Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player you were excited that we'd signed but turned out to be cack

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Tony Stokes and Albert Jarrett.

Just did a Wiki search for Tony Stokes. He has been setting the world on fire with Concord Rangers FC in the Conference South. 124 appearances with 78 goals. :guitar:

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Another vote for Jason Peake. £120K was a huuuge amount of cash in 1996 for a 4th division player who was cack at even that level.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Not quite cack, but I was so very excited when Wardy came back and so very disappointed when I compared his performances with his first stint.

Oct 25, 2003
Granted I had heard of both Tevez and Mascherano before thet signed for West Ham, but the concept of us signing two young players from Argentina was just too exciting not to draw parallells!

i get extremely excited whenever we sign anyone foreign as you know and i tend not to really care if they are shit or not...in fact it's sometimes a bonus. Baz and Battipiedi are two of my favourite albion players of all time for that very reason.

oh, and baz taking that penalty against woking....which won the shoot out even if he didn't really realise it had

Oct 25, 2003
oh- another decent shout:

GAI ASSULIN

i think his reputation as 'the next messi' had been slightly over played. Looked reasonable but was overhyped massively. Didn't actually do anything despite looking quite skillful

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I have to say in recent times one of the most amusing was Roland Bergkamp as most were expecting shades of Dennis!!!

As other have mentioned kitson is a good shout as is Liam Dickinson

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I seem to remember Christian Baz working the 'keeper with a bicycle kick volley from the edge of the box in a pre-season friendly. Thought we'd signed a technician of the first order, but I don't think either he or Battipiedi got used to the English game at all.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I seem to remember Christian Baz working the 'keeper with a bicycle kick volley from the edge of the box in a pre-season friendly. Thought we'd signed a technician of the first order, but I don't think either he or Battipiedi got used to the English game at all.

Wonder what Baz is up to now. I know Battipiedi was in the Dev squad last season but I'm assuming he was released before the start of this one.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Are we putting CMS in this category yet?

Kazenga LuaLua
Fran Sandaza
Gavin Hoyte
Graeme Smith
Liam Dickinson
Stephen Dobbie

Dobbie definetely.
I don't think anyone can seriously claim Sandanza and KLL were cack for us

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here