Wilson 6.05 (96mins, 21 votes)
Calderon 5.90 (96mins, 21 votes)
Murphy 5.45 (96mins, 21 votes)
<Zamora 5.40 (64mins, 21 votes)
<Crofts 5.24 (75mins, 21 votes)
>Manu 5.08 (32mins, 19 votes)
>Hemed 4.94 (21mins, 17 votes)

Squad Average: 6.17

It's interesting that Goldson is the third highest rated player despite being the player who scored the own goal. I haven't looked, but I imagine Dunk's average after Ipswich was a lot lower following his mistake. It's positive people are overlooking his mistake in only his second start though.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's interesting that Goldson is the third highest rated player despite being the player who scored the own goal. I haven't looked, but I imagine Dunk's average after Ipswich was a lot lower following his mistake. It's positive people are overlooking his mistake in only his second start though.

I would imagine it's a couple of things, Goldson's own goal was unfortunate, he was trying to deal with a cross that could have been stopped at numerous points in the build up going back to Wilson being easily dispossessed. And the rest of Goldson's performances was solid.

Dunk's mistake v Ipswich was a lack of concentration under no pressure, and was compounded by a second error that was rescued by Stockdale rushing out to get to the ball before the Ipswich player, and could have also conceded a penalty.

It's wrong to rate someone in one game based on their performances in other games, at least in this sense, but given Dunk's mistakes v Ipswich also came on the back of a red card after a reckless and needless challenge v QPR, conceded the corner that led to Derby's first goal when Stockdale could have easily collected, and conceded a penalty v Burnley.

I suppose it could be argued that it is not really any different to people who rate players based on their own player admiration, for example: Hemed marked lower simply because he isn't Zamora, even when his performance is comparable.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would imagine it's a couple of things, Goldson's own goal was unfortunate, he was trying to deal with a cross that could have been stopped at numerous points in the build up going back to Wilson being easily dispossessed. And the rest of Goldson's performances was solid.

Dunk's mistake v Ipswich was a lack of concentration under no pressure, and was compounded by a second error that was rescued by Stockdale rushing out to get to the ball before the Ipswich player, and could have also conceded a penalty.

It's wrong to rate someone in one game based on their performances in other games, at least in this sense, but given Dunk's mistakes v Ipswich also came on the back of a red card after a reckless and needless challenge v QPR, conceded the corner that led to Derby's first goal when Stockdale could have easily collected, and conceded a penalty v Burnley.

I suppose it could be argued that it is not really any different to people who rate players based on their own player admiration, for example: Hemed marked lower simply because he isn't Zamora, even when his performance is comparable.

100% get where you're coming from. I suppose your last point sums up where my observation was heading about how players' ratings may differ in peoples' opinions. For example, Dunk had an excellent game at CB against Wolves and didn't make a mistake, yet has an average rating lower than Goldson's who did make a mistake, but also had a good game aside from that (both points I recognised in my own ratings). I guess the point is that people aren't objective a lot of the time.

In terms of the criticisms of Dunk, I think it's hard to blame him for actually being decisive and clearing the ball out for a corner so that he's made sure his defence can get organised in the Derby game, and then criticising him for a lack of concentration and decisiveness in the Ipswich game - the two criticisms seem contradictory and it suggests the guy can't really win. I'd also argue that the penalty against Dunk in the Burnley game was unlucky - if that's a penalty then there should be 10+ penalties given against every team in every match (and I do recognise that he was holding the guy's shirt, but the Burnley player was also holding his). The rest is spot on mind.

Anyway, it was just an observation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here