Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Rotherham

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Maenpaa 8 Some good saves after we took our foot off the gas. Difficult to drop after this performance.
Rosenior 7 Another steady performance
Bruno 9 Seems to have settled in well at Centre Half and a Skippers performance.
Dunk 8 Looks even better defensively this season, but another silly booking
Bong 5 - Still not back to the form of early last season and when Goldson back would like to see Bruno right back and LR left
Knockaert 9 This man is absolute class and glad that he loves the club and hopefully stays to help us gain promotion.
Norwood 7 A couple of errors, but always available and when you are on the ball this amount of time you will make some.
Stephens 7 Good to see him back. Started well and tired towards the end
Murphy 6 Disappointed in him tonight, had an opportunity to cement a regular place but didn't take
Murray 8 Great centre forward play and if we had had Murray last year we would be playing in the premiership now.
Hemed 6.5 Nothing seems to be going for him at the moment, playing alongside Murray shows his limitations.

Baldock 6 A good substitute but never got into the game
Lualua 5 Can't see him starting many games as defensively he fails to track players and struggles against championship defenders.

Baldock and Lua Lua starred against Colchester, but wonder if that is their level.

Re baldock and kll. In terms of being a prolific goal scorer , baldock will only manage that at l1 level but he can be effective at top end champ level in a water carrier type role . As for Lua, at the start of last season he was probably our best player . He's not as talented as knocky but definitely a champ player when fully fit

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
LuaLua - discuss.... seemed to slow the game down, unable to beat a player, did very little.

I've said it for a while but I really do think we have moved on to better players than him, currently looking the weakest winger in our squad by a long way.
He was the best player in the whole Championship last August. Whilst we have improved since then by adding Knockaert and Skalak, the only thing that will stop Kaz being good enough are his injuries.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Maenpaa 7 Solid and a decent league debut, made the comfortable saves look spectacular which I enjoyed.
Rosenior 7 Assist for the Murray goal with a good cross, cracking player.
Bruno 8 Imperious and plays centre back with the experience and nous of a veteran in the position. Class above.
Dunk 9 Re-captured top, top form. The question for him is whether he can maintain this level without dropping off.
Bong 6 Weaklink, but another assist for Knockers and getting stronger. He'll lose out when our CBs return.
Knockaert 9 Apart from the making a meal out of minor contact to the face, the man is flawlessly brilliant.
Norwood 7 Lovely range of passing, ticked along lovely.
Stephens 8 Can't be a better central midfielder in the league, except perhaps Kayal!
Murphy 6 Some lovely runs, but not involved in the game enough.
Hemed 6 Hustled and bustled, needed a goal and got it with the penalty, better than Friday if nothing else.
Murray 8 Cracking goal, but he's THE man.

Subs
Baldock 6
LuaLua 5 Only one delivery into the box? The game had slowed and was over when he came on, but should offer more.

He was the best player in the whole Championship last August.

Very generous. It's a debate that's been had enough times, but he hasn't improved at all in the 7 years he's been here. He came here as a good league 1 player, he's now an ordinary/lower end Championship player who might have use coming on as an impact sub but he's not more than that. This is his last season, he's lucky to have been here for so long.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Maenpaa 7 Did what he needed to do. Perfect as a deputy.

Rosenior 8 Assist, excellent (but seldom) defending and good going forward. Hull could do with him right now!
Bruno 8 Before Derby I was worried about Bruno... 3 games later he looks like he's played CB for years.
Dunk 9.5 Sponsors got it right. MOTM for sure. He was immense.
Bong 6 Weakest link for sure yesternight, but looking more accomplished into the side.

Knockaert 9 Absolutely brilliant.
Norwood 7 Looks like a great addition to surely the best midfield in the devision.
Stephens 8 Nice to see him back. F off Burnley!
Murphy 6 If only we can combine his pace and Skalaks delivery!

Hemed 6 Not as good as he played on Friday or at Derby, but I feel he's finally settling into the season
Murray 8.5 oozes quality and another goal!

Subs
Baldock 6 cameo once the came was done, didn't need to do more.
LuaLua 6 see above

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funny how posters' views vary, no doubt partly due to their location in the stands and their vantage point. From where I was sitting (row X, WSL, north end 18 yard line) I thought Bong had quite a good game, a view shared by several others around me. Maenpaa looked solid and his distribution confident. We're fortunate to have an excellent stand-in for Stockers about whom the fans aren't nervous.

