Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***PLAYER RATINGS vs BOURNEMOUTH***

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Firstly, Bournemouth were poor, though I think Kayal and Stephens did do ok.

I struggle with your Stockdale comment, as he had next to nothing to do and the free-kick was very poor on his part. What I would say however, is that Dunk is the one who should receive the vast majority of any criticism for giving it away in the first place and then doing his usual walkabout for the second.

Agreed that the free-kick was poor, but perhaps he was part of a team to begin with which made Bournemouth look poor. He was a safe pair of hands and his distribution looked pretty good.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed that the free-kick was poor, but perhaps he was part of a team to begin with which made Bournemouth look poor. He was a safe pair of hands and his distribution looked pretty good.

Can't disagree with that.

However, I think you are kidding yourself if you think we played well (or made Bournemouth look bad), we created next to nothing, a snapshot by Stephens and CMS near the end.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Kayal and stevens will be the big partnership than changes things for next season,ger rid if all the loanees ,get his own players in we will be top 10 next year,thought stevens was pretty decent last night

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Stockdale-5 why does he look fine for most of the game but always have at least 1 howler per game?
Bruno -6
dunk-5 I think he needs help with his mental approach.
halfords-6 he's average at best which makes him look good in this team not the answer moving forward
Bennett -4 his positional play is awful you cannot give Ritchie 30metres of space constantly.
Calderon-6 It was almost painful watching him try without the energy to back it up,
Stephens- 6 knocked down a mark has he faded big time in the last 20 probably as he was covering for others
Kayal-8 without this man I think we would be relegated, player of the season despite only arriving in Jan
The guy from middlesboro- 3 oh dear
Tex-6 promises so much but needs others around him to share the burden
Best- can't be arsed, to pick this player is an insult

Subs-5 offered nothing

Management-5 I know they have little to play with but the replacements were poorly timed and too many loanies I would rather play the youngsters at least they are ours.

At 60 Mins we could have beaten them (allowing for them to score an OG) but as soon as Kayal went off game over, 0 goals and 0 point is a possibility for the rest of the season.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Stockdale-6 Will probably be dissapointed with his positioning for the first
Bruno - 7 OK in defence, and the one player who overlapped and got some crosses into the box
Dunk - 4 Needs a rest. Needless reckless tackle for the first and caught out of position trying to chase the games for the second.
Halford - 6 Currently our best centre-half.
Bennett - 5 Didnd't let them attack much down their right, but failed to provide any width going forward.
Calderon- 5 Hope he's given a coaching role; he doesn't really justify a starting place.
Stephens - 6 Probably the best player on the pitch in the first 45; wasted 2 very good chances in the second half
Kayal - 7 Our MotM. No coincidence that the wheels fell off when he was subbed.
Carayal - 6 Would've been a 5 but for one run where he showed what he's capable of. I think he could be a decent player if you consider that he's hardly played for 12 months.
Tex - 6 That dream to play for Liverpool wouldn't have been made any more realistic after last night's performance.
Best 5 - Isolated up front, and I think people are being overly harsh on him. That route 1 move that gave him a 1 on 1 with the keeper showed a nice bit of ability in controlling Stockdale's clearance. Shame he's got no confidence in front of goal.

Management 6 - Organised defensively against the league's most attacking team, but wish we'd be more proactive with subs. instead of waiting to go a goal down. Garcia would nearly always bring KLL on after 60 mins at 0-0.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
stockdale 5
Bruno 6
halford 6
dunk 6
Bennett 6
Kayal 6
Stephens 7 (mom)
Calderon 6
tex 4
carayol 5
best 4
Ince 5
Lua Lua. 4
CMS 4

did not really play bad except stockdale error for free kick
were better than the top team for 60 mins
if only in football it was not so important to put the round bouncy thing
into the netty thing because we never looked like doing that.
tellingly when we made our double substitution and I thought who was coming off
I was stumped because it could have been anyone and I was not
expecting anything from the subs - well I expected Lua Lua to beat a player
before disappointing with shot or cross but I was wrong he didn't manage to
beat a player

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Last night for the 1st time in awhile the right side of defence looked good and solid but as Cloughie used to say defenders are there to defend and the other 3 went missing at the wrong times. What was Dunk thinking with that tackle for the free-kick goal and then charging up field leaving his partner 1 on 1 for the second, Stockdale setting the wall to see the ball then taking a step to his left and the ball going to his right and then there's Bennett(yes it was a dangerous thackle on him ) but to kick a player after could have got him a red.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We played well for the first half and for the first 20 mins of the second half, but we are clearly never going to win a game unless we score goals and we never really looked like scoring last night. Agree with Adam Virgo (on the wireless) when he said Hughton should stick with one (or better two) striker rather than constantly switching between O'Grady and Best. O'Grady is clearly the better of the two, so give him the role for the remainder of the season and stick CMS up front with him.

