Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player recruitment has been THE failing

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
A huge flaw in the system has been stockpiling midfielders and centre backs of similar ability creating a horribly unbalanced squad with half the team not getting game time and not addressing our obvious gaping holes at full back, strikers and wingers.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Propper is a class player, first game back this season. Several of the others are no where near good enough and shouldn't be picked, but are, as we try and mix things up, surprise the opposition etc. Burn, really? If i was Potter i wouldnt pick him, but his does, often, so thats at his door.

TB has the call to make, how much of this is recruitment and how much the coach. Neither are showered in glory, but the mess made of tonight is fairly damning.

What makes proper a class player .. for me a lower than average prem league player , or are we simply playing him in the wrong positions ?. If so then our coaching staff sucks . For me its a combination of both , but in all honesty he is not a class player

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
TB made the strategic decision, with his recruitment/analytical team, to avoid expensive tried n tested EPL players, players who’d break our modest (by EPL standards) pay structure. We’ve dabbled in the Dutch League with huge imho blunders. Both CH and GP have been hamstrung with squads lacking in key areas.

Or putting it another, which of the following players would be chased by EPL clubs should we drop next summer?:

Propper
Burn
Gross
Jahanbakhsh
Ryan
Bernardo

I’d venture, none.

Recruitment has just also been mentioned on Amazon as our failing.

Whether or not Potter is sacked, we have some substandard players in and around our first team, not good enough in their roles by a long way. The club took the punt and it’s failing - 3.5 years on a knife edge battling relegation.

They need to act in early January.

Bar Jahanbakhsh and Bernardo the other players have done well for us previously in the PL. It's our complete lack of pace (not Lamptey) and power from recruitment/Potter that has let us down.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
We need quality over quantity we could buy a decent striker for the combined fees and wages of a handful of our surplus midfielders

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What we need to now do is overhaul our attacking options.

The model is Fulham and their defence. They've basically binned off their entire back 4 and by hook or crook, got a decent back line together and it may keep them up.

We need to do the same. In January .... at the start of January

We should get whatever money we can for our 3 attacking players. Ali J, Maupay, Trossard. Loan out Zeqiri and Connolly.

By hook or by crook, get in 4 new attacking players. Tau may be one of them. So that leaves 3.

It won't be easy or cost effective, but somehow we need to get some quality on the books, even if it's just 6 month loans. It's time to start looking at the short term. No more looking to the dim and distant future.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Of those listed Gross (player of season in first year in PL) Proper and Ryan have had good seasons, Burn is a good squad player and didn’t cost a lot so only Ali J and Bernardo haven’t been a success. So based on evidence recruitment team has done well

mashman156

Aug 7, 2009
Southampton
The issue is that when your midfield, dominates as they have in most games and gets to the final third we are not clinical enough.

Need to find that ellusive instinctive finisher. Its going to cost big money

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
TB made the strategic decision, with his recruitment/analytical team, to avoid expensive tried n tested EPL players, players who’d break our modest (by EPL standards) pay structure. We’ve dabbled in the Dutch League with huge imho blunders. Both CH and GP have been hamstrung with squads lacking in key areas.

Or putting it another, which of the following players would be chased by EPL clubs should we drop next summer?:

Propper
Burn
Gross
Jahanbakhsh
Ryan
Bernardo

I’d venture, none.

Whether or not Potter is sacked, we have some substandard players in and around our first team, not good enough in their roles by a long way. The club took the punt and it’s failing - 3.5 years on a knife edge battling relegation.

Correct and [emoji817] on the money.

I’d give Burn a slight pass as he’s still a decent squad player. The rest have disappointed and let us down so many times, even AJ seems to be devoid of spark. Welbeck is a fine addition to the squad but the guy has been prolific. Lallana has undoubted quality but if he can’t even last a half, what’s the point.

I was very negative about both these signings initially, but I admit I was swung by the while NSC feel good on these players and their initial appearances.

It’s hard to argue that recruitment has let us down, especially up front and for a long time now. We’ve known we needed to replace Glenn for years. And Zequiri? Come on. He doesn’t even play.

The manager has set us up in a way to create chances in every game, but as we all know, we never take them.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The issue is that when your midfield, dominates as they have in most games and gets to the final third we are not clinical enough.

Need to find that ellusive instinctive finisher. Its going to cost big money

Not only this. , but who from midfield actually runs and drives forward like Arsenal did for their goal , We prefer to play the pussyfoot slow build up and hope to outpass a team towards goal .

