Plumbing Advice

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
2ypevll.jpg

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The hose pipe trick will only work if the cold is mains fed. If it comes from the same cold tank as feeds the hot water system then there will be no differential pressure.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If I could do this with New Zealand's Finest Sauvignon Blanc I will have died and gone to heaven----just after my liver:ohmy:

I did some work in a pub this week, :drink: the jobs not all bad, I pulled forward a toilet cistern and £7.40 fell out from behind it,
Happy days:p

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
We all have them ; Turning off the water without filling the kettle or having a No:2 first is my favorite stupid trick..

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
My favorite taking a trap off a basin than emptying it down the basin donebthis a few times

I was fitting a new waste to a kitchen sink for an old lady, she asked me if I wanted some tea, I had my head under the sink, next minute I had the contents of her tea pot on my head.
Oh how we laughed.:)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We all have them ; Turning off the water without filling the kettle or having a No:2 first is my favorite stupid trick..

Rule of Plumbing number 1- Fill up the kettle before turning off the water.

Most of the time I work in occupied homes and I always tell the customer when the water is going off, and ask them if they have enough water, the answer is usually yes, I then ask if the kettle is filled, 9 times out of 10 this gets me a cup of tea.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Thanks for all the advice. Have checked the cold water tank in the loft. All seems well with ball valve operating ok and no sign of blockage on the outlets. The bath has a mixer tap as does the hand basin. Cold water in the bathoom is not mains fed. Also have a pumped shower which takes a direct feed from the hot water cylinder. That is also struggling to get hot water so I presume I must have some form of blockage either in the cylinder or pipework. Hot water supply to kitchen and utility room seem unaffected but they are served by a small pipe feed (15mm?) whereas the bath pipe feed is bigger (22mm?) as is the hot water feed to the shower pump.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Given that you cant use the cold water trick, try this if you have a wet/dry vacuum cleaner. Turn on the hot tap and attach the vacuum hose. This will suck out any air or debris.

Good luck.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Bang on! :lolol:
Rule of Plumbing number 1- Fill up the kettle before turning off the water.

Most of the time I work in occupied homes and I always tell the customer when the water is going off, and ask them if they have enough water, the answer is usually yes, I then ask if the kettle is filled, 9 times out of 10 this gets me a cup of tea.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Given that you cant use the cold water trick, try this if you have a wet/dry vacuum cleaner. Turn on the hot tap and attach the vacuum hose. This will suck out any air or debris.

Good luck.

:eek:Uncle C, don't you think we have had enough floods recently:wrong: :wink:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Thanks for all the advice. Have checked the cold water tank in the loft. All seems well with ball valve operating ok and no sign of blockage on the outlets. The bath has a mixer tap as does the hand basin. Cold water in the bathoom is not mains fed. Also have a pumped shower which takes a direct feed from the hot water cylinder. That is also struggling to get hot water so I presume I must have some form of blockage either in the cylinder or pipework. Hot water supply to kitchen and utility room seem unaffected but they are served by a small pipe feed (15mm?) whereas the bath pipe feed is bigger (22mm?) as is the hot water feed to the shower pump.

Personally, I think you have an air-lock between the hot water draw off from the top of the cylinder and some of your hot water outlets.
I would ask, has this happened before, and if not, has the hot water temperature gone up recently?
You could be getting air caused by the water being too hot.
To be honest it could be one of several problems and Iv'e got forty years of experience:shrug:

Failing this get a plumber in:

You may need bn9 bha-------but not tomorrow as he will be otherwise ENGAGED:albion2:
Just make sure you have plenty of tea & biscuits tho:)
He will definitely give you a BIG discount for being a fellow fan:rolleyes:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
:eek:Uncle C, don't you think we have had enough floods recently:wrong: :wink:

I have a bungalow where there are long runs of pipe and lots of potential for air locks. This has always worked for me :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Personally, I think you have an air-lock between the hot water draw off from the top of the cylinder and some of your hot water outlets.
I would ask, has this happened before, and if not, has the hot water temperature gone up recently?
You could be getting air caused by the water being too hot.
To be honest it could be one of several problems and Iv'e got forty years of experience:shrug:

Failing this get a plumber in:

You may need bn9 bha-------but not tomorrow as he will be otherwise ENGAGED:albion2:
Just make sure you have plenty of tea & biscuits tho:)
He will definitely give you a BIG discount for being a fellow fan:rolleyes:

Thanks Simmo, I will be putting you on commission soon:smile:

I'm glad I have a season ticket as it stops me working on a Saturday, I've had a usual Friday afternoon job today, had enough of Plumbing, again :rant: Builders should stick to building :censored: walls and not installing bathrooms :wrong:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here