Dunk 8
Greer 6

Kayal 7
Holla 4
Calderon 6
Tex 5
Baldock 5

Ogrady 8

I don't normally rate subs but as both were instrumental in the scoreline I have this time..

Stephens 7
Lua Lua 7

Pretty much spot on with my assessment. I really don't think that Baldock and OGrady worked very well. I can see (and did at Leeds) Baldock and CMS working effectively but last night Baldock just looked like he was trying hard in a position he is not best suited to. OGrady did what he does well. Any news on the Baldock injury?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Stockdale 9 A game changer for the last 2 home matches. Two superb saves and made the right decision every time
Bruno 5 Still off the pace for me. Our right side was picked apart at times
Greer 6 Distribution still poor but defensively sound
Dunk 8 Excellent display
Bennett 7 Barely noticed him first half but played very well second
Holla 6.5 Kept things ticking over nicely
Kayal 8 Love him. Demands the ball, dictates play and a real positive influence. Future captain
Teixeira 7 Prodded and probed but not as influential as vs. Leeds. Still had a good game though
Calderon 6 Not his best game. As usual, better going forward than defending but still tracked back well
Baldock 6 Decent until the injury
O'Grady 8.5 Simply has to start. Ran all night, held up play well and a quality assist for Lua Lua

Subs
Lua Lua 8 Great to see him try and beat a man and a cracking rifles finish
Stephens 8 Looked back to full fitness. Nice to see someone be a bit opportunistic following up Calderon's shot for the goal
Ledesma 6 Not really on long enough to judge but led a good last minute break

Overall 9 A performance made from stellar goalkeeping and siege mentality defending. Hughton got his subs absolutely spot on (which makes a change from the habit substitutions of previous regimes). Smash and grab but who cares? It's nice to be dealing it out rather than our usual habit of dominating and losing.

Yep - spot on. :thumbsup:

Stumpy Tim

Stockdale 9.5 - Faultless

Bruno 6 - Everyone talks about Ince, but I thought their left-winger caused us more problems.
Greer 7 - Threw himself into blocks, but felt he was left a little ragged at times
Dunk 9 - Tremendous
Bennett 7 - Good going forward, decent defending

Holla 6 - Probably our weakest player IMO
Kayal 7 - Really like him... looks to go forward when he can & used to the physical side of the game
Teixeira 6.5 - Not the type of game he would thrive in
Calderon 6.5 - Probably didn't support Bruno as much as he should

Baldock 7 - Worked hard & some nice touches
O'Grady 8.5 - Excellent holding up play & really worked his socks off

Lua Lua 7 - Poor for the first half of his appearance, but then suddenly seemed to step up a gear
Stephens 8 - Exactly what we needed. Some presence in midfield & a goal threat

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stockdale 9 - Three good saves and two punch outs made out he was influential,
Bruno 7 - Had a really most difficult time trying to stop both Forsyth and Ward
Greer 7 - Did OK
Dunk 9 - As big a part in the clean sheet as Stockdale with two key blocks
Bennett 7 - Not tested as much as the rest of defence as Ince wasn't so dangerous
Calderon 6 - Worked hard to keep up to pace
Holla 6 - Could do better
Kayal 7 - Not influential
Teixeira 5 Flattered to deceive
O'Grady 7 Unimpressed
Baldock 5 Left footer failed to beat keeper and another one so far over the bar it might not counted as a shot. Unimpressed

LuaLua 9 - Took a bit of time to get up to pace, but then he made the game safe. Changed the complexion of the game.
Stephens 8 - Should have started
Ledesma - N/A

Hughton 6 Iffy starting XI. Well coached defence.

Add 1 to Calde total = 7 for his part in the first important goal. Seen the highlights. I think I must get a different seat next year as my view of it was poor.

Ince played a bigger part for Derby than I first thought. Again I put this down to my not so good seat. They still looked a very heavily coached team and predictable, but hard to stop all the same. Without Hendricks, I think Derby would be more ordinary. I expect they actually played well cause we let them.

