Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings vs Villa (a)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Couldn't agree more. In my view, Webster probably had his worst game of the season yesterday, but still warranted a six. It's only Webster's shortcomings that tend to get highlighted on here -- and yesterday it was his passing, which was really poor by his standards -- while his strengths are overlooked. Yesterday, this was his carrying of the ball out of defence -- which has been a real feature of this season (I think he's got the best stats in the PL on this) -- but he also defended very well...

... but not as good as White as you said, he was my MotM -- there were some impeccably timed challenges in there. Both are extremely quick too.

I don't see too many sensible heads slating Webster on here, but competition for those central defensive places in ferocious. My view is that Burn would fit into that position more naturally and he's slightly ahead of Webby as a ball player. One of many very marginal selection calls though.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Ryan - 8 - Some big saves, still get extremely worried at set piece situations though. Just doesn't command his box like most goalkeepers.
White 9 - Solid at the back, some great blocks and tackles, passing was very good, moved into midfield and played a part in the winner.
Dunk - 7 - A few big mistakes, looked rusty but kept Watkins pretty quiet.
Webster -7 - Passing was very good, defended for the most part well, but has to do better with there goal, fell into the trap of getting distracted and allowing his man to cut him off.
Lamptey - 8 - both yellows were debatable in my opinion especially the second one. Had Grealish and Cash on toast. So excited about this kid shame he misses Liverpool over incompetent refereeing.
Bissouma - 7 - Second half much better that the first, didn't threaten the goal much but his defensive choices have improved so much, linked well with Lallana very mature performance. He really helped dictate the flow of a fast paced game.
Gross - 8 - Keeps the game ticking nicely, always seems to pick the right pass can't think of much he did wrong and a fantastic assist.
Lallana - 7 - Had to go off early again and we concede straight away again.. Beautiful assist, leader in midfield.
March - 9 - Defensively sound, crossing was actually decent, right footed finish was sublime MOTM for me and never a penalty.
Maupay - 8 - Off the ball work quality, should have scored. Came back strong.
Welbeck - 8 - Great finish, stretched the game well, always a threat.

Subs:
Veltman - 7 - fitted straight into the game, good progressive passing and always seemed to be in the right place.
Burn and Molumby n/a

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I don't see too many sensible heads slating Webster on here, but competition for those central defensive places in ferocious. My view is that Burn would fit into that position more naturally and he's slightly ahead of Webby as a ball player. One of many very marginal selection calls though.

I'm with you on most things football-related, but couldn't disagree more on Burn. Of our five CBs, Burn is comfortably down the bottom. I just don't get what he brings. Agree on ferocious competition with the CBs and, for me, this season, it's wafer-thin between the other four.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm with you on most things football-related, but couldn't disagree more on Burn. Of our five CBs, Burn is comfortably down the bottom. I just don't get what he brings. Agree on ferocious competition with the CBs and, for me, this season, it's wafer-thin between the other four.

I agree.

Burn’s best football, defence and attack, was in his initial few months with us. BDB became a legend for his dribbling skills and overall performances.

For all or most of this calendar year he’s been a bit of liability defensively, diving in, going to ground, allowing opposition wingers to get away. Despite his height he never seems to produce the goods in either box.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Not sure about that.

Burn is quite clumsy at times, think Webster is better with the ball at his feet generally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here