Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings - wolves

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Stockdale 7 - personally I wouldn't blame him for the goal as it looked like Goldson had it covered and I can't imagine he didn't give the guy a call (and I guess we'll never know if he did). Otherwise, did his usual of making good saves alongside generally excellent distribution, even if there were a couple of poorer (by his standard) balls in the first half.

Bruno 9 - only let in one cross all game and it led to the goal, albeit it was an unfortunate goal to concede. Otherwise he was tremendous. Like another poster said, he's clearly one of our most talented footballers and at times he makes the game look so easy. Unlucky with his effort that hit the bar, and considering he essentially had the right flank all to himself, he got through a ridiculous amount of work.

Goldson 8 - he was excellent aside from his one mistake. Doesn't deserve to be dropped based on the last two performances. His pace also ensures that Bruno feels comfortable getting forward as he knows Goldson has the physical capabilities to cover him.

Dunk 8 - excellent. Calm, assured, dealt well with their attacking players and covered for Calderon so often he may as well ask for the guy's wages this week. Really should be equalised though.

Calderon 5 - tried hard but our weak link in defence. Henry ran at him time and again in the first half and we were so lucky to not be caught out. He offers nothing going forward and is severely restricting the impact Murphy has on games. When he is defending, he is so regularly out of position, either caught too far up, or too narrow. Luckily for him, Wolves weren't interested in attacking in the second half. I love the guy and his passion, but he's a square peg in a round hole.

Stephens 6 - I thought he dictated the game in the first half. Unfortunately, I think a lot of his natural game is restricted in a midfield two as he isn't given the license to get forward. Slowed the play down far too much in the second half where incisiveness and a speed in our midfield passing was needed. Clearly tired.

Kayal 7 - tried and tried. Still looks a class above at this level, like Bruno, but needs a rest. Too much of the creative burden is falling in his shoulders in central areas at the moment, yet by playing in a midfield two, much of his attacking instincts are restricted, just like Stephens. Played well, nonetheless, without finding the key.

Murphy 7 - our best creative outlet, but suffers from having no overlapping full back behind him. It's retreading old water, but I'd expect him to improve again once he has one on the outside. Nonetheless, his performance today was much improved, even if it again lacked an end product.

Crofts 4 - played in a strange, inside right position, neither supporting the midfield two, nor offering Bruno support on the right, nor getting forward enough to be a threat in the box. I'm not blaming him for this mind - it was a massive tactical error by CH and I'm surprised he persisted with him for so long when it was clear that he was negating a lot of the good work Bruno was doing.

Zamora 4 - unfortunately we just couldn't get him in the game. Didn't win much in the air, didn't hold the ball enough, didn't look like scoring really. The most worrying aspect for me was his lack of movement though, particularly in the second half. When you're dominating possession, it's the small incisive runs into the box or to drag defenders away that open up space, and he simply wasn't at the races in this regard.

Wilson 7 - gets an extra mark for playing despite being clearly ill and shattered. Tried hard, unlucky with a couple of efforts and looked to link with the other forwards. Unfortunately, he lost the ball on the half way line leading to their goal where a little more nous would've meant he'd held it. He was playing in a strange position, almost as a wide forward but up alongside Zamora, meaning his pace in behind was negating, but the Wolves back line could easily double up on him and push him into less dangerous areas. Possibly a result of Crofts position, possibly an instruction from CH, but it simply didn't work.

Manu 5 - had a couple of promising moments where his pace in behind looked to have caused some issues but his final ball wasn't good enough. Looks to have the attributes to be a good player, but appears to totally lack the brain to be one.

Hemed 4 - unlucky with one situation late in the second half where he brought the ball under control but couldn't quite get a shot away. Otherwise I don't remember him being on the pitch.

CH 4 - just got it wrong again. We have two right footed players on the left, one of which won't overlap the other meaning that our left side is naturally narrow. Bruno offered a lot of width but was asked to command the whole right flank as Crofts played a strange inside right role, yet never supported Bruno or the forwards or midfield two enough to be fully effective in either role. That meant we lacked any true width. He compounded that by asking Wilson to spend the first half running out to the right to try and support Bruno but this negated the option in behind that his pace and directness should offer us, meaning that his best work was done in areas that couldn't hurt Wolves. All of this left Zamora hopelessly isolated, particularly with Crofts aforementioned lack of support. It's a shame, because he's having to deal with a severely depleted squad due to injuries and it's little mistakes which are costing us, but he seems unable to organise the team to grind out results now that he doesn't have his big players, and that's a worry.

