Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Newport

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
How anyone can get more than a 7 is beyond me, we were poor all over the pitch. Barnes was one of our better players and on a different night could have had a hat-trick. We seemed reluctant to shoot when in a decent position opting rather to try and walk it in. Best to move on a focus on Derby

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Ankergren - 6.5. Good handling, distribution could've been worse, couldn't have done a lot about their goals. Kuszczak might have saved their second though.

Lopez - 5. Poor tonight, let's hope he finds his feet again by Saturday, I expect him to be playing at right-back then too.
Greer - 6.5. Looked calm on the ball, passing was good.
El-Abd - 6.5. Would've been a 6, but +0.5 for that OUTRAGEOUSLY FLAIR volley that went just wide.
Calderon - 7. One of our better players. Ridiculous red, end of.

Ince - 7.5. He's great on the ball, pretty strong and a good header of the ball. Definitely a promising one for the future.
Agustien - 7.5. One of the stand-out performers, gets forward well, looked a little rusty at times but hopefully he'll get back in shape and used to the ball at his feet again soon.
Forster-Caskey - 7. Kept the ball very well, passing was good and corners reasonably dangerous. I'd like to see more of him.

Buckley - 4. Set up Barnes' goal, but couldn't really do anything else. Poor finishing.
Barnes - 7. Could've easily scored 3 or 4, but his finishing wasn't there tonight. Held the ball up better than I've seen him do it before.
Lualua - 4. Didn't really do anything at all.

----------

Maksimenko - 6. Looked comfortable on the ball. Wouldn't mind him starting on Saturday.
Bridcutt - 5. Didn't really make the impact we hoped for. From what I've heard, he looked a bit better than he did on Saturday though.
Ulloa - 5. Not the right substitution for me, strength wasn't getting Barnes too far, we needed pace and trickery (probably in the form of March).

Overall, I think we just lacked a bit of passion, Newport CLEARLY wanted it 100 times more than we did, quite rightly too. It was their biggest game for a quarter of a century, and one of our least significant. Onwards and upwards.

Agree with this.
Also can't understand why ElAbd got a 2 year deal why Upson only got a year.

Maybe because El-Abd is 28 and Upson is 34?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Very surprised Oscar didn't bring on March. His running might have been just the thing to disrupt Newport. March for Buckley at HT would have been my choice.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
If Oscar wants to play with wingers, think we might see Lua Lua and Buckley sold and replaced as neither is consistent enough to start. Hope he starts with Lopez and Orlandi wide on Saturday.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Also, the thing about Barnes is that he actually puts an effort in, the lack of effort from the team when we're losing explains why we have never won from a losing position.

Its called character. You've either got it or you haven't. We have a lot of ' good-time Charlies ' or ' flat-track bullies ' They are great when on top and dominating, not so good when you have to roll your sleeves up and scrap.
Hence we usually win when we take the lead ( last two games excepted!!! ) and usually don't win when we fall behind.
You need leaders in the team ( e.g Brian Horton or Jimmy Case ) to drive you on in the tough times and preferably in midfield. Thats what we lack.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If Oscar wants to play with wingers, think we might see Lua Lua and Buckley sold and replaced as neither is consistent enough to start. Hope he starts with Lopez and Orlandi wide on Saturday.

Buckley isn't improving and they are both one-trick ponies. Fine being a one-trick pony if you are consistent and good.
These two aren't.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
2 different spellings of agustein so far ;) keep them coming lads.

This has to be a joke...right? Agustein?

I've seen Agustein..Augustien..Augustein..Augustin...I'm sure there's more out there!!!

Try A gus tie n.....not difficult....then put it all together and you get Agustien.....

For those of you who missed it first time around:

agustien.jpg

A Gus tie n

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Ankergren is a league 1 keeper. Brez is worst than that.

I think it could take Oscar at least 12 months to build his own team... i expect us to be lower mid table pretty much all season with some improved performances at the end of the season.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Ankergen 5
Lopez 4
Greer 6
El-Abd 5
Calderon 4

Ince 7 (My MOTM first half)
Agustien 6
Forster-Caskey 6
Buckley 4
LuaLua 4
Barnes 8 for effort 4 for finishing

Maksimenko 5
Bridcutt 5
Ulloa 5

I have seen people blame Greer for the 3rd goal, the pass to his was woeful, whoever played that (Maksimenko?) would have to take responsibility for that. I blame teh defeat on the inability to shoot on target. Yes El-Abd, Buckley and Barnes all went very very close but some of our shooting left the people in the stands diving for cover. Still say that it was NEVER a red card and that changed the game. It was a disgrace the way that the Newport bench helped in getting Calderon a red card, and as for the "Gangster" on the bench for themm what a complete ***ker!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

I think Lopez will be playing right-back on Saturday, I imagine Orlandi will be on the wing though.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Ankergen 5 - made a couple of decent saves but still punches when he should catch. Tried to organise the playing out from the back.

Lopez 5 - not his usual self, and played out of position.
Greer 5 - Average game and then poor error for 3rd goal
El-Abd 4 - was struggling against their forwards and lost his man for their 1st goal
Calderon 5 - did ok, unlucky to be sent off

Ince 8- MOM - powerful, good in the air, can run with the ball, play it both short and longer, good at tackling. Very promising.
Agustien 7 - always trying to do something, superb at getting his body between ball and defender. Tired fairly quickly, will be superb when match fit
Forster-Caskey 6 - neat and tidy but lacked the killer ball. Good corners but needs to improve shooting.
Buckley 5 - Some flashes of his best but didn't click
LuaLua 4 - Not in the game and then wasted when he had the ball

Barnes 6 - Good movement and build up play but wasted a few chances.

Maksimenko 6 - Looked very steady

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Averages

Starters
Agustien 6.70
Ince 6.57 (87mins)
Barnes 6.27
Forster-Caskey 6.00 (108mins)
Calderon 5.20 (70mins)