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Bizarre tactics and team selection have nothing to do with that. He’s absolutely clueless. Should have gone after almost losing at home to ten men Sheffield United.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Propper
Burn
Gross
Jahanbakhsh
Ryan
Bernardo

I’d venture, none.

Said it when CH was here as well. Spot on for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Bar Jahanbakhsh and Bernardo the other players have done well for us previously in the PL. It's our complete lack of pace (not Lamptey) and power from recruitment/Potter that has let us down.

Gross - time and a lack of pace has caught up with him, still some decent games, but many others simply pass him by. I can only see a future role for him if the rest of our entire midfield/forwards have great pace and stamina.

Propper - a poor man’s Gross. He looks the part, but has produced so few goals and assists in his 3.5 seasons, no pace, physically weak in 50:50’s, giving the ball away in dangerous positions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of those listed Gross (player of season in first year in PL) Proper and Ryan have had good seasons, Burn is a good squad player and didn’t cost a lot so only Ali J and Bernardo haven’t been a success. So based on evidence recruitment team has done well

So why 3.5 seasons on the brink of relegation, under two entirely different style of managers?

£250m spent.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Like it or not bloom needs to answer these questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

made the point numerous times, its either moneyball aint working or the recruitment team are incompetent.

But there is a load of total dross in this squad. I'd argue the players we've binned in Knockaert, Duffy and Muzza were all as good than the crap thats left.

Brentford seem to have got it licked in the championship, we've had a couple of hits and bucket load of misses

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I do agree, but still feel we have enough players in our squad to be higher up the table than we are currently. Not setting the PL alight, but certainly a comfortable amount of points away from the relegation spots.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Propper
Burn
Gross
Jahanbakhsh
Ryan
Bernardo

I’d venture, none.

We need a playing style that matches our personnel. Once again we have square pegs in very round holes.

None of those players would be chased by a PL team. Nor would Connolly, Molumby, Webster, Veltman or Maupay.

On the other hand Lamptey, Dunk, Lallana, White and Bissouma would have more than one suitor.

The issue isn't JUST recruitment. It's that we've taken an England level Technical Director and given him a coach and recruitment manager used to getting the best out of players in Sweden.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
3 years ago these players were ok ........Not now

Quite, and our squad is better than at any point ever ( although Murray did deceive and flatter in a positive way that cannot currently be replicated.)

No one had a shocker today, no one made any stupid mistakes, its just some of our players aren't good enough, either against the specific opposition, or in the way we play.

The obvious reaction/solution is to change the style of play . . . . . . Next step manager . . . . Expensive alternative is recruitment. . . .which we probably can't afford and if we could, its a gamble mid season. . . .

Get a load of bullshit staff like Dan Ashworth off the pay roll and we could probably afford to be competitive next season, whatever the league. It still amazes me his arrival coincides with our slow painful slide and no ones really screamed about it. Consultants are financial leeches, not growers.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
What makes proper a class player .. for me a lower than average prem league player , or are we simply playing him in the wrong positions ?. If so then our coaching staff sucks . For me its a combination of both , but in all honesty he is not a class player

This, Propper completely flatters to deceive, creates virtually nothing and doesn’t score- ship him out

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I just can’t swallow budget as an excuse when £250m has been spent on players. That is an eye watering amount of money, the problem is that it has just been largely wasted on European punts from 2nd tier leagues.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We need a playing style that matches our personnel. Once again we have square pegs in very round holes.

None of those players would be chased by a PL team. Nor would Connolly, Molumby, Webster, Veltman or Maupay.

On the other hand Lamptey, Dunk, Lallana, White and Bissouma would have more than one suitor.

The issue isn't JUST recruitment. It's that we've taken an England level Technical Director and given him a coach and recruitment manager used to getting the best out of players in Sweden.

I’d never deny that GP has faults and has gaffed.

Let’s say we need a nucleus of 14 quality players to be a comfortably mid table club. I’d agree with the 5 you mention. We’re way short.

Or raising another question if I may, if Pulis, Howe or Tuchel replaced GP tomorrow, but weren’t permitted to recruit in January, how would they with certainty stop the hammer blow goals we’re leaking, whilst improving our goals buried? How would they deal with:
1. A gaggle of giant CB’s who can’t score?
2. A gaggle of giant CB’s who let in key goals?
3. Injured Lamptey?
4. No LB with pace and defensive surity?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here