Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Albion v CP (22 Feb 21)

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Sanchez 5 caught napping when we needed him

White 5 - caught napping when we needed him. better as DM
Dunk 6 - strangely muted for someone who "gets it"
Burn 5 - positive going forward but caught napping when we needed him

Veltman 9 - looking great, exploited the space mac alister made
Gross 7 - good delivery from set pieces but little else
Bissouma 6 - most ineffectual game for ages
Alzate 5 - wasnt working for him

Mac Allister 8 creative.

Trossard 6 - face like a slapped arse all day. Attitude rubs off on others
Maupay 5 - consistently poor decisions

Welbeck - 5 looked alright but missed a sitter
Lallana - 6 looked alright but missed a sitter

Ali J - 5 on another day could have had the winner

Potter: 5 - poor decision to bring on Jahanbaksch and withdraw our best midfielder

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Sanchez 8 - literally nothing to do but pick the ball out of the net. Will be embarassed that the first goal went between his legs but not at fault. No keeper would have saved the 2nd.

Veltman 9 MOTM -his best game and a very tidy finish (can't see any of our other players, on current form, scoring that goal). No blame for the 2nd. Maybe he should have been tighter but after all the effort he had put in no surprise he was knackered at 95 mins.
White 5 -sorry, still think he's a tad overrated and perhaps we should have sold to buy a striker. He's still learning though. 1st goal he was a bit limp with a dangly leg. For the 2nd my stream froze so I haven't seen the wild clearance others are moaning about (it's not shown on the highlights).
Dunk 6 - played ok, was in no man's land for the 1st.
Burn 7 - some lovely crosses today that reached our men but they couldn't capitalise. Caught out by pace on the 1st goal but then Ayew has done that to many. Immense energy from the start of the 2nd half. Like Veltman this meant he was knackered on 95 mins and contributed to not being tight enough to Benteke, although I still don't think this would have stopped the goal.
Alzate 5 - bit anonymous. No Solly in that position but can't blame him. He's versatile - what is his best position? Dunno.

Bissouma 6 - some sloppy passing 1st half could have been punished. Better 2nd. Simple but not that influential.
Gross 6 - worked hard, played ok but no killer mostly filler.
MacAllister 6 - same really. He shoots, which is good, but he rarely troubles the keeper, sadly.

Trossard 7 - showed some trickery 2nd half. Dillies and dallies a bit - he can finish better when he strikes first time on the run.
Maupay 5 - sorry, but so off form and again, as above, takes too long and wants so many touches. He does work hard though and causes a nuisance. He gets into position and wins headers in the box but just doesn't seem tall enough or jump high enough to then be able to get them on target.

Subs:
Welbeck 6 - did ok and a few near misses. Appears a bit lazy but then he's a different kind of player and is made of glass. Sadly, I don't think he's the answer and will only score 4-5 a season.
Lallana 6 - nice simple passes as usual but dreadful shooting.
Jahanbakhsh 4 - wrong sub by GP and as ever seems to get in the way or into the space others want to go in. disagree that his shot was going to be a goal before it was blocked, it was a tame hit the keeper would have saved. Bored of him now, move him on.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I half agree with you but Hodgson’s set up and game plan was eminently predictable and I felt throughout the first half that Potter’s instructions before the game must have been to not lose the ball at all costs rather than try and be more positive and quicker.

Welbeck’s introduction helped but don’t think it explains why the whole team seemed energised in the second half? Suggests Potter should have introduced him much earlier if he really was the reason for the transformation.

Either way, it suggests Potter was at fault for his poor game management and the lack of a Plan B is really bugging me!

I’m not a Potter Out man and love the football we play up to the final third but the lack of results over the last year is driving me nuts as with other fans.

On a separate note, I find it a bit ironic that so many fans are castigating Palace tonight as an anti-football team.

