Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Charlton

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
A la last week, I don't see the point of this thread.
We all know, other than Stockdale, the first half was shithouse, while the second was an epic team performance.

Give everyone 8, Stockdale 9, wipe your face and move on to Derby.

Completely agree with this except I would give Stockdale 10. Nothing he could do about either goal and they would have been out of sight by half time if it wasn't for him. Second half we were great but, without Stockdale, it would have been damage limitation rather than epic win. Don't understand why he wasn't given man of the match by the sponsors but I suppose they rarely get it right.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Stockdale 9 Made some excellent saves - looked like he could've stopped the first but they'd have been out of sight without his crucial saves today.
Bruno 2 first half, 7 second - that first half was the worst I've seen Bruno play (it happens to the best of them). I'd prefer to reflect on the improved second half where he looked to attack and defended much more effectively against their wide man. Culpable for their goals really, although left horribly exposed by Greer and the midfield.
Dunk 5 first half, 7 second - Much better with the ball at his feet than Greer. At least tries to win the ball higher up the pitch and has the pace to recover the majority of the time. Unsurprisingly, their goals and their best chances came from other areas of the defence (aside from his one misplaced pass midway through the first half which was poor). Unfortunately, next to Greer, his weaknesses are exploited much more often as he doesn't have a partner that covers him effectively when he can't nick the ball ahead of the attacker.
Greer 3 first half, 6 second - the negative tactical implications of having him in the side were there to see throughout the first half. He neither coves Bruno effectively, nor is close enough to sweep behind Dunk. When attackers run at him he's a massive liability. He improved in the second half as the midfield protected him much more effectively, but the quicker Uwe comes back into the side, the better.
Calderon 3 first half, 7 second - I love him but he looked like a headless chicken first half. He got a few cheers around me for winning the ball in the first half but on each occasion it was only a result of him being in totally the wrong position in the first place. Improved second half as he supported more offensively, but at the same time, he isn't a viable left back option going forward. It's no surprise that out of our two inverted wingers, the most effective one at the moment is March who has a full back going outside him.
Kayal 5 first half, 8 second - Neither he, nor Stephens, offered enough protection to the defence in the first half, nor did they keep the ball well enough. They looked completely disconnected to the forwards to be honest. However, he massively improved in the second half as he looked to link up further up the pitch and he did his utmost to make things happen.
Stevens 5 first half, 8 second - See above. The main difference between him and Kayal in the second half was that he sacrificed himself for the side much more by sitting deeper, protecting the defence and recycling the ball, whilst also giving Kayal more freedom to support the attack. Effective in his discipline in the second half.
Zamora 3 first half, 8 second - honestly, I didn't notice him in the first half. He seemed totally out of the game, he didn't hold the ball up and he didn't support Wilson particularly well. A drastic second half improvement as he sought out the ball, acted as the target man he's more than capable of being, and scored yet again, justifying Hughton's decision to drop/rest Hemed.
Murphy 5 first half, 7 second half - Suffering from the lack of a full back who goes on the outside of him. Always looks dangerous, though it didn't quite click for him with his final ball today.
March 6 first half, 8 second - Not quite as good as last week, but probably our best outfield player across the 90 minutes. Always looked to make things happen even if his final ball could've been better at times. Kept composed in the first half, even when those around him, including Bruno, were losing their heads. Alleviates pressure so well for us now that he's becoming a vital part of our side. Unlucky with his long range strike.
Wilson 5 first half, 8 second half - Like March, always tried to make things happen even if his end product wasn't always quite on point. His goal was a thing of real beauty and his role in the team, by offering movement in behind defences, offers us a much more rounded threat going forward. Until Baldock is back, it should be him + an other.
Hemed 8 - for such a short cameo, I thought he made a big difference. He really drove at the defence, pressured them and constantly tried to motivate those around him. Should probably stay on the bench next week, but if he starts to perform more regularly like he did when he came on, then he'll be back in the team sooner rather than later (or when Zamora needs a rest/stops scoring so regularly).
Van la Parra 7 - came on, got an assist. Well done lad.

Hughton - fair play to him for turning the team around at half time. He made a ballsy decision bringing Hemed on for Murphy and it initially took the steam out of us. Eventually paid off though, and he deserves the credit for building a side that, having played as badly as we did in the first half (as all teams do from time to time), had the ability and the passion to come back in the second half.

