Pm's briefing - 5pm

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Boom, he just can't help himself.

When having his feet held to the fire he:-

Doubles down.
Says something to make everyone 'happy'.
Causes more harm than good.
Walks it back in 10 weeks time for 'unforseen circumstances'.

I hope I'm wrong.
I hope this is his 'stopped clock' moment.
I have absolutely no reason to think it will be.

He's not damned if he does, damned and he doesn't.
He makes unnecessary, grandiose, statements and damns himself and his electorate in the process.

Reminds me of some other weird delusional serial-lying flaxxoned-haired BUFFOON who has long outstayed his welcome. But I can't...quite...put my finger on it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
More wasted millions, they had a doctor on 5live tonight answering questions who said the nightingale hospitals can't open as there are not any doctors or nurses to work in them :facepalm:

This was one of the things I gave the government credit for at the beginning of the pandemic, bit I'm baffled as to how even now they're not being used. I thought there was a drive in Spring to bring back some retired doctors/nurses to help out?? Strategically you'd think 9 months in they'd find a way to use this extra capacity to their advantage. Just looks like another collosal waste of money.

On another note is it just me who seems to think the media seems to take great glee in all the extra bad news?? All the questions asking why the whole country isn't locked down for endless months. I imagine they'll be popping the champagne corks if/when we get the inevitable news that the vaccines don't work against this strain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
that would be a good plan too, we should pay for more staff on standby and excess capacity.

No. There’s no need for this. Good leadership, good decision making and adequate funding will suffice.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What a marvellous job Johnson has done. Steered us skilfully to the second highest Covid death rate in Europe and delivered a no-deal, sorry I mean "Australian style" Brexit even though he had an oven ready deal in place.

It's almost as if literally absolutely anyone else would have been improvement on a fat bumbling cretinous serial liar.

Don't forget going into no deal on the back on the 19th biggest economic contraction in the G20 this year.

Johnson is poor but if only he has put some experience in his cabinet thing might have been a little better

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
That might not be targeted at me, but I'm going to take it on anyway, as you HAVE replied to be with that on several occasions on this topic.

No one, or certainly not me, would claim that Johnson and the government have been "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" on every single aspect of the last nine months.

However, there are several examples where this has absolutely been the case. The most obvious relates to the imposition of any restrictions at all. When this has happened we have had loud shouts of all of the following:

- You've done this too late.
- You shouldn't be doing this at all - let people take responsibility for themselves.
- These restrictions are not draconian enough - impose more.

Much of the communication has been utterly shit, and there HAS been a cycle of over-promise (or over-optimism, anyway) followed by under-delivery when the virus gets ahead of us once again.

It would be far better for everyone if, for example, a goal was given criteria for it to happen/not happen, eg "There will be a relaxation of restrictions for a 5-day period over Christmas if, on December 20th, infection rates are X, hospitalisation rates are Y, NHS load is Z. If these conditions are not met then relaxations will not be possible, and only single household Christmases will be possible."

However, I'm under no illusion that if this seemingly more sensible approach was taken, the government WOULD be accused from many quarters of dithering and not providing certainty. Starmer would be in such a rush to stand in front of a camera and berate the government that he might even appear vaguely human when we got there.

Being PM is difficult. That’s a given. If you don’t realise that don’t run for the job.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That might not be targeted at me, but I'm going to take it on anyway, as you HAVE replied to be with that on several occasions on this topic.

No one, or certainly not me, would claim that Johnson and the government have been "damned if they do, and damned if they don't" on every single aspect of the last nine months.

However, there are several examples where this has absolutely been the case. The most obvious relates to the imposition of any restrictions at all. When this has happened we have had loud shouts of all of the following:

- You've done this too late.
- You shouldn't be doing this at all - let people take responsibility for themselves.
- These restrictions are not draconian enough - impose more.

Much of the communication has been utterly shit, and there HAS been a cycle of over-promise (or over-optimism, anyway) followed by under-delivery when the virus gets ahead of us once again.

