Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings v Wolves

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Another one forgetting Moder! Maybe you're blocking out the trauma of his set pieces? I'll do it for you: 4 One of the worst games I've seen him play - he looked disinterested. And, ffs, he is 6ft 3. If he doesn't want to damage his pretty face heading the ball, at least he can make a nuisance of himself in the box. On that showing he should never take corners again. Disclosure - I watched a stream.

Ouch. Sorry. I made the mistake of copying another posters list and changed scores and comments.
Lesson learned.
Moder looks a prospect but was poor generally and awful corners and free kicks. March was no better.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
March 2.

And that’s for what happened in the first half. Second half he was anonymous. He can impose himself on a game, but it is so rare. There is no movement, no anticipation, it’s like he’s a spectator but on the pitch. He was moved to the wing next to the bench last night it seemed so they could tell him where to stand. He’s a seasoned pro, but plays like a player straight out of the academy.

I wish he believed in himself more. We need it. He was showing something earlier in the season. I don’t know what’s happened but last night he was really poor. Pull your finger out Solly.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Bobby Sanchez 6 - Very little to do, could have done better with the goal.
Lamptey 8 - A constant menace, always a threat and defensively sound.
Veltz 7 - A class act but very little to do.
BDB 6 - Typically gutsy performance but not a huge workload.
Cuca 7 - Effort and application in abundance
Mwepu 6- One mark down for a bad miss but all action.
Modz 6 - Solid and dependable
Biss 7 - A collosus for us, not at his sublime best but still some crucial interceptions and at the heart of our best work generally.
Solly 6- A woeful early finish from a beautifully worked move when we were dominant, game could have changed if he'd have taken it.
AC 6- Plenty of effort but work cut out against such a stern, disciplined defence.
Tross 7 - Some lovely touches, but nobody else on his wavelength, plenty of class.
MacAllister 7 - Lots to admire but a lack of end product.
Lallana 7 - Looks so classy, you.cluld see the concern in the Wolves backline, we looked a bigger threat after his return.

Overall a spirited display we deserved more from, with players returning we will be a different force.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Sanchez 6.5
Lamptey 6 - weirdly hesitant
Veltman 7 - MoM
Burn 5.5
Cucurella 6
Mwepu 5.5
Moder 6
Bissouma 6
March 5
Connolly 4
Trossard 6

MacAllister 6
Lallana 5
Richards 5.5

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Bobby Sanchez 6 - Very little to do, could have done better with the goal.
Lamptey 8 - A constant menace, always a threat and defensively sound.
Veltz 7 - A class act but very little to do.
BDB 6 - Typically gutsy performance but not a huge workload.
Cuca 7 - Effort and application in abundance
Mwepu 6- One mark down for a bad miss but all action.
Biss 7 - A collosus for us, not at his sublime best but still some crucial interceptions and at the heart of our best work generally.
Solly 6- A woeful early finish from a beautifully worked move when we were dominant, game could have changed if he'd have taken it.
AC 6- Plenty of effort but work cut out against such a stern, disciplined defence.
Tross 7 - Some lovely touches, but nobody else on his wavelength, plenty of class.
MacAllister 7 - Lots to admire but a lack of end product.
Lallana 7 - Looks so classy, you.cluld see the concern in the Wolves backline, we looked a bigger threat after his return.

Overall a spirited display we deserved more from, with players returning we will be a different force.

Well that's a way to look at it. A very effective grading scale.

Edit: What did Moder do to deserve this eradication from history?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Will annoy a few. Scale: 0 = Akpom, 10 = sublime from start to finish.

Sanchez 8 MOTM

Lamptey 6
Veltman 5
Burn 5
Cucurella 4 - poor decision making, playing in an out of sorts teams has dented his early brilliance.

Mwepu 6 - great runs, power, pace, awful in front of goal.
Moder 1 - shocker
Bissouma 4 - still no where near the level before **
March 4 - tried, but into dead ends.

Connolly 1 - better than Akpom
Trossard 4 - didn’t know he was playing for first 35. Strange evening for my favourite player this season.

MacAllister 2
Lallana 2
Richards 2

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
I think it’s the grind of draws and losses, a win would lift all of us. Villa Park was just like the Amex when we played them, silence and nerves in the stadium, until they scored….now they’re doing alright.

Trip home was a bit crap, M25 slip road closed, accident near Bath, roadworks, Severn Bridge closed…got home at 1-50 am. Oh well I’ll probably be there for the next one (whenever that might be).

