Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plumbing Advice

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Blimey! Raincoats, scuba gear, teapots? This sounds like a great spectator sport.
Can I have the event loaded onto my season ticket?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Update to Plumbing Advice

Thanks again for all the help

Hot water cylinder was fine no sign any blockage. Definitely an air lock problem between the cylinder and taps/shower. Plumber is going to move the vent pipe. There are long horizontal runs of piping in roof (We live in a bungalow) and the vent pipe runs horizontally from top of airing cupboard going vertical at the cold water tank which 6 feet away.

Hope that makes sense.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
Just realised that the above does not make sense! The vent comes of the hot water pipe by the cold water tank. My plumber believes air is getting trapped in the 6 foot horizontal hot water run between the top of the airing cupboard and the cold water tank. He is proposing to intoduce the vent at top of airing cupboard.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Is it all because there is not enough water around at the moment...... sorry.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I live in a bungalow, so share some of your problems, particularly if I drain the system down for any reason. I get air locks galore when refilling, but these are always cured by the wet and dry vacuum trick.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Just realised that the above does not make sense! The vent comes of the hot water pipe by the cold water tank. My plumber believes air is getting trapped in the 6 foot horizontal hot water run between the top of the airing cupboard and the cold water tank. He is proposing to intoduce the vent at top of airing cupboard.

I did know what you meant as I have worked in plenty of bungalows in Seaford, some of the Southbank Homes bungalows have some funny hot water pipe work where the hot water draw off pipe comes off the vent in the loft.

The cold feed pipe from the cold water storage tank to the hot water cylinder should have a fall, it should also be in 28MM pipe, I also recommend you have a lever valve fitted and not a gate valve if you are having alterations done.

You should also have a separate hot water draw off pipe taken from just above the hot water cylinder.

I'm guessing you have a solid floor and the hot water pipe work is in the loft and not under floor.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
washer.png

This little beauty was the problem. It's 2 1/2 inches across. After draining down system twice, moving air vent, this was found floating in the cylinder as it was refilled. What it is from do not know but can now operate bath hot tap and power shower again. My plumber said he has never seen anything like it in 30 years.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
View attachment 52117

This little beauty was the problem. It's 2 1/2 inches across. After draining down system twice, moving air vent, this was found floating in the cylinder as it was refilled. What it is from do not know but can now operate bath hot tap and power shower again. My plumber said he has never seen anything like it in 30 years.

Is it plastic or metal?
What does your plumber think it is?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
View attachment 52117

It's left behind in all plumbing systems by the previous plumber in the knowledge that it will get them recalled in future to resolve but not so soon they don't get paid

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Plastic. My plumber did not know as he said he had never seen anything like it in 30 years.

When the cold water tank in the loft has the holes cut out for the tank connectors, something like this is left in the hole cutter and I have seen the odd one left in a cold tank, but as you have said its 2 1/2 inch diameter it's too big, also the edges look too smooth.
My guess is it got into the cylinder in the factory where it was made.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
When the cold water tank in the loft has the holes cut out for the tank connectors, something like this is left in the hole cutter and I have seen the odd one left in a cold tank, but as you have said its 2 1/2 inch diameter it's too big, also the edges look too smooth.
My guess is it got into the cylinder in the factory where it was made.

Yet the cylinder has been here since 1998. Why now has it appeared? My plumber did say it might be something that was in the cylinder from the installation but he still had never seen anything like it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here