Last edited:

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Stockdale 9 A game changer for the last 2 home matches. Two superb saves and made the right decision every time
Bruno 5 Still off the pace for me. Our right side was picked apart at times
Greer 6 Distribution still poor but defensively sound
Dunk 8 Excellent display
Bennett 7 Barely noticed him first half but played very well second
Holla 6.5 Kept things ticking over nicely
Kayal 8 Love him. Demands the ball, dictates play and a real positive influence. Future captain
Teixeira 7 Prodded and probed but not as influential as vs. Leeds. Still had a good game though
Calderon 6 Not his best game. As usual, better going forward than defending but still tracked back well
Baldock 6 Decent until the injury
O'Grady 8.5 Simply has to start. Ran all night, held up play well and a quality assist for Lua Lua

Subs
Lua Lua 8 Great to see him try and beat a man and a cracking rifles finish
Stephens 8 Looked back to full fitness. Nice to see someone be a bit opportunistic following up Calderon's shot for the goal
Ledesma 6 Not really on long enough to judge but led a good last minute break

Overall 9 A performance made from stellar goalkeeping and siege mentality defending. Hughton got his subs absolutely spot on (which makes a change from the habit substitutions of previous regimes). Smash and grab but who cares? It's nice to be dealing it out rather than our usual habit of dominating and losing.

This especially the comment about Kayal becoming captain.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
When we were being battered, was it them playing well or were we just poor ?

They were playing very well, but we did brilliantly to keep them out - see most people's marks and comments for Stockdale, Dunk et al.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Stockdale 8 - MOM. Two vital saves at pivotal moments in the game. Commanded his area with real poise.
Bruno 6 - Haters gonna hate! Personally thought he had a good game. Has an understanding with Calderon. There was obviously a plan to play narrow and he stuck to it. Although it did allow Ward a lot of the ball in that 20 minute spell after half time.
Greer 6 - Defended well. Didn't win enough in the air. Shocking distribution.
Dunk 7.5 - Again defended well, put his body on the line with some massive blocks, but his distribution was woeful (a part from his ball over the top to Baldock). Don't know how many time he carried the ball out of defence only to not know what to do with it!
Bennett 6 - Flounces about at time. Thinks he's better than he is, but put in a shift.
Calderon 6 - If anybody needs a rest its Caldy. Put in another shift of up and down.
Holla 6 - Some of his passing was so poor its embarrassing. Lacking in confidence or just not good enough? He's certainly no Rohan Ince.
Kayal 7 - Looks like a top midfielder. The only one who passed the ball with any accuracy. Looked tired when he came off.
Teixeira 6 - Looked out of sorts again yesterday, although we were playing a top team. Still looked strong for his frame and he has great feet.
O'Grady 7 - Another good performance. His part in Lua Lua's goal was his high point. Held the ball up well, so strong. Unlucky with his chance late in the second half.
Baldock 6 If he is whinging about not being played up top, then the only way you'll sway a manager is to score those type of chances. Unlucky with his injury, but looked a bit out of his depth out there against what was good opposition.

LuaLua 6.5 - Hard to believe he came on in the first half. Didn't really see him until after that 20 minute spell Derby had at the beginning of the second half. However, that's where he is effective, when games are getting stretched. Great goal from a great team move.
Stephens 7 - Came on at the same time we started to impose ourselves in the second half. Looked a lot more like the Stephens prior to injury. Won headers, combative and of course scored a goal.
Ledesma - Not on long enough. Never really understood this signing either. Plenty of quality around that we could of had until the end of the season. Notably one who went to Charlton and one who went to Wigan.

Jul 17, 2014
That was a real smash and grab raid by the Albion. Very poor first half, battered by Derby for half of the second, and then we finally come good.

Stockdale 9. MOM. Did about everything right and kept us in the game. Fantastic performance.
Bruno 4. A liability for most of the game.
Greer 6. A better performance, but still gave the ball away too often.
Dunk 6. OK.
Bennett 6. Little chance to support the attack until late in the second half. Defending OK.
Kayal 7. Effective.
Holla 6. OK game.
Calderon 6. Not great.
Baldock 6. OK until his injury.
Tex 7. Our one creative spark in the first half.
O'Grady 8. Great centre forward play. Won everything in the air, great first touch, layed the ball off very well. Fantastic pass to Kazenga for the second goal.

Subs:
KLL 7. Better than of late and a very well taken goal.
Stephens 7. Looked good and a great goal.
Ledesma N/A

absolutely spot on

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
Yep - spot on. :thumbsup:

Yep - agree, Holla's ability to receive the ball on the half turn under pressure and offload it quickly thus retaining possession is what gave him the nod over Ince. Hughton's post-match interview confirmed this, and given that Derby were going to dominate possession it made thorough sense to start Holla. Good tactics.

