Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Charlton

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Baldock clearly has pace

Clearly? I don't agree, he isn't especially quick. All players have pace to some extent, he can run but he doesn't frighten anyone.

It's funny how some fans take views against some players. If you think £1 million is a high price tag for a Championship striker then you are delusional. CMS cost £2 to £2.5 million and did less than Hemed has done in terms of goals. He has contributed a lot and scored 6 goals in the first half of his first season in England. Yet some of our so called fans slag him off, despite apparently liking him.

As for Baldock, he may struggle in front of goal but he does have pace. Whatever fans like you think.

You do seem to have turned from a good poster on here to extremely bitter. Stockdale is an example. You blame him for the first goal in your match ratings yet watch the replays and he has no chance (as you blame him for most goals).

Well, I think that's harsh. If you look at his goals, they're all scuff jobs, barely making contact to flick the ball on or a penalty. It's not unfair criticism to suggest he isn't a good finisher, because that's the evidence so far. Baldock is Baldock, there were plenty who weren't impressed when he signed and the more we've seen, the less there is to be impressed about. For me, he is THE worst striker signing we've made - pound for pound. CMS isn't far behind to be fair.

I didn't blame Stockdale for the goal, I suggested he could have done better and he could have done - simply by standing up. But his desire to be seen to be making good saves gets in the way sometimes, the "spectacular" save he made from the far post header is a good example, that was massively over-exaggerated. Also, that first goal was from near enough the touch line, on his left foot so the angle is the shallowest it could be, but he scored the goal. Do you not think Stockdale himself thought he could have done better with it? The defence should have done far better, the goal is on them but it doesn't mean you can't ask the question of your £1million goalkeeper.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Clearly? I don't agree, he isn't especially quick. All players have pace to some extent, he can run but he doesn't frighten anyone.

Well, I think that's harsh. If you look at his goals, they're all scuff jobs, barely making contact to flick the ball on or a penalty. It's not unfair criticism to suggest he isn't a good finisher, because that's the evidence so far. Baldock is Baldock, there were plenty who weren't impressed when he signed and the more we've seen, the less there is to be impressed about. For me, he is THE worst striker signing we've made - pound for pound. CMS isn't far behind to be fair.

I didn't blame Stockdale for the goal, I suggested he could have done better and he could have done - simply by standing up. But his desire to be seen to be making good saves gets in the way sometimes, the "spectacular" save he made from the far post header is a good example, that was massively over-exaggerated. Also, that first goal was from near enough the touch line, on his left foot so the angle is the shallowest it could be, but he scored the goal. Do you not think Stockdale himself thought he could have done better with it? The defence should have done far better, the goal is on them but it doesn't mean you can't ask the question of your £1million goalkeeper.

Thing is you called him a "plodder at best" which sounds like he is lacking in the pace department, im not saying hes Lua Lua quick but would still say hes fairy fast.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I think the argument ends when you compare Baldock to CMS. Baldock is a far better player (and our season fell apart last year when he got injured).

You ignore my comment on £1 million for a striker. It's nothing these days.

As for his finishing, he scores goals. We've been crying out for a striker like that for years who can score the scruffy goals (and Zamora is able to score those too). I genuinely don't understand the need for slagging off players that some on here seem to need to do. Hemed had 10 minutes on the pitch and scored a goal. It wasn't perfect but it was a good header and a fantastic save that rebounded in. He scored so why the need to complain.

As for Stockdale, if he stood up for the goal and was beaten low at his near post, you would have blamed him too. You obviously don't rate Stockdale, despite him being one of our best players this season, and want to moan about him for no reason. He was clear man of the match and had no chance with either goal. And then you suggest he made some of his saves harder than they needed to be for his desire for the spectacular. That must be the most complete rubbish I've ever seen on here.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Was Bruno awful in the first half or was their teenage winger quality + clinical? Think it was a bit of both tbh, my only worry is Bruno has no competition now which can lead to deterioration in form of players.

Bruno can be beaten by sheer pace and acceleration. Bruno did everything perfectly correctly*.

Lowman was exceptional. I think we should sign him up.

*CF; Williamson (for Newcastle) trying to stop Buckley and Orlandi in the Cup matches. He did everything right and got flack from the Newcastle fans. PS; Williamson is a good player, but on £40K a week. However, I've heard that his contract runs out in January (unsure because contracts usually runs until summer).

Correction: Wiliiamson contract runs out in the summer: http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...tle-united-transfers-mike-williamson-10353232 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...e-Ranger-handed-Newcastle-contracts-2016.html

Not sure if Williamson can pass the ball out of defence very well though? http://www.themag.co.uk/2015/07/mike-williamson-is-not-the-mike-williamson-problem/

Last edited:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
First half: DS 10. SM 8 - for winning a very close game of head conkers which gave CH some time to do some much needed emergency coaching. I'm not scoring anyone else for that half.
Second half: eights all round, some undeserved but they are a team so spread the love.
Tomer Hemed - 9. Scored the winner having been dropped to the bench. Deserves and needs extra love after all his hard work earlier in the season while everyone sang for BZ to come on and replace him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I don't agree with the low marks for Stephens. First half, him and Kayal couldn't get in game. Second half they absolutely bossed it (again) and for that reason I'd go 7.5 or 8...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Stockdale 8 - My MOTM as we could have gone in 4 down and the game all over.
Bruno 4 - an off day for the player I consider to be player of the season so far, finally got going in the second half and helped the team drive forward
Greer 6 - not his best game but the best of a very poor back 4
Dunk 3 - all over the shop, time for the BFG to partner Greer
Calderon 4 - looked very slow trying to get up to support Murphy, I would have Chicksen in at Derby. His game may have been impacted on after another heavy 50/50 tackle by a Brighton player playing left back!
Stephens 6 - worked hard but was over run at times as the whole team struggled in the first 45 mins
Kayal 8 - never gave up, battled for 90 minutes, what a player
Murphy 5 - quite game today but was not helped by Calderon not being able to play as an attacking full back. At time the play stalled whenever we came down this side of the pitch
March 8 - another player that is always looking to create, unlucky to see his thunderbolt superbly tipped onto the bar by the keeper. What a run in to set up the equaliser
Zamora 7 - did what he is being paid to do and that's now 3 in 3 games
Wilson 7 - tough first half but started the comeback with an amazing run and goal

Subs
Hemed - so pleased he scored. Looked not to be his day again when denied by a superb save but the rebound ended up at the feet of BZ! Deserved the luck for once after his header looked to have been well saved. Was it spin or wind that took it in??
Van La Parra - looked good on the ball, what a great cross for the winner
Chicksen - just a few minutes to close down Charlton as we reverted to 4 at the back after going 3-2 up

Hughton - 10 prepared to change the shape and risked only 3 at the back as we stalled at 1-2! Risked BZ playing more than 60 minutes and rewarded with a goal!

It was so nice after "hanging on" in so many games to see us drive forward and batter Charlton for basically the whole of the 2nd half. However bad the first half was it was more than made up for in a never say die team spirit.

All of this.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Average Player Ratings

Highest Rated
Stockdale 8.53 (102mins, 19 votes)

The Rest
March 7.95 (102mins, 19 votes)
Kayal 7.59 (102mins, 19 votes)
>Hemed 7.43 (22mins, 15 votes)