<Baldock 5.83 (57mins, 23 votes)
>Crofts 5.72 (24mins, 18 votes)
>Zamora 5.39 (40mins, 18 votes)
>Manu 5.29 (12mins, 17 votes)
Dunk 4.72 (97mins, 23 votes)

Squad Average: 6.36

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale: 7. Good save, otherwise another quiet game.
Bruno: 6 - Not up to his recent standard
Rosenior: 7 - Doing a solid job
Hunemeier: 7 - a rock.
Dunk: 5 - Disappointing after particularly commanding performances at Reading and especially at Sheff Weds. It seems he still has a rush of blood every few games. Very lucky that the Ref gave Lewis the benefit of the doubt over the penalty claim.
Stephens: 6 - Another performance slightly below his recent standards.
Kayal: 6: Ditto - their midfield partnership was not as imposing as in recent games. They seemed to run out of steam after an hour, not helped by failing to bring March and Murphy into the game and keep MK Dons on the back foot.
March: 8 - MoM. Well taken goal, reward for his impact in the 1st half. Becoming more consistent, harder to shake off the ball and willing to get stuck into tackles too. Keep it up Solly.
Baldock: 6 - Didn't get many chances yesterday but we certainly missed his work rate when he went off. Without his pressing and movement MK Dons were far more comfortable at the back and this only gave them more time and space to create more pressure on us.
Hemed: 6 - Really needed him to stick one of his chances away.
Murphy: 7 - An enigma, moments of brilliance and frustratingly peripheral at others. For a wide player he does seem to have the handy knack of getting into position for a close finish (thank goodness). Maybe he could cover for Baldock in his absence....

Zamora: 5 - I'm not sure he is fully fit. Didn't complete the warm up at Reading where he then had little impact as a Sub, then missed Sheff Weds. Plus really needs a mobile Baldock type of player off him, rather than Hemed
Crofts: 6 - Needed him to bolster midfield and counter the momentum gained by MK Dons.
Manu: 5: - Early days but speaks volumes that Hughton doesn't seem to have enough confidence to use Elvis more proactively.

3 points for change which keeps us nicely in the top two - at 2-0 we should have kicked on but were let down by the recurring lack of clinical finishing to kill opposing teams off. Combined with another touch of 'Amex-itis' for the team - it seems we can stroke the ball around in imperious fashion during away games but somehow lose momentum against the stragglers at home. Seems to rub off on the crowd and affects the atmosphere, when really the place could / should be rocking.

This is the game I watched and I even made the same point about Murphy replacing Baldock. I'd argue that I thought Murphy was equally as good as March but I guess it's splitting hairs really.

The points you make highlight the one flaw that I think CH seems to have at this level - his substitutions don't often positively impact the game for us. Bringing a central midfielder on at the time Crofts came on was correct, but it needed an Ince rather than a Crofts to cover runners and give more structure to the midfield. And we only needed a central midfielder to come on at that time because we'd lost the midfield when we no longer had an option in behind their defence which gave them the confidence to play a higher line and come on to us. Replacing Murphy for Manu must have been for purely fitness reasons because it certainly wasn't a tactical move to allow us to regain control of the game at that stage.

Still, 3 points is 3 points.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Stockdale - 6
Bruno - 3
Dunk - 3
Hunnnmeire -8
Rosenior - 8
Murphy - 8
Kayal - 8
Stephens - 8
March - 10
Hemed - 2
Baldock - 2
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I would like, just once, to walk away from a win this season and be happy with our whole performance. It's remarkable how flat and disappointed I feel with the performances served up, given how great the results have been.

For the first 20mins, we were great. But as soon as MK Dons scored, we just completely deflated, not just the players, the fans seemed to, as well, and by the end of the game it felt like one of those matches you're drawing and are looking for a winner.

I'm not sure Zamora and Hemed work as a pairing. The two of them kept making the same runs, going to the same area of the pitch.

Has Dunk gone off playing at the Amex? He was poor yesterday, poor v Preston and Bristol but between those two and yesterday, he apparently put in strong away performances v Reading and Wednesday.

