Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing question/help……..vibrating water pipe

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just checking whether there is a 5 minute job that might fix an issue before calling someone in……

We’re getting a loud vibrating noise from (I think) our cold water feed - only happens when upstairs taps/showers are being used, and usually 20-30 seconds after say the shower has been turned on. Only happens for a short time but is pretty loud. Have checked in the loft and pretty sure it’s the cold feed pipe into the main storage tank (and can hear the vibration downstairs obviously), and sounds like it’s maybe become detached from fixings in the wall or something like that - seems as though the pipe runs up through the wall cavity (based on where it emerges in the loft - ie on an outside wall) into the loft so if that’s the case looks like far more than a 5 minute job……?

Grateful for any insight from our resident exspurts…..

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Good timing, they'll be back from lunch any time now :wink:

*edit* Maybe I should add I've never had anything but top service from the NSC plumbing gang :thumbsup:

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Good timing, they'll be back from lunch any time now :wink:
Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Air lock?? Don't listen to me though, I'm still wondering why my hot tap won't work after changing a washer but I'm too embarrassed to ask here! :lolol:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
You’re supposed to turn the water back on again :smile:
I did, unfortunately I'd forgotten to put the tap barrel back in (Tragically, I'm not even joking)! :lolol: It's driving me mad, it works for a bit then stops! The cold side is fine with no problems, so I'm only a half dimwit. (y)

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I did, unfortunately I'd forgotten to put the tap barrel back in (Tragically, I'm not even joking)! :lolol: It's driving me mad, it works for a bit then stops! The cold side is fine with no problems, so I'm only a half dimwit. (y)
Air lock. If it’s a Monobloc tap then hold your hand over the spout, open the hot first then gradually open the cold so the cold flows back up the hot to clear the air. Shut the cold off then let the hot drain out coughing and spluttering until it runs clear.
If two separate taps then use a hose.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Air lock. If it’s a Monobloc tap then hold your hand over the spout, open the hot first then gradually open the cold so the cold flows back up the hot to clear the air. Shut the cold off then let the hot drain out coughing and spluttering until it runs clear.
By Monobloc, I'm assuming you mean a mixer tap? I'm also assuming that you mean stop the flow of water with my hand? Just to be clear I know nothing about plumbing & all Jnr has leant on his course so far is how to bend and solder pipes. Which is not in anyway helpful to me! :smile:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What could possibly go wrong........

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
By Monobloc, I'm assuming you mean a mixer tap? I'm also assuming that you mean stop the flow of water with my hand? Just to be clear I know nothing about plumbing & all Jnr has leant on his course so far is how to bend and solder pipes. Which is not in anyway helpful to me! :smile:
Yes, mixer tap & Yes hold tight.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is it a kitchen or bathroom mixer tap?
How did you isolate the hot water to change the washer?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I had a pipe that made loads of noise when a tap was opened quickly anywhere in the house, reckoned it was a failing stop cock that doesn't work, bits breaking off inside maybe. Left it for a while, meaning to get round to replacing it but too busy.

Then it stopped making the noise. Well worth leaving stuff at times.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Is it a kitchen or bathroom mixer tap?
How did you isolate the hot water to change the washer?
Kitchen, I did it while a plumber was upstairs changing the bathroom taps and all the water was turned off from the outside (it leaks if you do it on the inside stop cock). And yes I was stupid enough not to turn off the kitchen taps before going upstairs to check there wasn't leaks for him when he switched it on for the outside. And yes I did have the plug in to make sure I didn't drop the screw down the plughole. :lolol:
The plumber was still here the 1st time it stopped & he accused me of shoddy workmanship as it appeared the washer had got stuck. He put the washer under the lip (which I had already done, honest) and then the next day it stopped again. I opened it up (using the isolating valve under the sink to shut off the supply to hot tap) and the washer had come off again, sent Jnr to plumbing shop & they didn't have the washer but gave him a similar size to try, that didn't work at all. So I tried another washer & it worked... for a while. Tried a different size washer & that was fine for a while, I'm at the point where I don't know if another washer has come off again, because I can't see a reason why they are coming off they go on tight & under the lip. And all this BSP thing, wtf is that about! :lolol: Plumber assured me it's 3/8th's which is the one's I originally bought. The cold tap is completely fine & luckily enough I have a dishwasher but it's annoying to have to boil a kettle to wipe down the sides.
Plumber is not back 'til the 14th but that's to replace the elec shower that broke! 🤦‍♀️
So basically bathroom taps have been messing around for ages, had a gas safety check & asked plumber to replace the bath taps, and made an appointment for him to come back on the day of the Ajax game. Shower broke in the meantime, he was a no-show on the day of the Ajax game (I have nice neighbours that have been letting us use their shower) but came round on Sat to fix bath taps & say I need a new shower & replaced the bath taps, which is when I changed the washers (No Sat pricing).
Just for extra info I have a radiator that's not working properly, bled it & water came out straight away. It's all become a series of events that's mystifying to me. :unsure:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Kitchen, I did it while a plumber was upstairs changing the bathroom taps and all the water was turned off from the outside (it leaks if you do it on the inside stop cock). And yes I was stupid enough not to turn off the kitchen taps before going upstairs to check there wasn't leaks for him when he switched it on for the outside. And yes I did have the plug in to make sure I didn't drop the screw down the plughole. :lolol:
The plumber was still here the 1st time it stopped & he accused me of shoddy workmanship as it appeared the washer had got stuck. He put the washer under the lip (which I had already done, honest) and then the next day it stopped again. I opened it up (using the isolating valve under the sink to shut off the supply to hot tap) and the washer had come off again, sent Jnr to plumbing shop & they didn't have the washer but gave him a similar size to try, that didn't work at all. So I tried another washer & it worked... for a while. Tried a different size washer & that was fine for a while, I'm at the point where I don't know if another washer has come off again, because I can't see a reason why they are coming off they go on tight & under the lip. And all this BSP thing, wtf is that about! :lolol: Plumber assured me it's 3/8th's which is the one's I originally bought. The cold tap is completely fine & luckily enough I have a dishwasher but it's annoying to have to boil a kettle to wipe down the sides.
Plumber is not back 'til the 14th but that's to replace the elec shower that broke! 🤦‍♀️
So basically bathroom taps have been messing around for ages, had a gas safety check & asked plumber to replace the bath taps, and made an appointment for him to come back on the day of the Ajax game. Shower broke in the meantime, he was a no-show on the day of the Ajax game (I have nice neighbours that have been letting us use their shower) but came round on Sat to fix bath taps & say I need a new shower & replaced the bath taps, which is when I changed the washers (No Sat pricing).
Just for extra info I have a radiator that's not working properly, bled it & water came out straight away. It's all become a series of events that's mystifying to me. :unsure:
In the time it's taken to read this I could've fitted a new tap..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here