Stockdale 7. Looked good all game with some confident handling and reasonable distribution. Personally not sure he could have done much about either goal.
Bruno 6. OK game.
Dunk 5. Thought he was OKish for most of the game, but at fault for both goals which is not frigging acceptable.
Halford 8. Confident and assured defending. This guy is very good. Not sure he can be blamed for the second goal. MOM
Bennett 6. Not his best game, but decent enough performance. Not sure he's the guy we want at LB next season.
Kayal 8. Another good game. We could well have grabbed a point or two if he hadn't gone off.
Stephens 7. Good for most of the game, but too many overhit balls to the strikers and a couple of very poor corners/free kicks.
Calderon 5. Didn't see much of the ball.
Tex 7. The guy has undoubted skill and talent. I just wish he would sometimes release the ball just a little bit earlier. No idea why he was taken off, because without his creativity we had absolutely no chance of scoring.
Carayol 4. I have a feeling there's a decent footballer in there somewhere, but why start a player who's obviously very short of match fitness? And why start him and then ignore him? He probably only touched the ball half a dozen times in the first half. Great mazy run in the second half.
Best 4. Probably the best I've seen him play, but that's not saying a lot. He was marginally better than "complete crap". His shot on goal was a joke.

Subs:
Ince 4. Poorest I have seen from him.
Lua Lua 5. We bring him on and then he hardly sees the ball. Pointless.
CMS 4. One decent shot. Not much else.

Manager 5. So far I am far less impressed than I'd hoped to be.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Stockdale 5 first goal was poor
Bennett 6 ok
Dunk 6 ok
Halford 7 for the first 70 minutes 4 for the remaining 20
Bruno 7.5 it' s ridiculous that our most (only?) creative player is a right back
Stephens 7.5 tenacious and effective.
Kayal 7.5 we fell apart after he went off
Tex 6 ok. has a bad habit of not releasing the ball early enough
Carayol 3 pointless, lethargic and fat
Calde 6 ok. not a right winger
Best 1 lazy. won the ball a couple of times. But with him and Carayol we may as well have played with 10 men.

Subs
CMS 6 the ball didn't bounce of him like it usually does. which was nice.
Kaz 4 ineffective
Ince 4 ineffective

As an aside. Bournemouth back 4 looked decent. Elphick and Cook in particular.

How come all of these other clubs have strikers who can hold the ball up and kick it very hard in the vague direction of the goal, and since being in the Championship we've managed to only find one (Ulloa)?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Stockdale 3 - Shocking. Two shots on target, two goals. If he stays where he is for the first he can probably catch the ball. You can't really blame him for the second but many keepers would have done better. His distribution prevents him from being a 1. We need a better keeper if we want to challenge for promotion.
Bruno 5
Dunk 2 - The only person to play worse than Stockdale. His fault for the first is arguable (you could say the player had to be stopped), but clearly at fault for the second and there was another incident which almost led to a goal when he gave the ball away with a weak pass.
Halford 5
Bennett 5
Calderon 6 - The only player to appeal for the penalty, which if the ref or lino sees it, is a clear handball. But hardly anyone saw it so you can't really blame the ref.
Stephens 6
Kayal 6
Carayol 5
Tex 6
Best 4

Subs:

Ince 5
LuaLua 5
CMS 6 - Closest we came to scoring all night was his cheeky effort

Last edited:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Stockdale 6. Looked a good free kick to me and made important saves in first half
Bruno 7. Linked up well with Calde.
Bennett 5. Ok
Dunk 4. Not OK, far from OK. Stockdale has no confidence in him
Halford 7. Strong, aggressive for the most part. Keep him
Kayal 8. His injury was the turning point. aggressive, great vision, driven
Stephens 7. Terrible shots but again strong and busy
Calderon 6. Should have got a penalty
Texiera 5. Further evidence of his loss of confidence in front of goal. Won't play for
Liverpool in competitive matches
Carayol 4. One great run, some nice touches not much else. Is he match fit?
Best 3 and I'm convinced CH is going to get him on a permanent contract

Ince. Rushed on so not warmed up. One of those days where he had no control of his legs
KLL. Did nothing
CMS. Did nothing

Er what saves did Stockdale make? Two shots on target, two goals. And watch the free-kick again.

Halford wasn't very aggressive for the second.

CMS came the closest to scoring for us all night.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Stockdale 6

Bruno 7
Dunk 6
Halford 6
Bennett 6

Kayal 7
Stephens 8
Tex 6

Carayol 6