Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Watford (h)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some of the low ratings on here make me wonder if Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea players are being used as a bench mark :smile:

Given the number of Albion fans who might have the Albion as a second team that shouldn't be a surprise :jester:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Kuszczak 7
Bruno 6
Greer 6
Upson 6
Ward 7
Caskey 6
Andrews 5
Crofts 7
Conway 6
Barnes 7
Buckley 8

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Some of the low ratings on here make me wonder if Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea players are being used as a bench mark :smile:

Given the number of Albion fans who might have the Albion as a second team that shouldn't be a surprise :jester:

Surely you mark every player whether they are playing a Premiership or Championship game starting at a 5 as average for what you have come to expect in that standard and then + or - for their performance during the game. Are you suggesting that a higher number than 5 should be considered the average?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Thought we were ok at best.

Kuszczak - 5 - bit flappy
Bruno - 6 - lucky to stay on
Greer - 5 - over the line or not, why did he not swing his left at it?
Upson - 6
Ward - 7
JFC - 4 - disappointing, lost all his personal battles in first half
Andrews - 4 - if you are going to pull out of challenges, go back to Bolton!
Crofts - 6
Conway - 5 - used his left foot............ Once. Not good enough
Buckley - 8 - looked dangerous
Barnes - 6 - better when he replaced Conway
That was pretty poor. We really do lack a midfielder with bite at the moment. Someone really should have kicked Forestieri into the stands.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Surely you mark every player whether they are playing a Premiership or Championship game starting at a 5 as average for what you have come to expect in that standard and then + or - for their performance during the game. Are you suggesting that a higher number than 5 should be considered the average?

No I'm suggesting that marking anyone with a 5 or less last night is a travesty and they are possibly influenced by how good a Premier League player is when giving their marks.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Surprised no one has picked up on how good Ward was. Made a couple of crucial interventions. Thought he, Buckley and Barnes were really good and Crofts just shaded them for MoM for me. Agreed with Garcia's comments that we put in a decent performance against a team with no injuries. And Deeny didn't score for once!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
From the Sofa (Bad Fan)

Kusczack 7
Bruno 5
Greer 5
Upson 6
Ward 6
Andrews 6
JFC 6
Crofts 7
Buckley 8
Conway 6
Barnes 7

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Kuzsczak - 7 the deflection caught him out for their goal. His kicking has improved and he commanded his box better then he has in recent performances.

Bruno - 8
Greer - 6 Saved us on the line.
Upson - 8 One dodgy pass. Apart from that he was brilliant.
Ward - 6. Unlucky deflection for their goal but he was his usual solid self.

Andrews - 6
JFC - 6
Crofts - 8 Nicely taken goal. And nearly scored another but their keeper made a very good save.

Buckley - 7 Their full back had his hands full.
Conway - 6 some good crosses but a very average performance.
Barnes - 8 Brilliant. Held the ball up very well and made some very good creative passes. Forced their keeper into a very good save in the first half from a header.

Lita - not sharp enough yet but that will come with playing more. He has a presence on their centre backs.
Calderon - Only got a couple of minutes but showed some attacking threat in that time.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
Kuzsczak - 7

Bruno - 4
Greer - 6
Upson - 6
Ward - 7

Andrews - 7
JFC - 7
Crofts - 7

Buckley - 6
Conway - 6
Barnes - 8

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No I'm suggesting that marking anyone with a 5 or less last night is a travesty and they are possibly influenced by how good a Premier League player is when giving their marks.

Don't normally disagree with you Icy Gull, but I am amazed that more than a fair proportion of fans, think that was a performance worthy of high marks. It was better than Yeovil granted, but it was desperate for long periods, and reserve team or not, the fact that we were defending deep towards the end and kicking it aimlessly upfield to Lita out of pure hope is not good enough. If we are satisfied with a home draw against Watford, well our standards have really fallen. I know we lost to them last season, but they were a much better team then IMO, with Vydra and a fully fit Deeney.

I think and hope last night was a turning point and we will now kick on.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Have to question the "gaffer" on his selection:
- why get a striker on loan (Lita) and not start him? Particularly when the guy you do start with hasn't scored since ..... Pontius was on simulators. Madness.
- Bruno in preference to Calderon??? He's a liability on too many occasions.
- our wingers last night hardly set the world alight. Why not give Solly March a start?
- JFC really isn't up to the required standard. We must have a better (uninjured) option.

Kuszczack 6: No chance with the goal. Otherwise played OK.
Bruno 4: One or two nice pieces of trickery, a couple of excellent passes, but apart from that a real liability. His defending is very poor and he could well of been shown a second yellow early in the 2nd half.
Upson 5: So-so game. Doesn't look as good as last season.
Greer 6: A little better than Upson, but too many wayward passes.
Ward 6: Nutmegged far too easily early in the 2nd half (immediately before Watford's second "goal", I believe), but apart from that a decent game.
Andrews 5: A bit anonymous in my opinion.
Crofts 7: Well taken goal and another great shot. Worked hard. MOM.
Conway 6: Probably the best I have seen from him. Shame about the header; he got up well.
JFC 4: Not good enough. Too lightweight; does not appear to be giving 100%.
Buckley 5: Very frustrating. Seems unable to beat his man. Too many poor crosses mixed in with some good ones. Nowhere near the player he was last season.
Barnes: 7: One of his better games recently, but playing the striker role he needs to score goals!

Subs:
Lita 5: Difficult to rate him. Only touched the ball twice in 20 mins on the pitch. His team-mates appeared to ignore him when he came on.
Calderon 6: At least he looked interested.

Frustrating game. A point against the 7th place team is not bad, but it was really a 2-1 defeat which is nowhere good enough. Too many players playing below last season's standards.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Kuszczack 7 - a couple of fine saves
Bruno 5 - either dreadful or brilliant (going forward), no inbetween
Upson 5 - exposed a couple of times
Greer 6 - relatively solid
Ward 7 - good after a sluggish start
Andrews 4 - his worst game for us, pulled out of some challenges
JFC 6 - thought he put in a shift
Crofts 7 - always looking to fashion something and got stuck in
Conway 7 - some good crosses, if he saw more of the ball he would have done even better
Buckley 7 - a decent enough performance and seemed to have more of his old pace last night
Barnes 8 - man of the match, class performance but lots of donkey work, so not much chance to score.

Subs: Lita 6 - didn't see much of the ball but looked lively; Cade - not on long enough.

A good hard-working team performance for which the players should be given some credit.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I often wonder if I have seen the same game as some. Against a strong Watford side with a mix of power and skill as a unit the Albion battled to a well deserved draw. Upson a Greer were both really solid, yes a couple of miss placed passes but they are defenders and only conceded a deflected goal.

Crofts and Andrews both put in great shifts last night, JFC showed potential and Buckley and Barnes both had good games. The spine of the side is coming along nicely and the team are starting to play the managers style with more confidence.

For what it's worth I think we would be a better side playing 4 4 2, however at present we don't have the players to play it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Averages

Starters (21 votes)
Buckley 7.19
Crofts 6.98
Barnes 6.95
Ward 6.52 (92mins)
Kuszczak 6.45
Upson 6.21
Forster-Caskey 5.74
Andrews 5.71
Conway 5.60 (75mins)
Greer 5.60
Bruno 5.33

Subs
Calderon 6.00 (5mins - 4 votes)
Lita 5.67 (22mins - 6 votes)

Squad Average - 6.15

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
When I heard the MOM announcement I thought for sure the sponsors were not only very very drunk, but also very very stupid. Just an opinion, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here