Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playing budget to increase by no more than 10%

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Just heard this on radio Sussex from Gus himself......reality or just a cunning ploy to stop target prices being hiked up to much ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Clearly (and wisely) playing down the warchest methinks.
Mind you, clubs already know we're minted now, so I'm not sure it'll do much good.

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
thats what I thought , he wasn't too convincing. He also said we would stay between 5th and 10th in terms of budgets in league 1....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
we of course dont know what the current budget is or how much of it is spent :wink:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am not really sure we are "minted"

Ok, Bloom has financed the stadium, however the club still has to try and stay afloat when we are losing money at Withdean. I seem to recall Perry stating that the break even figure crowd wise at Withdean was 6,000 and that was long before we let the kids in at £130 or what ever their ST costs.

So assuming we are losing money and the directors are having to finance it ( or we are in Portsmouth's situation) then I would have thought the only way we can afford new players will be to see the ones we have that we don't want and spend that money.

I think people tend to get carried away with Bloom's wealth and his inclination to spunk it on the team.

Oct 25, 2003
10% increase from what though? Poyet might've had a massive budget but chose not to spend it all

5th in the division sounds about right when there are the likes of southampton, mk dons etc.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I am not really sure we are "minted"

Ok, Bloom has financed the stadium, however the club still has to try and stay afloat when we are losing money at Withdean. I seem to recall Perry stating that the break even figure crowd wise at Withdean was 6,000 and that was long before we let the kids in at £130 or what ever their ST costs.

So assuming we are losing money and the directors are having to finance it ( or we are in Portsmouth's situation) then I would have thought the only way we can afford new players will be to see the ones we have that we don't want and spend that money.

I think people tend to get carried away with Bloom's wealth and his inclination to spunk it on the team.

Spot on...

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I think the point is that it's 10% of what exactly!!!! An attempt to play down expectation of fans and convince other clubs that we may negotiate with that we don't have a massive budget. The point really is look at what Gus has done with a squad that is not really his. We will be play off's next season me thinks.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Money spent on the stadium is going to generate an income through spin offs, advertising, increased capacity and rent. Large sums spent on a team does not guarantee success. He is shrewd and I would imagine that there is money to be spent, if he sees it as being beneficial. That is when he has to trust our scouting network and management team. I wouldn't imagine that he has been able to fund the stadium by throwing silly money about. Ignoring his poker habit..!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I think the point is that it's 10% of what exactly!!!! An attempt to play down expectation of fans and convince other clubs that we may negotiate with that we don't have a massive budget. The point really is look at what Gus has done with a squad that is not really his. We will be play off's next season me thinks.

Agreed. Don't forget we did actually spend a fair whack last season with Bennett, Dickinson, Tunnicliffe etc

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Agreed. Don't forget we did actually spend a fair whack last season with Bennett, Dickinson, Tunnicliffe etc

Indeed - 10% on top of what we spent last year would be a reasonable sum and we should recoup a little at least on selling Dickinson and Davies.

Just thinking about those with (potentially) more to spend than us assuming Leeds and Millwall go up................. Sheff W, Southampton, Huddersfield, Swindon, Charlton (maybe) Peterborough (maybe) - puts us comfortably inside the top 10 in terms of money to spend.

MKDons are skint (which is why Ince is going).

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Bloom is not gonna do a Mark Goldberg and just spend spend spend and then find out that not only are the Albion broke, but he is too.

I think our playing budget was already okish for this league, so a 10% increase will push it to top 5 or so.

Spending a fortune is no guarantee of promotion. Spending on the right player or so is. Then its down to the manager and coach to spend wisely and get the best out of players.

I doubt we will see a Gary Hooper type player at Brighton this season, more like £500k max on a striker.............Ashley Barnes anyone?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I've watched barnes 3 times and I think he's done really well, contests everything, good engine, and getting goals.

BUT he is not good enough as ther target man in a 451, he could hold his own, but in that formation he would not get us in the playoffs. In a 442 fine.

So, in short, yes I'd buy him for £75k as a squad player.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With getting rid of Forster Cox Virgo Whing maybe and a few others we should be able to get decent quality in.
Im not worried by this at all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it worth adding, Gus also wants to reduce the squad size to 23.

That frees up some more wages as well. Forster must have been on a fair whack - combine his wages with Cox's and we surely have an appealing wage for a top league 1/championship striker and we haven't even needed to go into the 10%, which can be used for improving the other areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here