A lot on here seem to misunderstand this, and feel that Ince would have operated well against Derby; I disagree, he is a destructive player, good against teams that like to 'sit' against us and play on the break. We needed to retain possession when we could last night against a better team, and Ince would not have done this as well as Holla. Derby would have passed around him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 9.5 - Faultless

Bruno 6 - Everyone talks about Ince, but I thought their left-winger caused us more problems.
Greer 7 - Threw himself into blocks, but felt he was left a little ragged at times
Dunk 9 - Tremendous
Bennett 7 - Good going forward, decent defending

Holla 6 - Probably our weakest player IMO
Kayal 7 - Really like him... looks to go forward when he can & used to the physical side of the game
Teixeira 6.5 - Not the type of game he would thrive in
Calderon 6.5 - Probably didn't support Bruno as much as he should

Baldock 7 - Worked hard & some nice touches
O'Grady 8.5 - Excellent holding up play & really worked his socks off

Lua Lua 7 - Poor for the first half of his appearance, but then suddenly seemed to step up a gear
Stephens 8 - Exactly what we needed. Some presence in midfield & a goal threat

If Stockdale was faultless why 9.5 and not 10 ?

I gave him 10 simply because as you say he was faultless last night.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yep - agree, Holla's ability to receive the ball on the half turn under pressure and offload it quickly thus retaining possession is what gave him the nod over Ince. Hughton's post-match interview confirmed this, and given that Derby were going to dominate possession it made thorough sense to start Holla. Good tactics.

A lot on here seem to misunderstand this, and feel that Ince would have operated well against Derby; I disagree, he is a destructive player, good against teams that like to 'sit' against us and play on the break. We needed to retain possession when we could last night against a better team, and Ince would not have done this as well as Holla. Derby would have passed around him.

Spot on

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
Sorry Bruno was atrocious.
At the most a 5 and that's because we won and didn't concede.
The foul throw was the icing on a crap performance, we have just spent 15mins in a shoting gallery and when we need to relieve the pressure he gives them the ball back.
we need Halford very quickly.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale 9.5 vurtually faultless and a great inspriation to the team.
Bruno 7 despite his critics he did his job and resulted in Derby taking Ward (playing on the left) off
Greer 7 Solid performance.
Dunk 8 back to his previous early season good form
Bennett 7 Defended well againt Derby best player Ince., although inevitably turned a few times he stuck to the task.
Holla 7 Did his job well bug would have taken him off on 75mins and replace with Halford
Kayal 7 Quickly establishing himself as a vital player for us and very much a team player.
Calderon 6 Weak link in the team last night.
Tiexiera 7 Plenty if skill and energy a good outlet for defensive or mimfield to give the ball to relieve pressure
Baldock 6 Not in the game sufficiently before being injured with an horrendous tackle.
COG 8 Lead the line well with no success except one lay off to Lua Lua to isolated to be more effective.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Sorry Bruno was atrocious.
At the most a 5 and that's because we won and didn't concede.
The foul throw was the icing on a crap performance, we have just spent 15mins in a shoting gallery and when we need to relieve the pressure he gives them the ball back.
we need Halford very quickly.

A liability. When does his contract end?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale 9.5 virtually faultless and a great inspiration to the team.
Bruno 7 despite his critics he did his job and resulted in Derby taking Ward (playing on the left) off
Greer 7 Solid performance.
Dunk 8 back to his previous early season good form
Bennett 7 Defended well againt Derby best player Ince., although inevitably turned a few times he stuck to the task.
Holla 7 Did his job well bug would have taken him off on 75mins and replace with Halford
Kayal 7 Quickly establishing himself as a vital player for us and very much a team player.
Calderon 6 Weak link in the team last night.
Tiexiera 7 Plenty if skill and energy a good outlet for defensive or mimfield to give the ball to relieve pressure
Baldock 6 Not in the game sufficiently before being injured with an horrendous tackle.
COG 8 Lead the line well with no success except one lay off to Lua Lua to isolated to be more effective.

Subs

Lua Lua 7 extra point for his goal other than that didnt do a lot but at least tried to take on players out wide
Stephens 8 best performance since his injury shows he will be an asset as the season runs down.
Ledesma n/a but in his 30 secs relieved the pressure with a good run forward.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here