Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

players who underperformed/underachieved at international level?

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I know I'll probably get slated on here, but Theo Walcott is my current under-achiever.

IMO, he's not improved one bit since he joined Arsenal.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I would say Iniesta, Puyol and Xavi are at least as good as Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney, Van Persie. They do not become mega-stars as they don't play in positions that score goals, and players who score goals become mega-stars as the press big them up all the time.
Maldini is one of the best players to play the game but rarely gets mentioned as he was not an attacking goal scoring player.

Exactly.

This also reminds me of the Daily Mail back page from afew years ago at the Ballon D'or (i think)

"The five best players in the world ..... and Xavi"

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I know I'll probably get slated on here, but Theo Walcott is my current under-achiever.

I respect your opinion (always said before I completely disagree) but he has improved greatly in my opinion and the stats suggest it.

Last season he scored 14 and assted 11 which put him 4th on the league assist table and 4th on the overall Goals+assists table just behind Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez. Those two were lauded for their contribution.

This season he has an assist in the league and I think 2 already in the champions league. It may even be 3.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Len Shackleton who was dropped after a cheeky chipped goal over the keeper of World Cup holders West Germany was deemed disrespectful in 1954.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I respect your opinion (always said before I completely disagree) but he has improved greatly in my opinion and the stats suggest it.

Last season he scored 14 and assted 11 which put him 4th on the league assist table and 4th on the overall Goals+assists table just behind Gareth Bale and Luis Suarez. Those two were lauded for their contribution.

This season he has an assist in the league and I think 2 already in the champions league. It may even be 3.

Last season his overall record in all competitions:
Games started 33
Goals scored 22
Assists 16

Ps I wasn't being THAT self centred and quoting myself. I was MEANT to edit my original post!

Oct 25, 2003
Think Dean Ashton should have been given a chance with England earlier...probably while he was at Norwich when it was clear that he added something that no other Englishman could (size AND technical ability). Shame his injuries came when they did.

Also think Owen Hargreaves could have been used better before his injury problems ruined his career....he had the added bonus of not growing up in the English system.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Think Dean Ashton should have been given a chance with England earlier...probably while he was at Norwich when it was clear that he added something that no other Englishman could (size AND technical ability). Shame his injuries came when they did.
QUOTE]

His performance when we got well beaten by Crewe at Withdean stands out to me as one the best performances by an opposition player that I've ever seen against the Albion

Oct 25, 2003
His performance when we got well beaten by Crewe at Withdean stands out to me as one the best performances by an opposition player that I've ever seen against the Albion

remember it well...and I agree, I'm not sure I've seen better. He single handedly destroyed us.

Could have led England's front line for years...he's still only 29 ffs

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
remember it well...and I agree, I'm not sure I've seen better. He single handedly destroyed us.

Could have led England's front line for years...he's still only 29 ffs

He did his ankle in 2006 didnt he? 7 years ago, meaning he was basically done (as he never fully recovered) at 22/23

Crazy.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

I agree. If you look at how much Oxy Chambeermaid improved in a year or so, I don't think Walcott has much in all his years. When he starts losing his pace, he'll have little left. I know lots of Arse fans, and none of them rate him.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I know lots of Arse fans, and none of them rate him.

Even though he was the 4th most effective attacking player (goals+assists) in the whole of the Premier League last season?

Seems odd. I know 3 Arsenal season ticket holders and they think he's their most dangerous outlet. Not neccessarily the most talented (that goes to Cazorla) but the most effective by far.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Alan Hudson, Frank Worthington,Tony Currie, Le Tissier, Alan Clarke, Malcolm McDonald, Rodney Marsh, any of these would walk into the present England team

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Alan Hudson, Frank Worthington,Tony Currie, Le Tissier, Alan Clarke, Malcolm McDonald, Rodney Marsh, any of these would walk into the present England team

All great shouts too. Hudson was a ridiculously skilful player. What say everybody about Cantona? No denying he was brilliant in the Premiership, can't recall him doing anything for France. He probably had a bust-up though, knowing him.

And would Messi be another? Happy to be shot down over this one. (edit - someone beat me to it)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here