Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player recruitment has been THE failing

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
How much is Dan Ashworth’s fault? He has to be very involved with who is or isn’t recruited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am amazed how this man is not taking much more flack for his role in our current situation
When he first arrived he described his role as keeping the manager in his job, he also said it was his role to insure that all teams played the same way and all things football as a technical director
Results appeared to go down hill under Hughton soon after his involvement and has not improved under Potter
He was also put in charge of recruitment and we all can see the failings in bringing players in that were required to strengthen in all departments
I also wonder how much he was behind the appointment of Potter?
I feel questions have to be asked about his work to date

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Goals AND assists

He set up all 3 in their 3-0...

And a hat trick against Liverpool isn’t something to hold against him

And you could probably make a comment about penalties as well ... though this misses the point.

Forget the numbers, you can see Maupay isn't right at the moment. He's not breaking into the box, see seems slow of thought and is coughing up possession every time he gets it. He's been bloody awful and is only playing as often as he is due to paucity of options.

Despite this, clearly there's a player there and he does know how to score. This is where GP has to earn his corn and show he can bring a player out of the doldrums

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I am amazed how this man is not taking much more flack for his role in our current situation
When he first arrived he described his role as keeping the manager in his job, he also said it was his role to insure that all teams played the same way and all things football as a technical director
Results appeared to go down hill under Hughton soon after his involvement and has not improved under Potter
He was also put in charge of recruitment and we all can see the failings in bringing players in that were required to strengthen in all departments
I also wonder how much he was behind the appointment of Potter?
I feel questions have to be asked about his work to date

Firstly I’m not defending Ashworth as I have no idea what he has an influence on.

However, he didn’t start his job until March 2018 by which time the team were already struggling under CH and recruitment all but done for that season.

I think most of the ‘dud’ signings certainly pre date Ashworth’s time at the club and has to take some credit for his involvement with signings of Lamptey, Welbeck and Lallana.

At the time Potter was appointed he was asked about if he was involved and he said that TB had brought Potter to the table as a suggestion and that Ashworth agreed he was a good manager. TB had been monitoring Potter for several years if I remember rightly.

However you are right that this summer’s lack of recruitment has put us in the position we are now in .... was this due to lack of funds due to Covid ? Possibly although the big money bids for Nunez make me think we had cash to spend.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Having a playing style seemingly so heavily reliant on wingbacks and a squad with no recognized wingbacks might be a bit of a snaffoo.

We offered £10m for Readings Liam Moore in 2018, he handed in a transfer request, but they said no.

Rumours are we're back in for him again.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Firstly I’m not defending Ashworth as I have no idea what he has an influence on.

However, he didn’t start his job until March 2018 by which time the team were already struggling under CH and recruitment all but done for that season.

I think most of the ‘dud’ signings certainly pre date Ashworth’s time at the club and has to take some credit for his involvement with signings of Lamptey, Welbeck and Lallana.

At the time Potter was appointed he was asked about if he was involved and he said that TB had brought Potter to the table as a suggestion and that Ashworth agreed he was a good manager. TB had been monitoring Potter for several years if I remember rightly.

However you are right that this summer’s lack of recruitment has put us in the position we are now in .... was this due to lack of funds due to Covid ? Possibly although the big money bids for Nunez make me think we had cash to spend.

A fair point this, have we made any obviously poor signings since Ashworth took over? Not sure we have

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The results under Hughton thing is not true. The rot set in about 2-3 months before Dan Ashworth joined. From January (before Ashworth)

DLLLDLLWWL (Before Ashworth)
LLLLDLDDL (After Ashworth)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Giroud - love him. We can never understand why Fat Frank plays TA ahead of him.

I think along the lines of the loanee market too.

All guesswork by us, but I think TB would be surprised but not shocked that we are 4th bottom and cannot buy a win. No doubt a positive person/businessman, the Board would’ve been pleased with the debut season under the DA/GP combo. Not just the final points tally, but style of play and xG etc. metrics.

The bottom line is that appear to be only, maximum 5 or 6 relegation candidates this season, unlike the very long list after 16 games last season. 2016/17 had three clubs stinking the PL out. Clubs such as West Ham and Villa have spent their way away from danger.

There’s possibly a 50:50 chance we’ll drop, without a striker tucking chances away, a defensive system that stops some of these avoidable goals.

A penny for TB’s thoughts and plans tonight!

Yup, fully agreed there.
On WH, I can't fathom why they spent £25m on Benrahma, and they've hardly used him, and already have Bowen and Yarmolenko that play in that position. (We could also add Lanzini, Andersen and Fornals to that list.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here