Still, onwards and upwards as there were positives from today's performance.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I find it increasingly difficult to separate Wilson, Murphy, and Kayal, especially when they like to switch positions, or at times seem to all crowd into one area of the pitch.

It was another one of those games where our opponents cede the midfield and instead crowd their third of the pitch. We are completely perplexed by this tactic. We have no way of breaking them down. We are slow to read the game, slow to see and make the pass, missing opportunities to make something happen. We kept trying the same thing again and again, (out to Bruno to cross it in) and it was never close to working. Most times we got into a shooting position it was straight at the keeper or high and wide.

It's also frustrating to see opponents swarm and smother every attack that gets near their box, while watching our players back off and back off giving them space and time on the ball. In fairness, that wasn't such an issue today, but it often is.

We have no movement. Not just at throw ins where it is most notable, but with general attacks. We often stand in place and wait for the pass, making us predictable and easy to defend against.

We need more movement, quicker reactions, more creativity, and someone who makes the keeper work to stop a shot.

Stockdale 7 A few errant kicks, a mix up with Goldson, but a fine save.
Bruno 7.5
Goldson 7 Mix up with Stockdale was unfortunate
Dunk 6.5 Not sure he added anything when he moved up the pitch toward the end.
Calderon 6.5 Thought he was a bit better than Tuesday, but is looking tired. Made some good covering plays
Stephens 6.5 Thought he was a little off the pace at times
Kayal 7
Crofts 6.5 Same as Stephens
Wilson 6.5 I think I'm being generous because of his illness, but he needs to stop falling over and looking for a free kick every time someone touches him
Zamora 6 Looked dangerous in the first ten minutes, but once Wolves settled into the game, he didn't feel like a threat, whenever he tried to turn his man he lost control of the ball.
Murphy 6

Manu 5 Didn't seem to use his pace much, and not in any way that made you think something would happen, often stood offside.
Hemed Not really given anything to work with

We looked quite dangerous in the first 10-15 minutes, but after that, Wolves settled down, showed some defensive discipline and we struggled.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Stockdale 7

Bruno 7.5
Goldson 6.5
Dunk 6.5
Calderon 6.5

Stephens 6
Kayal 6.5
Crofts 6
Murphy 6

Wilson 6
Zamora 6.5

Manu 5
Hemed 5

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Don't agree at all,Bruno actually had him in such a position that the cross should have been dealt with, but it wasn't.

There is more to it the diving in to block a cross (see Greer). Sometimes you jockey to a position where you feel you have numbers.

Of the games you have highlighted, I would agree with Charlton, and even then Stockdale should have an ever so slight question mark against him as well being beaten at the near post.

Hard to jockey someone when you're standing off them by 5 or more yards.
Bruno at fault again.
Look how qquickly our wide players get closed down and how we never do the same. All Bruno and Calderon do is stand off with their hands behind their backs inviting the cross.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I find it increasingly difficult to separate Wilson, Murphy, and Kayal, especially when they like to switch positions, or at times seem to all crowd into one area of the pitch.

It was another one of those games where our opponents cede the midfield and instead crowd their third of the pitch. We are completely perplexed by this tactic. We have no way of breaking them down. We are slow to read the game, slow to see and make the pass, missing opportunities to make something happen. We kept trying the same thing again and again, (out to Bruno to cross it in) and it was never close to working. Most times we got into a shooting position it was straight at the keeper or high and wide.

It's also frustrating to see opponents swarm and smother every attack that gets near their box, while watching our players back off and back off giving them space and time on the ball. In fairness, that wasn't such an issue today, but it often is.

We have no movement. Not just at throw ins where it is most notable, but with general attacks. We often stand in place and wait for the pass, making us predictable and easy to defend against.

We need more movement, quicker reactions, more creativity, and someone who makes the keeper work to stop a shot.

