Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Nottm Forest

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Before the game I found out that the ST holder in the seat next to me was one of the lads swept out to sea around Christmas, so the afternoon had a whole new context. The football was disappointing, but in proportion - that's not the end of the world. RIP Dan, solid bloke and ESU companion. :down:

Stockdale 3 Stupid error for the first goal, cost us so many goals through his vacating the goal. Poor distribution too, early clearances when the whole team bar CO'G is up top is going to end one way - the ball coming back at us. Still seems arrogant without cause.
Bruno 5 Too many misplaced passes, too few meaningful contributions and seems more and more frustrated. Got a new contract too soon perhaps.
Greer 5 His worst game of the season, jumped in a couple of times, lost his footing at one point too. Off form, but still capable at this level.
Dunk 6 A few well won headers, and was our most impressive defender but it was a poor display all round today.
Bennett 7 Solid at left back, got forward and contributed plenty at both ends. All too often he was exposed.
Holla 7 Very fine player, but I don't feel we're using him to his full capacity at the moment.
Ince 8 Monstrous. The Animal at his finest once again, he is our best prospect by a distance and will continue to grow into his role.
Calderon 5 Didn't really contribute enough for me, but plenty of hard work and drive when it was lacking. I wouldn't have subbed him.
Teixeira 6 Good footballer, but final ball upsets me. He gave away a petulant free kick which led to their first, and didn't contribute enough quality.
March 6 Solid enough while he was on, shame he got injured early.
O'Grady 6 He looked mobile and sharp, but never really looked like scoring a goal - despite his decent long ranger.

Subs
LuaLua 2 Crap.
Best 4 Completely ineffective, his one chance was spurned when he turned in the wrong direction.
Kayal 7 Very encouraging cameo, not to mention a crucial goal.

Last edited:

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
stockdale 5 - Just think he could do more
Bruno 5 - Not as bad as some make out
Dunk 7 - Best of the defenders
Greer 4 - seems to be going backwards
Bennett 5 - Good going forward
Ince 8 - Easily MOM what Hyppia didn't see in him amazes me
Holla 6 - hopefully still more to come
Tex 6 - A little more consistency required
March 3 - Injured early on
Calderon 4 - Maybe his end time is coming
O Grady 7 - Another good show

Lua Lua 4 - Coming back from injury, probably came on 40-mins before he should due to March injury
Kayal 5 - Looked good in his cameo performance
Best 5 - Nothing of note

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure about him flapping, clearly should have done better with the first goal, but his catching is the one area that I have confidence in him.

Really? Not the first time this season by far. I give you Kenwyne Jones with the powder puff header at the North Stand end. Another game we should have won.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really? Not the first time this season by far. I give you Kenwyne Jones with the powder puff header at the North Stand end. Another game we should have won.

That and the goal today weren't so much flapping as they were poor decision making leaving him in no man's land allowing opponents an easy shot at an exposed goal.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Stockdale 0
All the talk is of the first but have a look at the spot from where the 2nd was struck & be amazed how a goalkeeper could be beaten let alone not move a muscle. It's a virtual impossible angle to be beaten but he doesn't move an inch
Totally clueless

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

Not down too flapping though rather being caught in no mans land after coming and then changing his mind. Maybe due to the general lack of confidence defensively in the team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not down too flapping though rather being caught in no mans land after coming and then changing his mind. Maybe due to the general lack of confidence defensively in the team.

i think we're in to semantics. For me if a keeper comes and doesn't punch or even gets stranded mid decision then he's either flapping at the ball or mid air. My point is that he's not 100% reliable on crosses. Incidentally PIG wasn't in his last season either but was when he first arrived.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
i think we're in to semantics. For me if a keeper comes and doesn't punch or even gets stranded mid decision then he's either flapping at the ball or mid air. My point is that he's not 100% reliable on crosses. Incidentally PIG wasn't in his last season either but was when he first arrived.

There haven't been too many Albion keepers who have filled me with confidence over the years. Walton has looked good when he's played this season but not sure playing him in a relegation threatened team will do him much good. We're short at left and right back and Greer is not looking good. Let's hope there are 3 teams worse than us come the end of the season and we can rebuild.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There haven't been too many Albion keepers who have filled me with confidence over the years. Walton has looked good when he's played this season but not sure playing him in a relegation threatened team will do him much good. We're short at left and right back and Greer is not looking good. Let's hope there are 3 teams worse than us come the end of the season and we can rebuild.