Not sure what you were watching but Dunk was far more of a liability than Greer today, including a horrendous error that should have led to a third (and would have done if not for Stockdale). Both Dunk and Hunnemeier look more confident with Greer in the team so, at the moment, it would be Greer with one of them (rather than dropping Greer).

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just honest Great entertainment. However if we were playing Derby or Middlesb today we would have been 3 or 4 down . Although we may have got a goal back they would have shut up shop and we would have lost . Just hope we have got that out of our system. Do worry about Dunk who has now had 3/4 poor games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Impossible to rate each player for the match due to the fact that in the first half all were rubbish except DS and in the 2nd all were good. The defining moment was the save by DS by his left post when they wre 2-0 up had they scored a 3rd that would have been curtains for us as we wouldnt have come back from 3 down.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Not sure what you were watching but Dunk was far more of a liability than Greer today, including a horrendous error that should have led to a third (and would have done if not for Stockdale). Both Dunk and Hunnemeier look more confident with Greer in the team so, at the moment, it would be Greer with one of them (rather than dropping Greer).

We'll agree to disagree.

Dunk made one mistake (which had Greer been in the right position, he would've covered for) which I did mention with his misplaced pass which led to a chance that Stockdale saved (I still gave him a 5!). Other than that, their chances came in Bruno's and Greer's area of the pitch, and when Calde was hopelessly outjumped at the back post. Dunk was at least proactive in his defending and his passing was much more expansive in general than Greer's was. He also covered Calde's forays forward much more effectively than Greer did for Bruno.

Compare that to Greer who was out of position so often it bordered on negligence, who covered neither Bruno nor Dunk effectively, who was exposed by pace every time they ran at him in the first half... As I said, we'll agree to disagree. Greer, like everyone else, showed a great improvement in the second half.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We'll agree to disagree.

Dunk made one mistake (which had Greer been in the right position, he would've covered for) which I did mention with his misplaced pass which led to a chance that Stockdale saved (I still gave him a 5!). Other than that, their chances came in Bruno's and Greer's area of the pitch, and when Calde was hopelessly outjumped at the back post. Dunk was at least proactive in his defending and his passing was much more expansive in general than Greer's was. He also covered Calde's forays forward much more effectively than Greer did for Bruno.

Compare that to Greer who was out of position so often it bordered on negligence, who covered neither Bruno nor Dunk effectively, who was exposed by pace every time they ran at him in the first half... As I said, we'll agree to disagree. Greer, like everyone else, showed a great improvement in the second half.

To be honest, we were all overrun at the back but I thought Dunk looked the poorer in the first half and has done for a few weeks e.g. the penalties he could have given away against Bristol City and MK Dons and the one he did give away against Burnley (although I thought that was a poor decision from the referee). As I said, both Hunnemeier and Dunk look more solid alongside Greer (which surprises me as I thought when Hunnemeier signed and Dunk stayed, they would be the permanent side).

The biggest impact was Charlton were impressive in the first half and didn't offer anything in the second so defenders didn't really have any work to do. What was worrying is, without Bong and Rosenior, we lack a lot of pace at the back.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Stockdale 8 - My MOTM as we could have gone in 4 down and the game all over.
Bruno 4 - an off day for the player I consider to be player of the season so far, finally got going in the second half and helped the team drive forward
Greer 6 - not his best game but the best of a very poor back 4
Dunk 3 - all over the shop, time for the BFG to partner Greer
Calderon 4 - looked very slow trying to get up to support Murphy, I would have Chicksen in at Derby. His game may have been impacted on after another heavy 50/50 tackle by a Brighton player playing left back!
Stephens 6 - worked hard but was over run at times as the whole team struggled in the first 45 mins
Kayal 8 - never gave up, battled for 90 minutes, what a player
Murphy 5 - quite game today but was not helped by Calderon not being able to play as an attacking full back. At time the play stalled whenever we came down this side of the pitch
March 8 - another player that is always looking to create, unlucky to see his thunderbolt superbly tipped onto the bar by the keeper. What a run in to set up the equaliser
Zamora 7 - did what he is being paid to do and that's now 3 in 3 games
Wilson 7 - tough first half but started the comeback with an amazing run and goal

Subs
Hemed - so pleased he scored. Looked not to be his day again when denied by a superb save but the rebound ended up at the feet of BZ! Deserved the luck for once after his header looked to have been well saved. Was it spin or wind that took it in??
Van La Parra - looked good on the ball, what a great cross for the winner
Chicksen - just a few minutes to close down Charlton as we reverted to 4 at the back after going 3-2 up

Hughton - 10 prepared to change the shape and risked only 3 at the back as we stalled at 1-2! Risked BZ playing more than 60 minutes and rewarded with a goal!