Stockdale 7 A few errant kicks, a mix up with Goldson, but a fine save.
Bruno 7.5
Goldson 7 Mix up with Stockdale was unfortunate
Dunk 6.5 Not sure he added anything when he moved up the pitch toward the end.
Calderon 6.5 Thought he was a bit better than Tuesday, but is looking tired. Made some good covering plays
Stephens 6.5 Thought he was a little off the pace at times
Kayal 7
Crofts 6.5 Same as Stephens
Wilson 6.5 I think I'm being generous because of his illness, but he needs to stop falling over and looking for a free kick every time someone touches him
Zamora 6 Looked dangerous in the first ten minutes, but once Wolves settled into the game, he didn't feel like a threat, whenever he tried to turn his man he lost control of the ball.
Murphy 6

Manu 5 Didn't seem to use his pace much, and not in any way that made you think something would happen, often stood offside.
Hemed Not really given anything to work with

We looked quite dangerous in the first 10-15 minutes, but after that, Wolves settled down, showed some defensive discipline and we struggled.

I agree with your ratings & comments. It's how I saw the game, too.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hard to jockey someone when you're standing off them by 5 or more yards.
Bruno at fault again.
Look how qquickly our wide players get closed down and how we never do the same. All Bruno and Calderon do is stand off with their hands behind their backs inviting the cross.

Our players are double-banked the majority of the time, in fairness to both Caldy and Bruno, neither are helped by the player in front of them who should be tracking back.

Effective defending seems alien to both Murphy and VLP. The Middlesboro first goal was a classic example, excellent movement and Bruno tracked the right player, however as VLP was ball watching their player had ample time to cross.

It is no coincidence that since March, Rosenoir and KLL have been out we have struggled.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Our players are double-banked the majority of the time, in fairness to both Caldy and Bruno, neither are helped by the player in front of them who should be tracking back.

Effective defending seems alien to both Murphy and VLP. The Middlesboro first goal was a classic example, excellent movement and Bruno tracked the right player, however as VLP was ball watching their player had ample time to cross.

It is no coincidence that since March, Rosenoir and KLL have been out we have struggled.

There were at least four or five occasions that Murphy was back doing the defending Calderon should've been doing yesterday - unfortunately Calde was caught out of position time and time again against Henry.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There were at least four or five occasions that Murphy was back doing the defending Calderon should've been doing yesterday - unfortunately Calde was caught out of position time and time again against Henry.

Really? Not sure they got near our goal more than twice.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Stockdale 7.5 ( Solid again )
Bruno 7.5 ( Superb going forward but has flaws in his game, defensively, which a lot of fans fail to acknowledge )
Dunk 7 ( He and Goldson had an easier ride against a sole striker. It was a steady performance but lets be honest, after recent weeks, he wouldn't be in the side if Greer and Hunny were fit. Heads not been right since Fulham affair and still overplays. Needs to be reminded that simple is best.)
Goldson 7 ( Has potential to be a very good player but it was a naïve og, even if Stockdale didn't call. Will learn and improve )
Calderon 5 ( All been said already. Simply not up to this level )
Kayal 7 ( Driving force who needs a playmaker alongside him. He will carry the ball strongly but can't unlock tight defences. Maybe Towell is the answer )
Stephens 6.5 ( Good passer and moves the ball around well but like Kayal, lacks that little bit of inventiveness )
Crofts 5.5 ( Hard worker but now struggling at this level. Looks a Div 1 player to me )
Murphy 5 ( Needed him to step up to the plate with loss of VLP and previously, March but singularly failed to deliver. We had to get behind Wolves and he couldn't. Kept trying to cut inside. Needed to hug touchline and draw them out. Didn't. )
Wilson 6 ( Clearly not well so excused. Does tend to overplay, though, and needs to know when to pass the ball )
Zamora 5 ( Worst game this season. Looked slow and laboured. Wrap him up in cotton wool and bring him back v Rotherham/Blackburn )
Subs
Manu 5
Hemed 5
Desperately need to get back to dynamic left side we had earlier in season. Woefully weak here at present. Playmaker needed in midfield to run at packed defences and win free kicks around edge of box. More goals needed from midfield. More forward runs needed. Need Greer back. Need to try and sign VLP. Gives more than Murphy.
Side lacks that bit of sparkle/inspiration since we lost Solly March. Defence simply conceding too many goals and is clearly our weak link going forward.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Stockdale 7 - personally I wouldn't blame him for the goal as it looked like Goldson had it covered and I can't imagine he didn't give the guy a call (and I guess we'll never know if he did). Otherwise, did his usual of making good saves alongside generally excellent distribution, even if there were a couple of poorer (by his standard) balls in the first half.

