Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings v Hull (Home)

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I didn't want to start a new thread so thought it was appropriate here.

I was constantly worried by how isolated Chicksen was. In the main he seemed to deal with it well but why was this? Was it Lua Lua leaving him exposed, Chicksen poorly positioned or Hull moving the ball well?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Brezovan 7
Calderon 7
Dunk 8
Upson 8
Chicksen 6
Andrews 5
Ince 8
JFC 8
Buckley 7
Lua lua 5
Ulloa 7

March 8
Obika 2 -Shocking

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Brez 5
Calde 6
Dunk 8.5
Upson 8.5 centre back pairing supreme. Joint MotM
Chicksen 5
Andrews 4.5
Ince 7
JFC 7
Buckley 5
Ulloa 8
LuaLua 5

March 7
Obika 1 how can someone who's clearly strong, fast and athletic look knackered within a few minutes of being on the pitch?
DR n/a

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I didn't want to start a new thread so thought it was appropriate here.

I was constantly worried by how isolated Chicksen was. In the main he seemed to deal with it well but why was this? Was it Lua Lua leaving him exposed, Chicksen poorly positioned or Hull moving the ball well?

A bit of all those. Hull know they've got a gem in Elmohamady, and they clearly targeted our left side. It's quite easy when you've got the passing ability of Livermore and, especially, Huddlestone in your side, and the pace, directness and crossing ability of Elmohamady. Combine this with Chicksen being raw, and KLL's poor positioning -- made worse by the fact that he decided to spend too much of the night on the ground -- and it doesn't really take too much to work it out.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Brez: 6. Not much to do so hard to rate

Calde 7
Dunk 8 MOTM
Upson 8
Chicksen 6

Andrews 6
Ince 7
JFC 7

Buckley 7
LuaLua 5

Ulloa 8

Subs:

March 7
Obika 4

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Brezovan 7
Calderon 7
Dunk 7
Upson 8
Chicksen 7
Andrews 7
Ince 7
JFC 6
Buckley 7
Lua lua 6
Ulloa 8

March 7
Obika 5

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Surprised to see the low scores for Chicksen on this thread, I thought he had a very decent game. Showed some good pace and intelligent positioning. I think he looks a event prospect.

Also thought JFC had one of his better games for us. He put in a Crofts-like performance getting in good forward positions and showing some drive from midfield. Shame he didn't do more with his chance at the end.

Brez 7
Chicksen 7
Dunk 8
Upson 8
Calde 6
JFC 8
Ince 7
Andrews 5
Buckley 7
Kaz 5
Ulloa 7

Subs
March 7
Obika 2
Rod n/a

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Surprised to see the low scores for Chicksen on this thread, I thought he had a very decent game. Showed some good pace and intelligent positioning. I think he looks a event prospect.

Also thought JFC had one of his better games for us. He put in a Crofts-like performance getting in good forward positions and showing some drive from midfield. Shame he didn't do more with his chance at the end.

Brez 7
Chicksen 7
Dunk 8
Upson 8
Calde 6
JFC 8
Ince 7
Andrews 5
Buckley 7
Kaz 5
Ulloa 7

Subs
March 7
Obika 2
Rod n/a

I thought JFC played very well. He did snap at this chances a bit but he did a lot of running and work against a very good midfield.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good to see JFC getting some good marks from last night, I often feel he is underrated here by many as unlike lua lua and March his work isn't often eye catching. He is however an incredibly intelligent player for his age, if he had a bit more pace he would be worth £5 million+ already.

Watch his runs perfectly timed with excellent awareness of the match situation, works hard for the team often getting ahead of the ball and working hard to get back behind it when possession is lost.

Has a good understanding with Ulloa and he reads his flicks and lay offs really well.

Some have marked him low here a bit like port vale away where he was superb, again you need to watch him closely to appreciate what he gives to the team.

As mentioned before Chicksen, Dunk, Ince, March & Forster Caskey are fantastic emerging players and bode well for the future. Would be nice to see us produce a keeper and striker of similar ability, I hear Walton is a good prospect so maybe in 2/3 years we will have a team made up of 5/6 development lads who have been ingrained with our style of play. Exciting times.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Is it me or does Dunk look a lot bigger and stronger? Was great to see some of the younger guys get a run out.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
seriously people scoring JFC less than an 8 need there eyes checking, he was terrific, as was Chicksen who was totally isolated at times defensively last night and put in another decent performance in my opinion

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Brezovan 7
Calderon 6
Dunk 8.5
Upson 8
Chicksen 6
Andrews 6
JFC 6
Ince 8
Ulloa 8
Buckley 8
LuaLua 5

March 7
Obika 5
Rodriguez -

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Brezovan - 7 - the best distribution from our keeper that I have seen in years

Calderon - 7 - solid at the back, expected more from him with his two opportunities in the second half
Upson - 8 - becoming a rock at the centre of defence
Dunk - 7.5 He only lacks game time, unfortunate with the goal, but you have to stay on your feet as a central defender, he will have learned
Chicksen - 7.5 - was pleased with his performance, looks pacy and not easily beaten at left back, coped with being left exposed in the first half

Ince - 8.5 - the best I have seen him, he's in my opinion better than Bridcutt in that he can play a forward ball, unnoticed and solid
Andrews - 4 - slow and ponderous, wanted too much time on the ball' looks a bit outdated now
JFC - 7.5 - drifted into some very good positions, appears stronger, if he had a little more speed would have helped, had a very good game though

Buckley - 6 - fantastic ball for Ulloa, but I have reservations about him, will he ever recover?
LuaLua - 4 - doesn't seem to understand the game at times, made too many wrong choices and needs to stand up and stop feigning injury, a little immature
Ulloa - 8 - he knows where the goal is, cutting infront of their defender was a master stroke, where did that speed come from, a very good game but could have won it before half time with that header

Subs
March - 8 - Reminding me very much of Nooney, he must surely start even if he doesn't last the whole game, a little more composure infront of goal, but always looks lively
Obika - 5 - I'm just not sure about this guy, doesn't appear to have great control, no real speed and cannot hold the ball up. Did little for us

Oscar Garcia - 9- What an enlightened team selection, the only fault was leaving Lua Lua on, should have come off at 60 minutes for Rodrigeuz
Rodriguez - not enough time to give rating

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Brezovan 7
Calderon 7
Dunk 8
Upson 8
Chicksen 7
Andrews 6
JFC 7
Ince 7
Ulloa 7
Buckley 7
LuaLua 6

March 7
Obika 4
Rodriguez not on long enough to warrant a score.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
What is the lowest average score achieved by a player - will Obika beat it?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Brezovan 7
Calderon 7
Dunk 7
Upson 8
Chicksen 7.5
Andrews 4.5
Ince 7
JFC 5.5
Buckley 7.5
Lua lua 5
Ulloa 8

March 7
Obika 4

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What is the lowest average score achieved by a player - will Obika beat it?

Going up the averages until at least 20 appearance...

2013/14
Ankergren (1apps) 4.50
Obika (6apps) 5.05
Barker (1apps) 5.09
Lopez (28apps) 5.29

2012/13
Brezovan (1app) 4.63
Harley (3apps) 4.81
Agdestein (3apps) 5.05
Dobbie (14apps) 5.47
Dunk (9apps) 5.65
Barker (3apps) 5.96