It was so nice after "hanging on" in so many games to see us drive forward and batter Charlton for basically the whole of the 2nd half. However bad the first half was it was more than made up for in a never say die team spirit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Stockdale 8 Question marks over the first goal for me, but two good saves at crucial times and kicking solid as usual.
Bruno 6 Not as much impact today as he usually has on the game, but solid enough at full back against a quick opponent with no fear.
Greer 6 Pace scared him, but he was composed and solid enough against Vaz Te.
Dunk 6 Being harshly criticised in general, he wasn't that bad but badly troubled by the pace in their attack.
Calderon 7 Flawless. Ignore the criticism, he was solid and could have done no more.
March 8 Not as good as he was last week when he was awesome, but an impressive all round performance.
Stephens 7 Ordinary game for him, first half was a struggle against a fluid team who played on the counter, something to think about going forward.
Kayal 8 Back to the early season form when he was taking the ball on, driving at players and being a real influence.
Murphy 6 Disappointing end product more often than not, not his best game.
Wilson 7 First half anonymous and uninspired, cracking goal though and solid enough.
Zamora 6 In the right place, as ever! But not much of an impact on the game overall.

Subs
Hemed 7 Deserved his goal, albeit very fortunate! Not sure he did anything else, but I'm not sure anyone cares.
La Parra 7 Purely for the cross, awesome ball in.
Chicksen N/A Just on to give a nice cheer for Wilson(?), looked alright.

Hughton 8 Good changes, no point loading the wings and putting crosses in all over the show because they had two 8 foot centre backs to deal with them, so he went central and hoped something would fall our way, which it did with the second goal. Good tactics, but he'll need to think about how we combat counter attacking teams, the only down side to 4-4-2 is that you're really vulnerable to counter attacks if you don't have a dedicated holding midfielder. I'm all for the fluidity of Stephens/Kayal, but when we're playing a team like Charlton, we need to be more tactically aware.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Dunk was our worst player sloppy & poor body language once their second goal went in score of 3 at best. Stockdale MOM for me the rest brilliant all get an 8!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Stockdale 8 Question marks over the first goal for me, but two good saves at crucial times and kicking solid as usual.
Bruno 6 Not as much impact today as he usually has on the game, but solid enough at full back against a quick opponent with no fear.
Greer 6 Pace scared him, but he was composed and solid enough against Vaz Te.
Dunk 6 Being harshly criticised in general, he wasn't that bad but badly troubled by the pace in their attack.
Calderon 7 Flawless. Ignore the criticism, he was solid and could have done no more.
March 8 Not as good as he was last week when he was awesome, but an impressive all round performance.
Stephens 7 Ordinary game for him, first half was a struggle against a fluid team who played on the counter, something to think about going forward.
Kayal 8 Back to the early season form when he was taking the ball on, driving at players and being a real influence.
Murphy 6 Disappointing end product more often than not, not his best game.
Wilson 7 First half anonymous and uninspired, cracking goal though and solid enough.
Zamora 6 In the right place, as ever! But not much of an impact on the game overall.

Subs
Hemed 7 Deserved his goal, albeit very fortunate! Not sure he did anything else, but I'm not sure anyone cares.
La Parra 7 Purely for the cross, awesome ball in.
Chicksen N/A Just on to give a nice cheer for Wilson(?), looked alright.

Hughton 8 Good changes, no point loading the wings and putting crosses in all over the show because they had two 8 foot centre backs to deal with them, so he went central and hoped something would fall our way, which it did with the second goal. Good tactics, but he'll need to think about how we combat counter attacking teams, the only down side to 4-4-2 is that you're really vulnerable to counter attacks if you don't have a dedicated holding midfielder. I'm all for the fluidity of Stephens/Kayal, but when we're playing a team like Charlton, we need to be more tactically aware.