Can't disagree with much of that. TK filled me with confidence before he started because he was such an upgrade on Casper and Sexy Pete. Kuipers is a hero but I can still remember Adams taking him off at half time at Southend. I'd say from memory that maybe distribution was a bigger issue for the FDM than crosses though.

Bang on about our back four.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
The following players were either too inconsistent or just plain unreliable at this level:

Stockdale
Greer
Bruno
Calderon

And unless they either improve massively or are replaced imminently they will individually and collectively be responsible for our relegation ... IMHO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Says the person who gave Stockdale 0. He can be blamed for the first, although I don't think he would have got it anyway. To blame him for any of the other two goals is a joke and shows an agenda. Marking anyone 0 suggests you need to grow up

He saved nothing, and not for the first time this season. If he had stayed on his line he should certainly have saved the first. It was schoolboy stuff and imo cost us the game. What did he do of note today?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He saved nothing, and not for the first time this season. If he had stayed on his line he should certainly have saved the first. It was schoolboy stuff and imo cost us the game. What did he do of note today?

There was nothing to save. As I said in the other thread, he probably wouldn't have got to the first goal anyway but he did himself no favours. He had no chance with the other two goals. His catching and distribution were good other than the first goal and he did nothing else wrong. I stand by my view that giving him a 0 is pathetic.

Yoda

English & European
All I am going to say on this thread, is that apart from Stockdale (which are only based on the opening goal as far as I'm concerned, he had no real chance with the other two and had F all to do apart from that), there are some very odd markings for some players.

I would expect some of the ratings given if we had lost a game 4/5-0/1, not 3-2. We dominated large parts of that game and could have had 5 goals on another day if it weren't for woodwork/clearances off the line.

After the game I met up with a Forest supporting mate and his two kids and waited with them as they collected autographs from the Forest players. You would not believe how many times I heard them say 'Had to grind that one out', 'Got a bit lucky with those three points' etc.... And that was from their players, not the fans around the coach.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Holla MOM by far for me. Holla and Ince had more possession that all four of the Forest midfielders altogether. And Holla made quite use of the ball, should be credited with the first goal and frightened the bar.

Bruno had a slightly off day but he bottled up Antonio so he hardly got a kick. But note Antonio was very cunning and did get a cross in and won an important free kick by running into Ince's outstretched leg. Burke on the other side was much more dangerous with his cunning crosses which was more effective that the Teixeira peregrinations. Lualua was not match fit and it was unfortunate that Lichaj literally kicked Solly March out of the game.

The crossbar was on the opposition's side (again). I think they need to be remeasured. They have suited the opposition very well, not only in this match.

Defence was very iffy when Hobbs came up for a cross and headed over. Calderon did not look up to scratch but he played an important role if not very well.

Kayal 9.5 nearly 10 in the short time he was on. We deserved the equaliser and the early leavers missed all the excitement.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There was nothing to save. As I said in the other thread, he probably wouldn't have got to the first goal anyway but he did himself no favours. He had no chance with the other two goals. His catching and distribution were good other than the first goal and he did nothing else wrong. I stand by my view that giving him a 0 is pathetic.

If you are unwilling to accept that Stockwell's gaffe a minute after we had taken the lead probably cost us the game then so be it. Forest were all over the place until they scored. That goal gave them a massive confidence boost and a million pound keeper should not be as inconsistent as Stockdale is. I thought he had started to turn it around but some of his decision making is hairbrained. His performance yesterday was not good enough, defend him all you like but he undid the teams's good work at a time when he should have just done the basics right. To then suggest it's ok because you don't think he would have saved the shot anyway misses the point completely.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
If you are unwilling to accept that Stockwell's gaffe a minute after we had taken the lead probably cost us the game then so be it.

I figured you'd call him Stockpoor. Oliver Cromwell had some bad days too. Nothing to loose your head over.

Stockdale had a very poor game communicating with his defence. It's a team that wins and a team that looses and a team that wheels. There is no "u" in team. There is "am" in team and that means "am damn bl00dy" going to win the next match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here