Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Players At Euro 2020 - Bottles Gone

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Drinking coke in excess is already declining rapidly, it’s now more of a drink to enjoy on occasion (The company has so many other products nowadays that they don’t even depend on the traditional coke can anymore).

Drinking alcohol in excess is plateauing, and is far worse for you.

Consumption of junk food (which includes vegetarian and vegan options, many of which offer next to zero nutritional value) is rising.

As is gambling which devastates peoples lives on a daily basis.

If he is going to make a statement, going after coke will have little impact other than their share price (it’ll recover) rather than telling kids that gambling is a waste of time and money which could very well have a huge impact on generations to come.

In short, no. He has to do far more if he wants to disassociate himself with the machine of football, what perpetuates it and has generated him an absolute fortune throughout his career.

I don’t expect him to do it, and I wouldn’t blame him. This though is just a hollow gesture with questionable intent.

He just moved 2 bottles of coke out of the way, then just said 'water', perhaps in the moment realising there might be some signifcance. I think there is a lot of overthinking going on. Is it even a gesture to be hollow and was there any intent on his part - who knows. :shrug:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I saw reports that the ronaldo thing wiped £3bn off coca cola's stock market value. How ridiculous is the stock market if something like that can have such an effect. I mean, there isn't going to be a revolt. Coca cola are not going to be suffering for sales. Hell, they sell water, too! (Dasani is a coca cola brand).

It's a ridiculous claim rather than a ridiculous reality - A 1.7% drop in a stock price isn't exactly unusual (Coca-Cola has risen and fallen by more on other days this year) - But that does't stop a great story does it? I think before Ronaldo has any sort of respect for this, maybe he should apologise for all the things he has promoted over the years? And what all the products he continues to benefit from, Heineken, Pepsi etc etc? Footballers really are something else....

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
It's a ridiculous claim rather than a ridiculous reality - A 1.7% drop in a stock price isn't exactly unusual (Coca-Cola has risen and fallen by more on other days this year) - But that does't stop a great story does it? I think before Ronaldo has any sort of respect for this, maybe he should apologise for all the things he has promoted over the years? And what all the products he continues to benefit from, Heineken, Pepsi etc etc? Footballers really are something else....

Has he ever prersonally endorsed a drinks brand other than the low sugar content soccerade?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
ITV expert panel for this afternoon’s football is the peak of personality removal!

Check it out at half time.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
A little pointless, given they were bottles of Heineken 0.0 alcohol-free lager.

I think pogba removed them because Heineken is a lager and he didn't want to promote lager because he is a Muslim which is fair enough.

But also as an athlete he is saying lager is not a good choice of refreshment if you want to achieve success.

Or maybe he noticed it was zero alcohol and thought"what the hell is this shit,get me a proper beer please".

I have to say I agree with him whatever the reasons.
It was a great gesture and a good example to set for any youngsters who are Pogba fans and also any adults who are lager fans.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
sorry but you cant seperate the gesture of drinking less sugary drinks and the company coca cola

The players must be rabid free market capitalists, booooooooo

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'm with the players on this. Additionally, teams are forced to have to do these ridiculous press conferences where nothing exciting is ever revealed and the players put forward mostly hate it. Can understand fully why they move the advertising .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here