Stockdale - 7 Important save at his near post, and neat footwork. Not as affected by the conditions as the Dons' keeper
Bruno - 5 Gave the ball away/hit it out of play far too often
Huenemeier - 8.5 Had to contend with Bruno and Dunk either side both putting in below par performances
Dunk - 4.5 Based on the last few home performances, he should give way when Greer returns. Was beaten for the goal, should have conceded a penalty.
Rosenior - 8 Strong performance, showed awareness to direct Murphy to cover, key block late on.
Murphy - 8 Strong Performance.
Kayal - 6.5 Not as good as usual
Stephens - 6.5 Not as good as usual
March - 8 Strong Performance
Hemed - 6 It feels like fall-back, cheap analysis to say, but I think it actually applies this time. If he gets one, he'll go on a run (that will probably end and have another drought, then eventually another run, etc)
Baldock - 6 I think Baldock is the example that shows that cheap analysis isn't always true. I don't think he'll go on a run after getting one. But, I think we definitely missed him when he went off. We lost a lot of movement and pressure up front without him.

Zamora - 5 Seemed too distracted by their niggling full back to have any real impact on the game
Crofts - 5 Eh
Manu Not sure he was on long enough to judge him in the long term, but I thought his contribution was generally positive, bar his finishing.

I'm probably too late, but I'd go with these marks, although the marks seem out of kilter with your comments, particularly given that you're not normally the most generous of markers.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It bemuses me that people still think like this about Stockdale. He's made one mistake that cost us a goal this year, against Reading, a game which he had already kept us in with great saves. Huddersfield is a classic example of what I was talking about last season. You would not have criticised Kuipers or Kuszczak for that goal but, because you have an axe to grind with Stockdale, you do blame him.

As for not winning us points, he kept us in the game against Blackburn when it was 0-0 (three points won), won us the game against Bristol City as they had a number of chances at 1-1 (three further points) and, finally, made a crucial save at 2-1 on Saturday (another potential two points). I will ignore your criticism of Stockdale for the goal on Saturday as, frankly, it's such a ridiculous thing to say it's not worth responding to.

As for replacing him if we went up, we may do that but, out of the current first eleven, I'd say Stockdale is quite high on the list of those who might actually start next season.

Spot on. The axe-grinding is not exclusively directed at Stockdale though.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Do you have a link to that?

As I said in my other postings, I think he's a competent Championship goalkeeper but for me, he's not specifically worth any points over the course of the season. He's far from being the worst keeper we've had, but he's not in the class of some of the others from the last 20 years, not for me.

Christ you really need to watch other goal keepers to know how good a job Stockdale is doing for us at the moment.

I see howler after howler each week, many in the premier league, Stockdale has been outstanding this season for us, along with many others.

If you seriously believe Stockdale could have got anywhere near MK Dons goal on Saturday then you are head mental !

Your clearly one of these people that think every goal we concede is avoidable and you look for people to blame, that isnt always the case

On saturday that goal was Dunk's fault, we all know that, to even hint at someone else smacks of another agenda.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Christ you really need to watch other goal keepers to know how good a job Stockdale is doing for us at the moment.

I see howler after howler each week, many in the premier league, Stockdale has been outstanding this season for us, along with many others.

If you seriously believe Stockdale could have got anywhere near MK Dons goal on Saturday then you are head mental !

Your clearly one of these people that think every goal we concede is avoidable and you look for people to blame, that isnt always the case

On saturday that goal was Dunk's fault, we all know that, to even hint at someone else smacks of another agenda.

Spot on. Dunk let Maynard get away too easily, but he punished that well. The ball was hit hard, well directed and bounced in front of Stockdale. De Gea might have palmed it away, but I don't think many other PL keepers would. Stockdale is right up there as one of PotS, and was a lot better than the one who got PotS last year, despite making a number of poorly-timed howlers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm probably too late, but I'd go with these marks, although the marks seem out of kilter with your comments, particularly given that you're not normally the most generous of markers.

I still record later ratings, but don't always post amended averages.

I don't tend to be generous, but I also don't often tend to mark particularly low (<5) a run of the mill bad game tends to me a 4.5 for me. It has to be spectacularly bad to go much lower than that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here