That's what Hemed's done since he arrived. He can appear to be completely anonymous but, and it's a big but, when he does do something it's usually crucial. Yesterday he flicked on Solly's cross that led to Bobby's goal and he scored the winner. If he had Baldock's pace he'd be a £25m striker

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
so reading that you may assume that all the boys thought they had to do was run out on the pitch and the result was already sorted....hopefully that was the wake up call they needed

For me this seems to be a trend of the Amex era. Time after time we look half asleep at the start and usually get away with it. Then sometimes we don't, like the playoff semi where we started so slow we let Palace get a foothold in the game.

Hopefully after yesterday we won't do it for a while.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Stockdale 9 Made some excellent saves - looked like he could've stopped the first but they'd have been out of sight without his crucial saves today.
Bruno 2 first half, 7 second - that first half was the worst I've seen Bruno play (it happens to the best of them). I'd prefer to reflect on the improved second half where he looked to attack and defended much more effectively against their wide man. Culpable for their goals really, although left horribly exposed by Greer and the midfield.
Dunk 5 first half, 7 second - Much better with the ball at his feet than Greer. At least tries to win the ball higher up the pitch and has the pace to recover the majority of the time. Unsurprisingly, their goals and their best chances came from other areas of the defence (aside from his one misplaced pass midway through the first half which was poor). Unfortunately, next to Greer, his weaknesses are exploited much more often as he doesn't have a partner that covers him effectively when he can't nick the ball ahead of the attacker.
Greer 3 first half, 6 second - the negative tactical implications of having him in the side were there to see throughout the first half. He neither coves Bruno effectively, nor is close enough to sweep behind Dunk. When attackers run at him he's a massive liability. He improved in the second half as the midfield protected him much more effectively, but the quicker Uwe comes back into the side, the better.
Calderon 3 first half, 7 second - I love him but he looked like a headless chicken first half. He got a few cheers around me for winning the ball in the first half but on each occasion it was only a result of him being in totally the wrong position in the first place. Improved second half as he supported more offensively, but at the same time, he isn't a viable left back option going forward. It's no surprise that out of our two inverted wingers, the most effective one at the moment is March who has a full back going outside him.
Kayal 5 first half, 8 second - Neither he, nor Stephens, offered enough protection to the defence in the first half, nor did they keep the ball well enough. They looked completely disconnected to the forwards to be honest. However, he massively improved in the second half as he looked to link up further up the pitch and he did his utmost to make things happen.
Stevens 5 first half, 8 second - See above. The main difference between him and Kayal in the second half was that he sacrificed himself for the side much more by sitting deeper, protecting the defence and recycling the ball, whilst also giving Kayal more freedom to support the attack. Effective in his discipline in the second half.
Zamora 3 first half, 8 second - honestly, I didn't notice him in the first half. He seemed totally out of the game, he didn't hold the ball up and he didn't support Wilson particularly well. A drastic second half improvement as he sought out the ball, acted as the target man he's more than capable of being, and scored yet again, justifying Hughton's decision to drop/rest Hemed.
Murphy 5 first half, 7 second half - Suffering from the lack of a full back who goes on the outside of him. Always looks dangerous, though it didn't quite click for him with his final ball today.
March 6 first half, 8 second - Not quite as good as last week, but probably our best outfield player across the 90 minutes. Always looked to make things happen even if his final ball could've been better at times. Kept composed in the first half, even when those around him, including Bruno, were losing their heads. Alleviates pressure so well for us now that he's becoming a vital part of our side. Unlucky with his long range strike.
Wilson 5 first half, 8 second half - Like March, always tried to make things happen even if his end product wasn't always quite on point. His goal was a thing of real beauty and his role in the team, by offering movement in behind defences, offers us a much more rounded threat going forward. Until Baldock is back, it should be him + an other.
Hemed 8 - for such a short cameo, I thought he made a big difference. He really drove at the defence, pressured them and constantly tried to motivate those around him. Should probably stay on the bench next week, but if he starts to perform more regularly like he did when he came on, then he'll be back in the team sooner rather than later (or when Zamora needs a rest/stops scoring so regularly).
Van la Parra 7 - came on, got an assist. Well done lad.