Bruno 9 - only let in one cross all game and it led to the goal, albeit it was an unfortunate goal to concede. Otherwise he was tremendous. Like another poster said, he's clearly one of our most talented footballers and at times he makes the game look so easy. Unlucky with his effort that hit the bar, and considering he essentially had the right flank all to himself, he got through a ridiculous amount of work.

Goldson 8 - he was excellent aside from his one mistake. Doesn't deserve to be dropped based on the last two performances. His pace also ensures that Bruno feels comfortable getting forward as he knows Goldson has the physical capabilities to cover him.

Dunk 8 - excellent. Calm, assured, dealt well with their attacking players and covered for Calderon so often he may as well ask for the guy's wages this week. Really should be equalised though.

Calderon 5 - tried hard but our weak link in defence. Henry ran at him time and again in the first half and we were so lucky to not be caught out. He offers nothing going forward and is severely restricting the impact Murphy has on games. When he is defending, he is so regularly out of position, either caught too far up, or too narrow. Luckily for him, Wolves weren't interested in attacking in the second half. I love the guy and his passion, but he's a square peg in a round hole.

Stephens 6 - I thought he dictated the game in the first half. Unfortunately, I think a lot of his natural game is restricted in a midfield two as he isn't given the license to get forward. Slowed the play down far too much in the second half where incisiveness and a speed in our midfield passing was needed. Clearly tired.

Kayal 7 - tried and tried. Still looks a class above at this level, like Bruno, but needs a rest. Too much of the creative burden is falling in his shoulders in central areas at the moment, yet by playing in a midfield two, much of his attacking instincts are restricted, just like Stephens. Played well, nonetheless, without finding the key.

Murphy 7 - our best creative outlet, but suffers from having no overlapping full back behind him. It's retreading old water, but I'd expect him to improve again once he has one on the outside. Nonetheless, his performance today was much improved, even if it again lacked an end product.

Crofts 4 - played in a strange, inside right position, neither supporting the midfield two, nor offering Bruno support on the right, nor getting forward enough to be a threat in the box. I'm not blaming him for this mind - it was a massive tactical error by CH and I'm surprised he persisted with him for so long when it was clear that he was negating a lot of the good work Bruno was doing.

Zamora 4 - unfortunately we just couldn't get him in the game. Didn't win much in the air, didn't hold the ball enough, didn't look like scoring really. The most worrying aspect for me was his lack of movement though, particularly in the second half. When you're dominating possession, it's the small incisive runs into the box or to drag defenders away that open up space, and he simply wasn't at the races in this regard.

Wilson 7 - gets an extra mark for playing despite being clearly ill and shattered. Tried hard, unlucky with a couple of efforts and looked to link with the other forwards. Unfortunately, he lost the ball on the half way line leading to their goal where a little more nous would've meant he'd held it. He was playing in a strange position, almost as a wide forward but up alongside Zamora, meaning his pace in behind was negating, but the Wolves back line could easily double up on him and push him into less dangerous areas. Possibly a result of Crofts position, possibly an instruction from CH, but it simply didn't work.

Manu 5 - had a couple of promising moments where his pace in behind looked to have caused some issues but his final ball wasn't good enough. Looks to have the attributes to be a good player, but appears to totally lack the brain to be one.

Hemed 4 - unlucky with one situation late in the second half where he brought the ball under control but couldn't quite get a shot away. Otherwise I don't remember him being on the pitch.

CH 4 - just got it wrong again. We have two right footed players on the left, one of which won't overlap the other meaning that our left side is naturally narrow. Bruno offered a lot of width but was asked to command the whole right flank as Crofts played a strange inside right role, yet never supported Bruno or the forwards or midfield two enough to be fully effective in either role. That meant we lacked any true width. He compounded that by asking Wilson to spend the first half running out to the right to try and support Bruno but this negated the option in behind that his pace and directness should offer us, meaning that his best work was done in areas that couldn't hurt Wolves. All of this left Zamora hopelessly isolated, particularly with Crofts aforementioned lack of support. It's a shame, because he's having to deal with a severely depleted squad due to injuries and it's little mistakes which are costing us, but he seems unable to organise the team to grind out results now that he doesn't have his big players, and that's a worry.

Still, onwards and upwards as there were positives from today's performance.

I would like to pick up on your pints regarding CH, currently he has escaped comment, however since the Charlton game it as become obvious that the opposition have done their homework on us and CH is still yet to learn from these experiences. We can cite injuries, but the simple and obvious situation is that is that CH is being out thought by the opposing manager and his selected sides and game plans are not working.