It would be far better for everyone if, for example, a goal was given criteria for it to happen/not happen, eg "There will be a relaxation of restrictions for a 5-day period over Christmas if, on December 20th, infection rates are X, hospitalisation rates are Y, NHS load is Z. If these conditions are not met then relaxations will not be possible, and only single household Christmases will be possible."

However, I'm under no illusion that if this seemingly more sensible approach was taken, the government WOULD be accused from many quarters of dithering and not providing certainty. Starmer would be in such a rush to stand in front of a camera and berate the government that he might even appear vaguely human when we got there.
It's no more aimed at you as it is aimed at myself.

I can't really say any more than the other day.
As an ever so slightly left of centre yogurt knitter, my heart should go out to the fella who never signed up for this.
Esp when it's tough to imagine his competition for PM being any better.

But once again it's just yet another meaningless date, identical to his last meaningless date with absolutely nothing to back it up.
All he's done is make his near impossible job that much harder.

All politicians, perhaps Jacinda aside, (for a whole host of reasons and even then I have no idea what the economical effects will be) are going to get hung out to dry with hindsight, so why make it so easy for us to do it in real time?

As said we can only hope this is the one glib remark that actually holds up..

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No. There’s no need for this. Good leadership, good decision making and adequate funding will suffice.

Shirley "adequate" funding means excess in normal times to have capacity to cope with excess demand? unless using pool of external resources, from private sector university and military so on in times. of course leadership from Johnson has been absent and decision making DHSC, PHE and others have been poor too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's no more aimed at you as it is aimed at myself.

I can't really say any more than the other day.
As an ever so slightly left of centre yogurt knitter, my heart should go out to the fella who never signed up for this.
Esp when it's tough to imagine his competition for PM being any better.

But once again it's just yet another meaningless date, identical to his last meaningless date with absolutely nothing to back it up.
All he's done is make his near impossible job that much harder.

All politicians, perhaps Jacinda aside, (for a whole host of reasons and even then I have no idea what the economical effects will be) are going to get hung out to dry with hindsight, so why make it so easy for us to do it in real time?

As said we can only hope this is the one glib remark that actually holds up..

Agreed, on all counts.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
This was one of the things I gave the government credit for at the beginning of the pandemic, bit I'm baffled as to how even now they're not being used. I thought there was a drive in Spring to bring back some retired doctors/nurses to help out?? Strategically you'd think 9 months in they'd find a way to use this extra capacity to their advantage. Just looks like another collosal waste of money.

Via a relative, I know of an orthopaedic consultant in Kent who has been asked to help in a Covid ward. He hasn't had any general medical experience for 15 years. If we believe the statements that the new strain is 70% more transmissible, logically a lot more nurses and doctors are going to get Covid. Things could get scary quite quickly.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Via a relative, I know of an orthopaedic consultant in Kent who has been asked to help in a Covid ward. He hasn't had any general medical experience for 15 years. If we believe the statements that the new strain is 70% more transmissible, logically a lot more nurses and doctors are going to get Covid. Things could get scary quite quickly.

I won't lie, I am so depressed at the moment, and the next few months, an accumulation of what we've already been through and endless months if lockdown and doom really scare me.

:nono:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

All NHS staff are being vaccinated

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex

My wife is a Health Visitor in the north of the county and having to self test every week. Was redeployed as a community health care assistant in the last lockdown and loved every minute of it, particularly taking the time to chat with the elderly, lonely and vulnerable whilst changing dressings etc.. I make no secret of the fact that she remains at a high risk with her (and colleagues) continued efforts and couldn't be prouder!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

When?

Currently it's being given to:

some people aged 80 and over who already have a hospital appointment in the next few weeks
people who live or work in care homes
health care workers at high risk

that is not all NHS staff.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Who is making excuses out of interest?

Those who think that criticism is based on a prejudice against the bloke. Those who think that anyone as PM is going to get criticised so this PM is no different.

From the start of this thing we have needed leadership. Part of that is management of expectation. Part of that is exploring apparently unpalatable options. Part of that is treating us as adults. A big part of that is putting the country before personal or party interest. Our PM has been found lacking on all this. And more.

Of course it’s difficult. Of course this wasn’t expected. But events happen.

Anyway, I’ve no gripe with you. Just frustration at this shit show.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here