points with terrible decisions. It’s double jeopardy. Learn to use VAR properly and this might have a bit more credibility

skinner.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here