Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Podcasts - what are you listening to?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I listen to quite a few podcasts and over last few months there has been an increasing trend for people to throw "and whatnot" into sentences, for very little effect. This seems recent, any idea what has led to this whatnottery? It's incredibly annoying, I can't stop hearing it now I have noticed it once. May also be one for the bell cheeses at work thread, gave heard it there of late too.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I listen to quite a few podcasts and over last few months there has been an increasing trend for people to throw "and whatnot" into sentences, for very little effect. This seems recent, any idea what has led to this whatnottery? It's incredibly annoying, I can't stop hearing it now I have noticed it once. May also be one for the bell cheeses at work thread, gave heard it there of late too.

That is rich, coming from someone who claims to clean "umpteen" things clean. How many is that, exactly?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Gossipmongers is back. While I have to say, I’m a little bored of it these days, it still raises a chuckle.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Been listening to Real Dictators, harrowing at points but very well done. Spooko is good fun as well, the two hosts are old mates and they work well together.

For those who are into ancient history (mainly Greece and Rome), I have a podcast called 'Ancient History Hound'. I cover a range of topics from battles, Spartan Women and stuff like to what Roman baths were like. Been going 4.5 years so there's a nice back catalogue to check out. It's aimed at those with an interest but you can also be someone new to the subject. I know teachers have used some episodes for students.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was in a podcast recently all about where I live. Not often you get to hear yourself for 45 minutes, so a bit surreal - I had no idea I still sounded so southern. Having been up here for 25 years now, I thought it would have worn off. You can take a lad out of Brighton, but...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Seemingly not gone gone just gone from Auntie

[tweet]1502293002496233478[/tweet]

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Seemingly not gone gone just gone from Auntie

[tweet]1502293002496233478[/tweet]

Only been listening the last year or so, sad to see it go, especially as I have little faith the Beeb will come up with anything as good to replace it

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just a couple of recent nods.

On last weeks RHLSTP Herring had Paul Chuckle.
It's a lovely interview.

It's been a few weeks so time for my bazillionth The Rewatchables mention.

The boys do Panic Room - which is on Netflix - and as usual thoroughly enjoy themselves.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally got around to John Ronson's Things Fell Apart.

Ep.1 was an absolutely fascinating look at why the American Evangelical Christian right are so anti abortion and the exact moment it happened

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Finally got around to John Ronson's Things Fell Apart.

Ep.1 was an absolutely fascinating look at why the American Evangelical Christian right are so anti abortion and the exact moment it happened

It's an excellent series. I think the first one is probably the least good one,The Tammy Faye one was the best for me

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's an excellent series. I think the first one is probably the least good one,The Tammy Faye one was the best for me

That's good news.

Naturally I assumed the evangelical objection was just what they did.
The fact Ronson was able to pin their 180° turnaround was amazing.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I've only listened to the first half of the first episode but I recommend Comfort Blanket.
"Talking about the films, TV shows, books or music which people go to again and again to feel safe, happy and welcome". The first episode is Rufus Jones talking about Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It's by one of the presenters of Rule of Three which I would also recommend. People in comedy talk about something comedic. The Miles Jupp on Frasier episode is brilliant and would be in my comfort blanket list

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This week's Off Menu with Mother Superior from Derry Girls is quite a tour de force.

There's story telling and then there's Ms McSweeney.
She absolutely blew the boys socks off, they hardly spoke just sitting there laughing.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Just a couple of recent nods.

On last weeks RHLSTP Herring had Paul Chuckle.
It's a lovely interview.

It's been a few weeks so time for my bazillionth The Rewatchables mention.

The boys do Panic Room - which is on Netflix - and as usual thoroughly enjoy themselves.
Would you say their Raiders Of The Lost Ark one is a bad episode? I've heard lots of good things about it(not just from you) but really couldn't get on with it. It reminded me a lot of Reply All of that sort of bland US being smart but without actually saying anything of interest. I don't think they really mentioned the film for 40 minutes just lots of other "memories" of limited interest and telling us how everyone was at the top of their game without explanation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here