Charlton, a relegation threatened team undid us by exploiting our weak right defence on the counter, yet we did nothing to halt this.
Derby centre half was forced to make a challenge at right back and gave away a penalty
QPR, two goals up and he fails to shut shop leaving Bruno to mark Austin
Middlesborough, caught on the counter again down the rightside alarming!
Brentford, one shot on goal, but kept a clean sheet thought maybe he had sorted it out
Ipswich, they came here looking to catch us on the counter and did
Wolves, the same a Ipswich

In the last four games we have not looked like winners and scoring has become a problem. In the post match interview with Radio Sussex, CH mentioned 'we have to find a way through' nearly ten times. I'm not sure he has any solutions in his mind.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wether Stockdale called or not makes no difference to me, the defender had to deal with it, it was straight forward enough.

He only has to deal with it if the 'keeper doesn't call. This is basic football imho

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He only has to deal with it if the 'keeper doesn't call. This is basic football imho

To be honest I do not believe for one second that Stockdale did NOT call for that, but even in the unlikely event that this were the case, and Goldson was compelled to deal with the tame low cross, he still didn't actually need to kick it into his own ****ing goal!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Stockdale 8
Bruno 8.5
Calde 6.5
Dunk 7
Goldson 6.5 (drops a point because of the OG)
Kayal 7
Stephens 6.5
Crofts 6
Zamora 6.5
Wilson 7
Murphy 6.5

Manu 5
Hemed 5

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I would like to pick up on your pints regarding CH, currently he has escaped comment, however since the Charlton game it as become obvious that the opposition have done their homework on us and CH is still yet to learn from these experiences. We can cite injuries, but the simple and obvious situation is that is that CH is being out thought by the opposing manager and his selected sides and game plans are not working.

Charlton, a relegation threatened team undid us by exploiting our weak right defence on the counter, yet we did nothing to halt this.
Derby centre half was forced to make a challenge at right back and gave away a penalty
Brentford, one shot on goal, but kept a clean sheet thought maybe he had sorted it out

In the last four games we have not looked like winners and scoring has become a problem. In the post match interview with Radio Sussex, CH mentioned 'we have to find a way through' nearly ten times. I'm not sure he has any solutions in his mind.

Can't disagree with any of that. Half of the issue is he just isn't getting any balance into the side and it's having knock on effects throughout the team. We've become predictable to play against and unfortunately he no longer has the quality of player, due to injuries, to enable us to continue to be so predictable, and alongside the lack of balance at the moment, we've become very beatable. The most worrying thing is, as you said, he sees the issues, but he just doesn't know how to fix them.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Only saying what I saw him do. He gets a bad rep on here for his lack of defensive work but he worked back well on Friday.

Then you watched a different game to me. He is currently in extremely poor form and offers little in either direction as far as I'm concerned.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bruno should of stopped the cross which lead to the goal , and is now becoming a problem , Charlton , Middlesboro and now Wolves all scored from crosses which Bruno failed to block the cross .

Untrue. Even the commentators said that Bruno played correctly against Boro and Wolves. Can't be drawn out of his defensive position to stop long passes before the full back gets it. Bruno is the best stopper of crosses I have seen, but a winger is not worth being on the pitch unless he can find the space to get an occasional cross in. Bruno has failed to block a cross about six times (Antonio 1 Conway 1, Lookman, Graham, Jacob Murphy and one other?) in 25 matches which is ridiculously good. Against Charlton, Bruno underestimated the speed of Lookman but dealt with him otherwise. Sheer speed (of the likes of Lookman) is the bane of full backs.

If anything it is tactics. Calculated risk of Bruno pushing up too far. Better if Rosenoir pushed up (if fit) and Bruno operates the conventional right back position in the first half.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Nothing is ever Obvious

It is just that 4-2-4/4-4-2 is very easy to play (improves morale) but also it is also easy to play against.

I thought our attacks were varied enough. Three really good chances and one attempt that deserved a goal. On a good day it could have been 4-0.

Set pieces were poor. This is one way to break a packed defence.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Player Ratings

Highest Rated
Bruno 8.21 (96mins, 21 votes)

The Rest
Stockdale 7.17 (96mins, 21 votes)
Goldson 7.00 (96mins, 20 votes)
Dunk 6.79 (96mins, 21 votes)