Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please for the love of god move the away support from behind the goal

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Well I moved to join in with the Police Box crew today and it was a non-stop throat-rupturing effort from absolutely everyone in the vicinity... but that probably means somewhere between 50 and 200 people... amongst a stadium of 30000. I had a great time, enjoyed the atmosphere a lot more, and remain desperately disappointed that a lot more people don't join in. I wish I knew how to change the attitudes of those who only join in for an occasional 'Albion, Albion', or don't even clap, but I don't know how to.

Tony Bloom said he'd listen to any reasonable and workable suggestions but bar giving people discounted tickets if they sing, I don't know what to suggest.

I think having the away fans nearer the North would help no end though because today's accounts of 3000 majestic Fulham voices leading their team to victory couldn't even be heard from where we were, so I doubt they even knew we were there.

Rivalries are better than competitions; reacting is easier than leading; joining-in is more natural than starting.

I echo Tony Bloom's challenge to everyone out there to 'make some noise', clap along with songs you don't know the words to or just have a go at singing when the "We're the (insert location) stand, Brighton boys", is on the menu.

Yeah, easy for me to say and I'm being critical of everyone who just wants to enjoy a football game, but someone out there must have an idea that isn't a drum, is simple, and will work. Help, please.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bet the Fulhamistas aren't saying tonight we have a 'souless, out of town, tin pot, clone of a stadium'.

Come to think of it we haven't had many threads from whining and whinging opposition forums, this season.
I can't think why.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fulham hardly made a peep till they went behind and then fair play to their fans and their team they decided to have a go. The North stand can be utter shite at creating any atmosphere. I sit on the half way line so I can draw comparisons and the North are embarrassing for a home end at times. We were 1-0 up and they still hardly made any noise.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Many clubs do NOT give the away following the areas directly behind either goal. Instead, a long list of PL, La Liga and Championship clubs, all allocating away fans to a corner or near a corner. I think the OP has a good point.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
Fulham hardly made a peep till they went behind and then fair play to their fans and their team they decided to have a go. The North stand can be utter shite at creating any atmosphere. I sit on the half way line so I can draw comparisons and the North are embarrassing for a home end at times. We were 1-0 up and they still hardly made any noise.

They?! The North Stand are "they"?

Maybe you and your halfway line mates can join in and talk about 'we', i.e. the atmosphere "we" create. It might make all the difference in the world, to those of "us" who are doing our best. Come on - give it a go. :albion2:

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
So tell me why pretty much every club in the land does this?

I assume away fans are put where is most convenient, most easily policed and best segregated from home fans.

Also, behind the goal is one of the worst views at any stadium and the club are least likely to sell season tickets to home fans there..

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Statistically teams win more games at home and obviously sportsmen, athletes achieve their best when people are cheering them on. Putting away fans as far away from the pitch as possible is obviously going to give us a greater advantage. Please can we sort this out, instead of giving every other club an edge and a genuine hope of a nice away day at the Amex.

I would say the crowd is the smallest part of "home" advantage.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I can think of plenty of other grounds where they put the away fans behind a goal: QPR, Wigan, Wednesday, Bolton, Forrest, Huddersfield, Watford. And that's just off the top of my head, so to say that we're the only team that does it is quite frankly bollocks.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Also, behind the goal is one of the worst views at any stadium and the club are least likely to sell season tickets to home fans there..

Worse than the corner?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Time and time again we are seeing a large away following come to our ground and have a party cheering their team on to victory in the second half. I can count on one hand the amount of grounds that give is the whole end behind a goal. Yes you win or lose on the pitch but we don't need to make it easier for the opposition off it as well.

Sort it out in the summer. We are virtually the only club not to have caught onto this obvious ploy.

I can think of plenty of other grounds where they put the away fans behind a goal: QPR, Wigan, Wednesday, Bolton, Forrest, Huddersfield, Watford. And that's just off the top of my head, so to say that we're the only team that does it is quite frankly bollocks.

I didn't, I said VIRTUALLY.

Based on grounds I have been to, only about 15% have fans behind the goal.

Only Charlton, Huddersfield and Brentford in our division, that I can think of. Some give part of the stand behind the goal but only these three give the bit behind the goal.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We have thousands of our fans sitting in the sky's of WSU.
Do they not realise that whilst they have a crap long distance view of the game they have NO IMPACT on the game or support of the team.
Away fans should be out of the way in WSU whilst we are at both ends...

Have you seen a match from the front of the WSU ?
I'm near the front of the WSU at the North end and it's definitely not a crap long distance view. I should imagine the front row seats on the half way line have a brilliant view.

Plenty of support for the team from the WSU, believe me.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I didn't, I said VIRTUALLY.

Based on grounds I have been to, only about 15% have fans behind the goal.

Only Charlton, Huddersfield and Brentford in our division, that I can think of. Some give part of the stand behind the goal but only these three give the bit behind the goal.

There's the other 5 that are currently in our division that I mentioned to make it at least 8.

Of the teams that we've played recently that aren't in our league that I can also think of: QPR, Burnley, Burton, Peterborough, Yeovil, Barnsley - again just off the top of my head.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Time and time again we are seeing a large away following come to our ground and have a party cheering their team on to victory in the second half. I can count on one hand the amount of grounds that give is the whole end behind a goal. Yes you win or lose on the pitch but we don't need to make it easier for the opposition off it as well.

Sort it out in the summer. We are virtually the only club not to have caught onto this obvious ploy.

Hardly any team has brought big numbers to the Amex this season. Fulham did and they were very quiet until they looked liked getting something out of the game.

A big away following from any side normally makes the home crowd raise their game. Palace came in huge numbers for the St Patrick's Day Massacre. Best home game ever at the Amex.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Spoken to my Fulham friends who said Albion box above them were spitting and throwing coins, all recorded on their phones.

Hope they get a nice long ban.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I haven't been down much this season so can't be accused of a knee jerk reaction to another s### result, but yes. I totally agree.

Great that the club treat away fans so well, but take the away fans from behind the goal.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think having the away fans nearer the North would help no end though because today's accounts of 3000 majestic Fulham voices leading their team to victory couldn't even be heard from where we were, so I doubt they even knew we were there.

North east corner here

hear the away fans very well,very rarely hear anything from the police box people,can see them clapping and jumping around etc but usually no noise

probably something to do with positioning yourself under a very very low ceiling where sound cant travel.

absolutely no problem hearing the fans making noise in the central north stand area just a few metres away

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here