Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Plucky little Bournemouth

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
At least we're in a position to find out...

What's your mega ground actually brought you ?

Will all due respect to fellow NSCers and all that, this board is not representative of the views of most BHA fans. More power to your elbow AFC (oh and Edna doesn't like Eddie too much, as you may be aware)

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Can't blame them for spending the money once they've got there. Such is the way of the world, that's their reward.

Still annoyed that they- and other clubs- cheat to get there though. It's not like we're skint, but the Albion made a decision to adhere to the FFP rules, because they assumed there would be some sort of punitive action for clubs who didn't. And then teams like Bournemouth- and others- basically gave that ruling a great big **** YOU and spent whatever they wanted.

Why should we abide by rules that others ignore? And why should we lose out as a result?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't sit easy with most of us......however did you really make a decision not to break FFP based on what might happen to other clubs ..really? or is it simply that you didnt have the financial clout to do so after building your ground .

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I'm pretty sure it doesn't sit easy with most of us......however did you really make a decision not to break FFP based on what might happen to other clubs ..really? or is it simply that you didnt have the financial clout to do so after building your ground .

We did yea, not saying it was the correct decision but that's how we had it sold to us.

And to be honest, why wouldn't we think that not adhering to/breaking the rules wouldn't result in significant penalties?

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I'm with you on that one! I know two Watford STHs too, another tinpot club. And how have Swansea survived for so long? And the Nigels...

The only thing that consoles me is that clubs like them cannot survive in the top league indefinitely. They only need a few bad signings/some serious injuries/ a manager leaving, and they'll be fighting relegation.

Look at the sides in the Championship and League 1 who are much 'bigger' than those 4 clubs. Their time will come!

I cant see why the dislike of smaller clubs doing well in the PL ,I would rather see the likes of Watford,Swansea Bmuff etc doing well than the same old faces getting richer and richer and looking down their noses at everyone else,its good to see them getting unerved by the smaller clubs .
As for being a bigger club ....they may well be in stadia or so called history but they certainly are not in the bank balance ,history is what it is history.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Not a lot yet but when / if we finally get up it'll reap dividends - along with the training ground etc.

In the meantime enjoy your fun.

Can I ask how you work that out. If you go up you will be in exactly the same position as all the other bottom half clubs struggling to stay in the premier league.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I ask how you work that out. If you go up you will be in exactly the same position as all the other bottom half clubs struggling to stay in the premier league.

You, as a Palace fan, can very definitely **** off from this thread :wink:

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Would you rather being in the bottom half of the PL with your set up, AFCB's set up or ours? Honestly?

I know it guarantees f**k all but it can only help surely. Even with your red and blue tinted specs?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
Would you rather being in the bottom half of the PL with your set up, AFCB's set up or ours? Honestly?

I know it guarantees f**k all but it can only help surely. Even with your red and blue tinted specs?

Firstly I would rather be in our position, Bournemouth's and then yours if it was out of the three. The reason is simple, you are not in the premier league.
Now let's suppose we were all in the premier league, would still rather be in our position as we have been there a lot longer and already have a lot better players(despite last year's debacle in the last five months). Not to mention a lot more money owing to the fact we have been there longer.
Big fancy stadiums and training grounds are all well and good, but I really genuinely only care about the football and also what it costs me to watch it.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
I hope the old saying "Cheats never prosper" will eventually turn out true for Bournemouth.

Unlike many football fans, I was never taken in by the Bournemouth "fairytale success story" and their amazing transformation from League 2 paupers to a club giving Premier League giants bloody noses....but I WAS surprised at how easily the national media fell for all AFC Bournemouth's "flannel" without properly investigating how on earth it was possible - it should have been obvious that it was only possible because of "bending or breaking" FFP rules as was subsequently revealed (paltry £7 million fine and knuckles wrapped)........they should be starting this season with a 10-point deduction or even worse (a la Swindon when they were demoted because of financial irregularities).

It was even more galling that we were expected to believe Mr Smug Eddie Howe's weasel-like protestations that everything was achieved above board and on merit plus the fans telling us "we will pass FFP rules because we are due a big chunk of money from the Lallana sell-on fee".

Having watched Howe closely at Burnley, I can say he was no managerial genius and was taking us towards League One when Sean Dyche came to the rescue in October 2012 .....I'd love Dyche to come out on top again against Howe this season in the managerial stakes but the odds are against it because of billionaire "sugardaddy" Max Demin.

I'd worry about where all your money is going Lancey, if not going on any players. Debts have all been paid haven't they?

Worry about your own club you bitter t**t

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I have some respect for Bournemouth. They have a good manager and it's not just been a bankrolled promotion. They have made some good cost-effective signings. These latest signings sound expensive but are both good players with a lot of potential. I really rate Ibe - but perhaps not at that price!

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I have some respect for Bournemouth. They have a good manager and it's not just been a bankrolled promotion. They have made some good cost-effective signings. These latest signings sound expensive but are both good players with a lot of potential. I really rate Ibe - but perhaps not at that price!

"Not just been bankrolled"....you must be joking because that is exactly what it was. Read the reliable Swiss Ramble blog - in 2014/15 when Bournemouth got promoted to the PL, their wage bill was 237% of their income (a record I believe).....they spent nearly TWO AND A HALF TIMES their income on wages for those not comfortable with figures.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014

"Not just been bankrolled"....you must be joking because that is exactly what it was. Read the reliable Swiss Ramble blog - in 2014/15 when Bournemouth got promoted to the PL, their wage bill was 237% of their income (a record I believe).....they spent nearly TWO AND A HALF TIMES their income on wages for those not comfortable with figures.

When AFC Bournemouth (why not Bournemouth FC?) "bought" their "fairytale" promotion there was widespread rejoicing in the national sports media and by fans of big PL clubs whose knowledge of Football League affairs was very limited or non-existent, so I hope that when AFCB are relegated it will bring the same amount of celebration and rejoicing from all TRUE football fans, who prefer to see success achieved within the rules and a sense of FAIR PLAY.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm not quite sure how them spending money they now receive for being in the prem can be used as some sort of dig.

Are they meant to not spend it to maintain their "plucky" status?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
What position does mings play? He was about 10m not sure if right or left sided full back.

Hull are nailed on bottom, other two looking like Watford and burnley based on transfer activity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
To the Bournemouth fan who earlier posted that most Burnley fans hold Smug Eddie in high regard, the truth is that but for Eddie's alleged bad case of "home sickness/nagging wife" the Clarets would probably be in League One now or even worse.

So for that, Mrs Howe you will get my eternal gratitude.:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here