Hughton - fair play to him for turning the team around at half time. He made a ballsy decision bringing Hemed on for Murphy and it initially took the steam out of us. Eventually paid off though, and he deserves the credit for building a side that, having played as badly as we did in the first half (as all teams do from time to time), had the ability and the passion to come back in the second half.

very shocked at the score for greer, was without doubt our best defender by a long way

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That's what Hemed's done since he arrived. He can appear to be completely anonymous but, and it's a big but, when he does do something it's usually crucial. Yesterday he flicked on Solly's cross that led to Bobby's goal and he scored the winner. If he had Baldock's pace he'd be a £25m striker

I can't agree with you there, firstly, I don't agree Baldock has pace. He's a plodder at best, with a decent touch despite being inept at scoring goals at this level. Hemed's goal is typical of all of his goals so far, scrappy. He maybe ought to have taken the chance which led to the Zamora goal, if we're honest, and he's not involved in the game enough to justify a high price tag. And I say that despite liking Hemed!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What others have said. Terrible first half from all but Stockdale, which is pulling down the marks from a great second half.

Stockdale - 9 While near post shots were an issue for him last season, I think Charlton's first goal is one you just have to accept as a good goal.
Bruno - 7.5
Greer - 7.5
Dunk - 7
Calderon - 7.5
Kayal - 7.5
Stephens - 7.5
Murphy - 6 Seemed quite off, on a couple of occasions I saw him look around, realise he was near the centre circle, then make his way out wide to where he was supposed to be, I saw Calderon trying to instruct him where he should be, he seemed to struggle to find any creativity, and his crossing was quite poor for most of the game (though, at some point his team mates should have noticed how many of them he pulled back toward the edge of the box and not always run to the six yard box)
March - 7.5
Wilson - 7.5 I'm hoping his lack of input into most of the game, especially the first half, was due to still getting to know his team mates, or else we will be missing the work that Baldock provided.
Zamora - 7.5

Hemed - 7.5 Played a part in the second goal, score the second.
Van La Parra - 7 Only really noticed one contribution, but it was our only decent cross in the entire game, found Hemed's head for the winner.
Chicksen - n/a

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I can't agree with you there, firstly, I don't agree Baldock has pace. He's a plodder at best, with a decent touch despite being inept at scoring goals at this level. Hemed's goal is typical of all of his goals so far, scrappy. He maybe ought to have taken the chance which led to the Zamora goal, if we're honest, and he's not involved in the game enough to justify a high price tag. And I say that despite liking Hemed!

Baldock clearly has pace

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

It's funny how some fans take views against some players. If you think £1 million is a high price tag for a Championship striker then you are delusional. CMS cost £2 to £2.5 million and did less than Hemed has done in terms of goals. He has contributed a lot and scored 6 goals in the first half of his first season in England. Yet some of our so called fans slag him off, despite apparently liking him.

As for Baldock, he may struggle in front of goal but he does have pace. Whatever fans like you think.

You do seem to have turned from a good poster on here to extremely bitter. Stockdale is an example. You blame him for the first goal in your match ratings yet watch the replays and he has no chance (as you blame him for most goals).

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
It's funny how some fans take views against some players. If you think £1 million is a high price tag for a Championship striker then you are delusional. CMS cost £2 to £2.5 million and did less than Hemed has done in terms of goals. He has contributed a lot and scored 6 goals in the first half of his first season in England. Yet some of our so called fans slag him off, despite apparently liking him.

As for Baldock, he may struggle in front of goal but he does have pace. Whatever fans like you think.

You do seem to have turned from a good poster on here to extremely bitter. Stockdale is an example. You blame him for the first goal in your match ratings yet watch the replays and he has no chance (as you blame him for most goals).
I have to agree on all comments here.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Murphy - 6 Seemed quite off, on a couple of occasions I saw him look around, realise he was near the centre circle, then make his way out wide to where he was supposed to be, I saw Calderon trying to instruct him where he should be, he seemed to struggle to find any creativity, and his crossing was quite poor for most of the game (though, at some point his team mates should have noticed how many of them he pulled back toward the edge of the box and not always run to the six yard box)

Agree about Murphy generally. However, he did play a fantastic ball through to Zamora for the sending off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Baldock is quick, and has a fabulous first touch. Hemed is decent, not pacy but his first touch is light years ahead of CMS.

Stockdale is the best keeper in the division

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here