Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing question/help……..vibrating water pipe

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
In the time it's taken to read this I could've fitted a new tap..
:lolol: :lolol: I don't want my landlord to kill me for fitting tap washers!! I've done it before on the same taps & I just don't understand how it's gone so wrong this time. I should've just left the dripping taps! 😀

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
….just to add, it was this, and even for a useless **** like me with this type of stuff it was little more than a five minute job. Thanks again :thumbsup:
Sorry, I've just completely taken over your thread!! :(
But my embarrassment at messing up a tap washer is less under the radar than if I'd started my own thread! I couldn't go through with posting it on Tue! 🤦‍♀️

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Kitchen, I did it while a plumber was upstairs changing the bathroom taps and all the water was turned off from the outside (it leaks if you do it on the inside stop cock). And yes I was stupid enough not to turn off the kitchen taps before going upstairs to check there wasn't leaks for him when he switched it on for the outside. And yes I did have the plug in to make sure I didn't drop the screw down the plughole. :lolol:
The plumber was still here the 1st time it stopped & he accused me of shoddy workmanship as it appeared the washer had got stuck. He put the washer under the lip (which I had already done, honest) and then the next day it stopped again. I opened it up (using the isolating valve under the sink to shut off the supply to hot tap) and the washer had come off again, sent Jnr to plumbing shop & they didn't have the washer but gave him a similar size to try, that didn't work at all. So I tried another washer & it worked... for a while. Tried a different size washer & that was fine for a while, I'm at the point where I don't know if another washer has come off again, because I can't see a reason why they are coming off they go on tight & under the lip. And all this BSP thing, wtf is that about! :lolol: Plumber assured me it's 3/8th's which is the one's I originally bought. The cold tap is completely fine & luckily enough I have a dishwasher but it's annoying to have to boil a kettle to wipe down the sides.
Plumber is not back 'til the 14th but that's to replace the elec shower that broke! 🤦‍♀️
So basically bathroom taps have been messing around for ages, had a gas safety check & asked plumber to replace the bath taps, and made an appointment for him to come back on the day of the Ajax game. Shower broke in the meantime, he was a no-show on the day of the Ajax game (I have nice neighbours that have been letting us use their shower) but came round on Sat to fix bath taps & say I need a new shower & replaced the bath taps, which is when I changed the washers (No Sat pricing).
Just for extra info I have a radiator that's not working properly, bled it & water came out straight away. It's all become a series of events that's mystifying to me. :unsure:
BSP is British Standard Pipe, it’s a name for a type of thread.

Go down Screwfix and get this, hopefully your tap head will fit it.
The washer on yours is probably coming off because the central hole maybe too big.

IMG_1287.jpeg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Never thought of this!
I had someone complaining that they could hear the cold water tank filling up in their loft after I fitted a new brass ball valve 🙄 think the old one must have been so slow that it didn’t make much noise.
The brass ball valves on sale now are poor quality, I had 2 fail earlier this year so I started using the Fluidmaster type.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
What could possibly go wrong........
I can tell you the answer to this.. . you manage to make it leak from the middle bit & it gets really wobbly. 😂

Attachments

• 16989526761298446418907150953177.jpg
    16989526761298446418907150953177.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
BSP is British Standard Pipe, it’s a name for a type of thread.

Go down Screwfix and get this, hopefully your tap head will fit it.
The washer on yours is probably coming off because the central hole maybe too big.

View attachment 169089
I think I've f**ked it completely now! See response above to @Cheshire Cat. I did that then undid the barrel again after it made no difference to find the washer had come off again. I may have been over zealous stopping the water. On the plus side I've managed to get hot water to wash up the frying pan that I don't put in the dishwasher. 😂

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Kitchen, I did it while a plumber was upstairs changing the bathroom taps and all the water was turned off from the outside (it leaks if you do it on the inside stop cock). And yes I was stupid enough not to turn off the kitchen taps before going upstairs to check there wasn't leaks for him when he switched it on for the outside. And yes I did have the plug in to make sure I didn't drop the screw down the plughole. :lolol:
The plumber was still here the 1st time it stopped & he accused me of shoddy workmanship as it appeared the washer had got stuck. He put the washer under the lip (which I had already done, honest) and then the next day it stopped again. I opened it up (using the isolating valve under the sink to shut off the supply to hot tap) and the washer had come off again, sent Jnr to plumbing shop & they didn't have the washer but gave him a similar size to try, that didn't work at all. So I tried another washer & it worked... for a while. Tried a different size washer & that was fine for a while, I'm at the point where I don't know if another washer has come off again, because I can't see a reason why they are coming off they go on tight & under the lip. And all this BSP thing, wtf is that about! :lolol: Plumber assured me it's 3/8th's which is the one's I originally bought. The cold tap is completely fine & luckily enough I have a dishwasher but it's annoying to have to boil a kettle to wipe down the sides.
Plumber is not back 'til the 14th but that's to replace the elec shower that broke! 🤦‍♀️
So basically bathroom taps have been messing around for ages, had a gas safety check & asked plumber to replace the bath taps, and made an appointment for him to come back on the day of the Ajax game. Shower broke in the meantime, he was a no-show on the day of the Ajax game (I have nice neighbours that have been letting us use their shower) but came round on Sat to fix bath taps & say I need a new shower & replaced the bath taps, which is when I changed the washers (No Sat pricing).
Just for extra info I have a radiator that's not working properly, bled it & water came out straight away. It's all become a series of events that's mystifying to me. :unsure:
Get the plumber to replace the stop cock, so you can dick around with the rest at your leisure.
2 common causes of rad not working well, if it has a thermostatic valve, the valve may have got stuck, especially if it had been shut off for a long period, other common cause is an out of balance system. You Tube will show you what to do.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Get the plumber to replace the stop cock, so you can dick around with the rest at your leisure.
2 common causes of rad not working well, if it has a thermostatic valve, the valve may have got stuck, especially if it had been shut off for a long period, other common cause is an out of balance system. You Tube will show you what to do.
I appears I can't change a tap washer, so I'm not touching the radiators. :ROFLMAO:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here