Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings vs Norwich (h)

SollysLeftFoot

Mar 17, 2019
Bitchin' in Hitchin
I think i largely agree with everyone bar Alzate.

He's going to be great in the future and decision making will come with experience; but he most certainly wasn't 7.5 as some have put him. Too many times he would have his head down and not look up, this isn't an experience thing, he just needs it drilled in.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think i largely agree with everyone bar Alzate.

He's going to be great in the future and decision making will come with experience; but he most certainly wasn't 7.5 as some have put him. Too many times he would have his head down and not look up, this isn't an experience thing, he just needs it drilled in.

Couldn't disagree more

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I suspect there just aren't stats available to qualify the control LD had over the game.
Dunk consistently closed down any threat, by reading the game superbly.
When he was called on to resolve issues he pulled off 3 or 4 superb covering tackles.

Those tackles clearly aren't deemed as important as Montoya's assist.

Which exposes the limitations of statistic based systems for deciding the effectiveness of players

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Dunk played exceptionally well on Saturday and snuffed out a lot of Norwich attacks. The only fault was perhaps a lunge in last few minutes which had he made contact would have been a sending off. I have not been a big fan of Propper but thought he was very good on Saturday despite 3 dodgy shot/crosses in first half. Montoya was poor first half , needed to push up the wing but just wouldn't. Part of the problem is he can't cross tho ironically his his cross led to first goal. So Dunk for me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunk played exceptionally well on Saturday and snuffed out a lot of Norwich attacks. The only fault was perhaps a lunge in last few minutes which had he made contact would have been a sending off. I have not been a big fan of Propper but thought he was very good on Saturday despite 3 dodgy shot/crosses in first half. Montoya was poor first half , needed to push up the wing but just wouldn't. Part of the problem is he can't cross tho ironically his his cross led to first goal. So Dunk for me.

Lunge ? One man’s lunge is another man’s perfectly timed sliding tackle.............

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would poor Montoya be the same poor Montoya who was the highest rated RB/RWB in the Premier League last weekend?

Ah it's good to be back challenging the low opinions of Monty instead of begrudgingly agreeing with them like last weekend.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Would poor Montoya be the same poor Montoya who was the highest rated RB/RWB in the Premier League last weekend?

Ah it's good to be back challenging the low opinions of Monty instead of begrudgingly agreeing with them like last weekend.

The highest rating of any player in any position in the premier league. How much accuracy you want to attach to that has been discussed earlier in the thread

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The highest rating of any player in any position in the premier league. How much accuracy you want to attach to that has been discussed earlier in the thread
I made my post then read back, to see people were already across this.

I'd appropriate just enough weight to the statistical analysis of Monty's game on Saturday to suggest his first half wasn't "poor".

If the baseline was "ok" or even "ok but..." then bring the discussion on.
But "poor" verses 'team of the week' is a leap of BG proportions.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I made my post then read back, to see people were already across this.

I'd appropriate just enough weight to the statistical analysis of Monty's game on Saturday to suggest his first half wasn't "poor".

If the baseline was "ok" or even "ok but..." then bring the discussion on.
But "poor" verses 'team of the week' is a leap of BG proportions.

I though it was Montoya's best match for us. There were still 3 or 4 better than him in an Albion shirt and I'd guess about 25 better in the Premier League. I'm personally not reading too much into that team of the week, but very happy for him that he had a better game

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So Alzate doesn't need to look up more often? :ffsparr: Okay, chappie.

No. He plays with his head up as well as anyone on the team. His awareness of what's going on around him is incredible for someone that inexperienced

Your awareness of what's going on, I'm not so sure about

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No. He plays with his head up as well as anyone on the team. His awareness of what's going on around him is incredible for someone that inexperienced

Your awareness of what's going on, I'm not so sure about

Has looked pretty good to me.....decision making (not so much head up, have seen enough decent passes from him to see he does that ok and knows what is around him - have another look at the 3rd goal vs Everton) isn’t fantastic yet but will quickly improve with experience and as he gets on a better wavelength with those around him. At his age and with virtually no PL time in him yet, he’s doing pretty bloody well (and keeping players like Mooy out of the team).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I though it was Montoya's best match for us. There were still 3 or 4 better than him in an Albion shirt and I'd guess about 25 better in the Premier League. I'm personally not reading too much into that team of the week, but very happy for him that he had a better game
Totally agree, proving just how lucky us supporters are at the moment, begging the question 'why defend a player against being labelled "poor"?'

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ryan 7

Montoya 8
Dunk 9
Duffy 8
Burn 6

Alzate 7
Propper 9 mom
Stephens 7
Gross 5

Maupay 7
Connelly 7

Trossard 8

Ryan 6 - not much to do really

Martin Montoya 7 - had a decent game. no more no less
Lewis Dunk 8 - excellent
Andy Webster 7 - good
Dan Burn 6 - did Dan Burn things. Obviously not a long tern left back but does the job.

Alzate 8 - lively and clever, first goal will come soon
Pröpper 7 - poor first half but really good in the second
Stephens 8 - xaviesque as usual
Gross 6 - not useless but not his day

Connolly 7 - falls off in periods but works hard, great with and without the ball
Maupay 8 - wasted a lot but his hard work and runs are very hard to match, important

Duffy 8 - excellent performance and great goal
Trossard 9 - well
I can't fathom how someone who is studying our tactics and performances so closely has awarded 8 to Maupay. Does his 'hard work and runs' make-up for his hopeless shooting? He was bought to score goals in football matches, not run the 10,000 metres.

Great for Montoya .. but it's sort of bollocks isn't it. Not one Albion fan watching thought he was significantly better than Dunk, Alzate, Propper etc, let alone better then everyone else in the division that day
They're not saying that at all, just that he is the best performing player for that particular position.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I can't fathom how someone who is studying our tactics and performances so closely has awarded 8 to Maupay. Does his 'hard work and runs' make-up for his hopeless shooting? He was bought to score goals in football matches, not run the 10,000 metres.

They're not saying that at all, just that he is the best performing player for that particular position.

They are saying that Notts Seagull. They are saying Montoya is 8.7, Dunk is 8.0 Jiminez 8.5 etc etc

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here