Hemed worked hard, got in a few good passes. Like last season, he seems to be a confidence player and you can see his frustration when it's 'not happening'. I was glad he scored last night which will hopefully give him a much needed fillip. Thought Norwood was okay but he skewed a few early passes and will no doubt improve over time. Bruno, Dunk, Rosenior, Stephens, Murray all put in very solid performances. Murphy wasn't at his best but was good enough on the night. Knockaert was again on fabulous form, his evening blemished only by his Dying Swan performance which went on a bit too long.

It was another great result and I'm very happy but my only 'observation' was that we didn't bury by a higher margin what was a poor Rotherham team. These are the sort of games we might look back on if GD features in our fate again. The game fizzled out when our subs came on and, credit to Rotherham, they put up a bit of a late rally.

The great thing is that we look good, we're playing as a team, we have options, we didn't really get out of second gear for either the Forest or Rotherham games and we're top of the league with clean sheets in every game. The omens are good and it bodes well for another cracking season.

Up the Albion!:albion2:

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I agree with this. All round, an excellent performance but I was disappointed we let our foot off the gas in the last 20 mins and let them create some good chances. We could easily have won 5 or 6-0, and we know how important goal difference could be.

So true, a reason we didn't get promoted last season was when we allowed Leeds of the hook by treating the second half like a training session, Hughton more than anyone should be aware of this as it will be tight again and every goal counts.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Re baldock and kll. In terms of being a prolific goal scorer , baldock will only manage that at l1 level but he can be effective at top end champ level in a water carrier type role . As for Lua, at the start of last season he was probably our best player . He's not as talented as knocky but definitely a champ player when fully fit

Agree.

As was proven at the start of last season KLL just needs confidence and a run of games.

Didn't he get Player of the Month last August? So not much debate about it.. He just needs to stay fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maenpaa 7 Did everything needed
Bong 7 .. ..
Dunk 7 Very good silly booking
Bruno 8 Very good
Rossenior 7
Stevens 7
Murphy 6 Prefer him to Skalak more direct
Knockaert 7 Great entertainer. Love his show boating when we are winning. Made himself look idiot when he went down.
Norwood 6 Tidy
Murray 7 Our chances of scoring when ball goes in box are now increased
Hemed 6 Marked up one for penalty but apart was very poor.
Lua Lua 6 didnt see ball for 10 mins but then tried to make things happen

Mention for ref as thought he had good game. Played on rather then be fooled by play acting when players went down. Mostley ours Knockaert, Lua Lua Hemed

Hemed and Baldock good squad players but not good enough. To improve must have quicker central attacker. A fit Wilson give us much better options

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very generous.
I didn't give the award and no one was surprised when he got it.

It's a debate that's been had enough times, but he hasn't improved at all in the 7 years he's been here. He came here as a good league 1 player, he's now an ordinary/lower end Championship player
The only thing that can make that right are his injuries. Without injuries he's an excellent Championship player. Buckley was a brilliant Championship player before his injuries, he's not now. Some players need their pace and without it they're no good.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agree.

As was proven at the start of last season KLL just needs confidence and a run of games.

Didn't he get Player of the Month last August? So not much debate about it.. He just needs to stay fit.

Are we really talking about something that happened a year ago as the last time he did anything good?

Yesterday should have been Kazs time to shine. He had 30mins, against a team we were 3-0 up against, who looked poor and disorganised defensively but didn't take the opportunity. He won't get much better chances than that

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Are we really talking about something that happened a year ago as the last time he did anything good?

Yesterday should have been Kazs time to shine. He had 30mins, against a team we were 3-0 up against, who looked poor and disorganised defensively but didn't take the opportunity. He won't get much better chances than that

Didn't go to the Colchester game then.

Last evening he was ok but nothing more. But coming on as a sub is different to starting, disorganised defence or not.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Just watched highlights back. I would give Norwood 5.5 . A bad back pass to the keeper that put us under pressure and he was robbed and there guy let fly. Great save again.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maenpaa 7 Did what he needed to do. Perfect as a deputy.

Rosenior 8 Assist, excellent (but seldom) defending and good going forward. Hull could do with him right now!
Bruno 8 Before Derby I was worried about Bruno... 3 games later he looks like he's played CB for years.
Dunk 9.5 Sponsors got it right. MOTM for sure. He was immense.
Bong 6 Weakest link for sure yesternight, but looking more accomplished into the side.

Knockaert 9 Absolutely brilliant.
Norwood 7 Looks like a great addition to surely the best midfield in the devision.
Stephens 8 Nice to see him back. F off Burnley!
Murphy 6 If only we can combine his pace and Skalaks delivery!