Yes I had fun with the M25 closure too. The good thing about driving back at silly o’ clock is there’s little traffic but night time road closures are a challenge - particularly when I ended up heading towards Croydon!! All of it matters little when we win but it’s been a while! Sanchez was great but he was an exception - onwards and upwards - hopefully!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Will annoy a few. Scale: 0 = Akpom, 10 = sublime from start to finish.

Sanchez 8 MOTM

Lamptey 6
Veltman 5
Burn 5
Cucurella 4 - poor decision making, playing in an out of sorts teams has dented his early brilliance.

Mwepu 6 - great runs, power, pace, awful in front of goal.
Moder 1 - shocker
Bissouma 4 - still no where near the level before **
March 4 - tried, but into dead ends.

Connolly 1 - better than Akpom
Trossard 4 - didn’t know he was playing for first 35. Strange evening for my favourite player this season.

MacAllister 2
Lallana 2
Richards 2

A bit harsh (the 1s) and a bit silly (the subs, who really werent that bad).

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
March 2.

And that’s for what happened in the first half. Second half he was anonymous. He can impose himself on a game, but it is so rare. There is no movement, no anticipation, it’s like he’s a spectator but on the pitch. He was moved to the wing next to the bench last night it seemed so they could tell him where to stand. He’s a seasoned pro, but plays like a player straight out of the academy.

I wish he believed in himself more. We need it. He was showing something earlier in the season. I don’t know what’s happened but last night he was really poor. Pull your finger out Solly.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

He's got to hit the target with that early break and shot - we score then I think Wolves would have been struggled even more.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They didn't get a chance to impose themselves, as Wolves bossed the second half with a counter attacking game that tore us to shreds.

They played brilliant counter-attacking football (with Albion-quality finishing) while, at the same time, ensuring that they left at least six outfield players behind the ball. The most blatant protect-what-we-hold strategy I've yet twigged.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They played brilliant counter-attacking football (with Albion-quality finishing) while, at the same time, ensuring that they left at least six outfield players behind the ball. The most blatant protect-what-we-hold strategy I've yet twigged.

Sanchez prevented a 4 or 5 nil crushing.

It's an age old strategy in football that has its merits.

Everyone to their own, it suits my cautious nature when it comes to sport.

For many years I've loved seeing football teams that set up with 2 fairly deep CM's protecting the CB's (but also contributing with a passing game to game-changers), with everyone else given free rein to attack.

The only Albion era I can remember this was Jan 2015 to Easter 2017, golden years for me.

Stephens, Kayal, Sidwell and Norwood shared those two roles.

We were so solid, at the same time devastating going forward.

CH at the time :bowdown:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/15/brighton-wolves-premier-league-match-report

"Caught out by a moment of genius from Neves, Brighton had to push more players forward. Yet that suited Wolves. They are dangerous on the break and almost doubled their lead at the start of the second half, Marçal hitting the bar with a mishit cross and Francisco Trincão shooting too close to Sánchez after a powerful run from Traoré.

Brighton were on the ropes. Their midfield had disappeared and their makeshift centre-back pairing of Joël Veltman and Burn was repeatedly being exposed to Traoré’s speed. Wolves were threatening to run riot. Saïss hit the woodwork from close range and Podence twice went through on goal, only to shoot straight at Sánchez on both occasions".

5 attempts on target to 2.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/dec/15/brighton-wolves-premier-league-match-report

"Caught out by a moment of genius from Neves, Brighton had to push more players forward. Yet that suited Wolves. They are dangerous on the break and almost doubled their lead at the start of the second half, Marçal hitting the bar with a mishit cross and Francisco Trincão shooting too close to Sánchez after a powerful run from Traoré.

Brighton were on the ropes. Their midfield had disappeared and their makeshift centre-back pairing of Joël Veltman and Burn was repeatedly being exposed to Traoré’s speed. Wolves were threatening to run riot. Saïss hit the woodwork from close range and Podence twice went through on goal, only to shoot straight at Sánchez on both occasions".

5 attempts on target to 2.

And how often does a team win 4-0 when they have 5 attempts on target?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I have enjoyed many of your posts in the past ....and some of your opinions.

However, just recently I have found your comments unfriendly, offensive and ridiculously biased in favour towards Mr. Potter.

Your usefulness and insight to this forum has reached an endpoint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here