Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players At Euro 2020 - Bottles Gone

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think it is as simple as them being expected to be complicit in advertising a product they don't agree with (Ronaldo has been openly critical of sugary soft drinks and Pogba is a Muslim and doesn't drink or want to endorse a beer company). Growing up in the early noughties, no player would've made any gesture showing an opinion on anything at all. They aren't saints for removing a Coke bottle - just good to see that the current generation aren't sitting there as placid empty vessels that just kick a ball. We are all hypocrites after all, especially when it comes to consumerism.

I'm definitely not saying that Pogba and Ronaldo are going to lead the revolution and bring down capitalism; to think footballers were secret Marxists who were actively trying to undermine the capitalist status quo through symbolic gestures would be mental...

These players can afford to dabble in protest. Nothing to do with a new generation and nothing to do with the other issue you keep alluding to. All we are seeing is the consequences of players with nothing to lose financially from making the gesture. Player power comes from the wallet. I’m also pleased to see them doing it though.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There will have been millions of impressionable little kids who saw Ronaldo push those coke bottles away and pick up a bottle of water instead. It's a powerful message that in a few seconds probably made more of an impact than a year's worth of public health campaigns would. All credit to the fella :clap2:

Yep, all credit to him....

Junk food & Gambling....

Not forgetting the accusations in America....

Yep all credit to him....

Not

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 132
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 133

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wonder if this admirable new trend away from junk food/drink will spread from players to managers?

Swansman you may want to look away NOW

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Guy Butters did the same thing with Fray Bentos .

Sales dropped so dramatically after he removed the Steak and Kidney pie tin out of camera shot , the company almost went out of business.

When asked why he removed the pie Butters replied "No tin opener" .

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yes,I was really impressed with Ronaldo.
Such a small gesture but will have huge impact, especially for any kids watching.
I have decided to join Ronaldo and drink more water and stop drinking coke, especially when I saw the amount of profits they make,which was another thing that was highlighted by Ronaldos actions.

Pogbas gesture of removing the lager hasn't had the same impact ,but fair play to him for standing up for his religious beliefs.

I would love it if Ben White is interviewed and removes all the drinks but replaces them with a couple of bottles of Harvey's.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I actually don't think its a case of them bucking the trend, more a case of them cocking a snoot at Uefa, who get that sponsorship money.
Not for one minute do I think they are revolutionary reactionist, many, many of them take a pretty penny from dubious sources be it sponsorship or free holidays to dodgy countries with questionable human rights ethoses.

Makes them seem cool though to move a bottle of coke....

Not

This!

I don't expect Sterling and Pogba to be rejecting their Pepsi contracts due the health implications.
However I can see them being pissed off with UEFA hijacking their image rights, with a conflicting sponsor.

In truth it was a pretty shitty move by UEFA.
What next a half eaten Maccy Ds next to the microphone?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
There will have been millions of impressionable little kids who saw Ronaldo push those coke bottles away and pick up a bottle of water instead. It's a powerful message that in a few seconds probably made more of an impact than a year's worth of public health campaigns would. All credit to the fella :clap2:

Christ on a ****ing bike. The man has advertised coke, and recently advertised Pepsi. As well as their sugar free alternatives which are arguably worse for you.

Make a stance against the gambling industry, alcohol and junk food which ruin the lives of many multitudes more people than easy pickings Coca Cola. Or one of the many other dubious sponsors associated with the game.

Didn’t think so. Seems like we’re on a trend of hollow, bordering on disingenuous gestures.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw reports that the ronaldo thing wiped £3bn off coca cola's stock market value. How ridiculous is the stock market if something like that can have such an effect. I mean, there isn't going to be a revolt. Coca cola are not going to be suffering for sales. Hell, they sell water, too! (Dasani is a coca cola brand).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Christ on a ****ing bike. The man has advertised coke, and recently advertised Pepsi. As well as their sugar free alternatives which are arguably worse for you.

Make a stance against the gambling industry, alcohol and junk food which ruin the lives of many multitudes more people than easy pickings Coca Cola. Or one of the many other dubious sponsors associated with the game.

Didn’t think so. Seems like we’re on a trend of hollow, bordering on disingenuous gestures.

So you don't think what Ronaldo did there was a positive thing?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

A naive person might think it was positive.

A cynical person might think it was out of self interest.

Come on Tom Hark Preston Village, the man has had, and has more dubious sponsorships than good.
Ronaldo has only his image and rights to look after, it is all self perpetuating.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Come on Tom Hark Preston Village, the man has had, and has more dubious sponsorships than good.
Ronaldo has only his image and rights to look after, it is all self perpetuating.

What if the truth is somewhere in between..?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Drinking coke in excess is already declining rapidly, it’s now more of a drink to enjoy on occasion (The company has so many other products nowadays that they don’t even depend on the traditional coke can anymore).

Drinking alcohol in excess is plateauing, and is far worse for you.

Consumption of junk food (which includes vegetarian and vegan options, many of which offer next to zero nutritional value) is rising.

As is gambling which devastates peoples lives on a daily basis.

If he is going to make a statement, going after coke will have little impact other than their share price (it’ll recover) rather than telling kids that gambling is a waste of time and money which could very well have a huge impact on generations to come.

In short, no. He has to do far more if he wants to disassociate himself with the machine of football, what perpetuates it and has generated him an absolute fortune throughout his career.

I don’t expect him to do it, and I wouldn’t blame him. This though is just a hollow gesture with questionable intent.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ronaldo is near the end of his career, and has spent the vast majority of it promoting junk food, fizzy drinks and online gaming. The negative effects of that are huge. If he thinks he can wipe the slate clean by moving a couple of Coke bottles he is much mistaken. He, like UEFA, is a hypocrite.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Little kids are by definition naive, and happily so. They'll have plenty of time ahead of them to become bitter, twisted and cynical

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Drinking coke in excess is already declining rapidly, it’s now more of a drink to enjoy on occasion (The company has so many other products nowadays that they don’t even depend on the traditional coke can anymore).

Drinking alcohol in excess is plateauing, and is far worse for you.

Consumption of junk food (which includes vegetarian and vegan options, many of which offer next to zero nutritional value) is rising.

As is gambling which devastates peoples lives on a daily basis.

If he is going to make a statement, going after coke will have little impact other than their share price (it’ll recover) rather than telling kids that gambling is a waste of time and money which could very well have a huge impact on generations to come.

In short, no. He has to do far more if he wants to disassociate himself with the machine of football, what perpetuates it and has generated him an absolute fortune throughout his career.

I don’t expect him to do it, and I wouldn’t blame him. This though is just a hollow gesture with questionable intent.

It's one little step, with clear signs of others at this tournament falling into step behind him and rejecting the products of some of the crappier sponsors. It's a start. Who knows where it will end? :shrug:

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
I actually don't think its a case of them bucking the trend, more a case of them cocking a snoot at Uefa, who get that sponsorship money.
Not for one minute do I think they are revolutionary reactionist, many, many of them take a pretty penny from dubious sources be it sponsorship or free holidays to dodgy countries with questionable human rights ethoses.

Makes them seem cool though to move a bottle of coke....

Not

Pogba is currently adorning many millions of bottles of Pepsi

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here