Hemed 6 Not as good as he played on Friday or at Derby, but I feel he's finally settling into the season
Murray 8.5 oozes quality and another goal!

Subs
Baldock 6 cameo once the came was done, didn't need to do more.
LuaLua 6 see above

Agree with all of this.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
So true, a reason we didn't get promoted last season was when we allowed Leeds of the hook by treating the second half like a training session, Hughton more than anyone should be aware of this as it will be tight again and every goal counts.

Every goal is important but so is managing a group of players through a concentrated period of games. Hughton is acutely aware that he has to keep his key players fresh and available and he had to weigh up taking the edge off our attacking options,subbing Knocky and Murray, with having them at peak for Reading and Newcastle.
It was job done after an hour and the players were able to relax and maintain mental freshness for battles ahead. He said he was desperate for a clean sheet last night and this is as important as going all out for more goals.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not usually!
We were so much better than them when we could be bothered tonight but we just didn't seem to care enough to really turn the screw.
A more ruthless team would've absolutely humiliated them with that level of superiority

Sorry Sheebo, I'm hard to please, thought we were average against a poor team........ Not anything like as good as we were against Forest.

Maenppa - 7
Rosenoir- 6
Bong - 6
Dunk - 7.5 - silly booking
Bruno - 7
Knockaert - 7
Norwood - 6
Stephens - 6
Murphy - 6
Murray - 7.5
Hemed - 6

KLL - 6
Baldock - 5.5

No need to apologise - it's all about opinions. Yes, I agree we could've turned the screw more but the subs seemed to disrupt our flow a bit. This is why I love football and NSC though, I personally thought we were poor first half v Forest and got better second half but last night were bloody brilliant!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Did anyone notice Kaz had very little support around him when he came on. Was often him vs 3 of their players. Difficult to blame him. He did alright I thought... Everyone else was tired but their defence seemed to get a second wind...

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Maenpaa 8 - I thought he exuded real calm throughout, claiming a number of high balls and making saves at crucial times.
Rosenior 7 - His usual excellent self defensively, albeit not massively troubled. Could have contributed more going forward although got a good assist.
Bruno 8 - Looks totally at ease in his new position, even if some of his attacking flair is lost. I'd like to see him be more expansive on the ball, but defensively excellent.
Dunk 9 - A defensive tower. Not quite perfect though, as his passing was wayward at times. Seemed to make a lot of tackles.
Bong 8 - I thought it was the best I've seen him since the start of last year. Kept the ball well, got an assist, puts the ball into the box with good accuracy. Just looks a bit gangly at times.
Knockaert 8 - Not quite as good as Friday, but opened the scoring with a very good goal and always looked a thorn. It's nice to see him being given freedom to roam. And, as usual, he worked hard defensively.
Stephens 7 - Took a while to grow into the game. Often his passing lacked imagination, albeit he kept the ball well. Won the ball regularly too, but his shooting needs to be better.
Norwood 7 - Same as Stephens. Started slowly, but grew into the game. Comfortable by the end. His corners were very good.
Murphy 6 - Probably our weakest player of the starting 11 on the night. Kept the ball better than anyone else with his passing, but often played a rather conservative role, being more worried about protecting Bong than attacking their right back.
Hemed 7 - Got a goal, which is a real positive. Should have done better with a number of headed opportunities, but was an effective outlet nonetheless, and he was good in the air defensively at set pieces. Needs to hold the ball up better at times though, with his passing often wayward.
Murray 9 - Excellent again. His hold up play is brilliant, his movement is a step up on any of our other strikers and he's clinical. The only negative was, like Hemed, a couple too many wayward passes which lost possession.

Lua Lua 6 - A typical KLL performance. Did lots of very pretty things with the ball, but produced nothing of note. Doesn't work hard enough defensively, his movement is poor, and he's often more worried about drawing a foul rather than truly committing to driving at his man. Fourth choice at the moment surely, based on form.
Baldock 6 - Kept the ball, but did nothing of note with it. He was clearly brought on to stretch them, but we'd retreated too deep by that stage and there was a disconnect meaning the service that was there for Murray suddenly disappeared.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Did anyone notice Kaz had very little support around him when he came on. Was often him vs 3 of their players. Difficult to blame him. He did alright I thought... Everyone else was tired but their defence seemed to get a second wind...

He didn't get the ball for 5-10 mins, all the play was with Murphy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here