They can and do play some decent football at times when on song and last night’s backs to the wall performance was worthy of Hughton for most of our tenure in the PL. We were terrible a lot of the time, particularly away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I half agree with you.....................but didn't we get Potter's 'plan B' for the first 30 mins or so of the second half (until we ran out of steam a bit) ? We did everything but put the ball in the ****ing net - we were all over them.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sanchez 5 Don't think he could realistically have done anything for the two goals

Veltman 8 Played well going forward good goal MOTM
Dunk 6 Had a fairly good game but was found unusually out of position on a couple of occasions especially for their first goal
White 5 Again did alright but some of his passing was poor
Burn 7 played some great stuff as always gives the maximum he can some great play going forwards but was partly at fault for the first and even more so for the second
Alzate 4 A poor game by his standards

Gross 5 big effort with little results
Bissouma 5 Poor game by his standards
Macallister 6 looked our most dangerous midfielder took a whack just before coming off

Trossard 5 his ability to control the ball in tight areas is very good very talented but there was no way through as the transition was just to slow
Maupay 5 works hard but nearly always had three players on him as soon as he got the ball, wanted to take a touch before shooting

Welbeck 6 big impact when he came on
Lallana 4 two big chances missed
Jahanbakhsh 3 not on long enough to score any higher

52 touches inside the palace box 25 shots = 1 goal
2 touches inside the Albion's box 3 shots = 2 goals

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think the OP was pretty much bang on

scores for the fact it was Palace, ZERO. with the exception of Veltman, the only player who really looked up for it.

poor from Dunk not to raise the team bar in that respect . Maybe Potter ( 0/10 for versatility during the game and attitude vs Palarse) has told them to be nice.

**** nice, the idea is to WIN!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So you are not willing to make marks based on when single good events happened (because shirely its the entire game that counts) but you are willing to make your marks on single bad events that happened (because shirley suddenly its no longer the entire game that counts)?

Good, you should remind yourself every day about the people and things you love.

Using your logic, if a goalie plays okay but has a couple of moments of madness directly leading to goals conceded (Alisson recently, Pickford more than once in the past), then that’s an acceptable 6, 7 or 8.

Similarly we saw Montoya elegant on the ball marauding forward, but caught out of position and destroyed by D.O’Neil, Redmond and R.Fraser costing goals, we lost.

All the above failed in their duties in those games, warranting low performance scores.

Some people seem to think 0 to 3 are taboo. Why? Might hurt a player’s feelings? You’re not a true fan?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Using your logic, if a goalie plays okay but has a couple of moments of madness directly leading to goals conceded (Alisson recently, Pickford more than once in the past), then that’s an acceptable 6, 7 or 8.

Similarly we saw Montoya elegant on the ball marauding forward, but caught out of position and destroyed by D.O’Neil, Redmond and R.Fraser costing goals, we lost.

All the above failed in their duties in those games, warranting low performance scores.

Some people seem to think 0 to 3 are taboo. Why? Might hurt a player’s feelings? You’re not a true fan?

My logic? I didnt say that "go by the entire game" to then in pretty much the next sentence mention that I base my ratings off one or two situations. Afaik I've not mentioned how I reason when I make my ratings.

Anyway, I think the reason 0-3 are taboo to some people are because of actually judging from the entire game (right or wrong) rather than some moments as there's a lot happening over 90 minutes and every player is bound to make good and bad stuff over those 90 minutes. Personally I have the opinion that a goal conceded is very rarely a single individuals fault and a goal scored is very rarely the just one player doing a good thing, so I dont give ratings just based on the last thing I see before a goal. Right or wrong. Maybe its cultural stuff, I live by the pre-Zlatan Swedish point of view where you win as a team and lose as a team.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Pretty much agree with the ratings and comments but would be very harsh on Potter tonight.

The fact that we could step it up so much in the second half begs the question as to what he said before the match that resulted in such a poor first half?

Was it to send CP to sleep with our lethargic sideways passing in our half!? Possession isn’t everything as our results over the past year prove and the only way you break down a team that parks the bus is with some speed and imagination to do the unexpected.

Substitution with Ali J was totally inexplicable too......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you sort of answered your own point there!

Was unexpected! Was worthless. Ali J looked bemused too.

Zequiri or Connolly would have been far better options but what do we know?

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

That's one of the widely acknowledged problems goalkeepers face, that a single mistake leads to immediately catastrophic consequences. They have to achieve a higher level of reliability because of their situation.

To flip it around, if you marked every player by the same standard a goalie's held to they'd all get 2 or 3, because every player makes lots of mistakes throughout a match. They're only picked up on if they obviously lead to goals or big chances.

The team last night were fine. Could have been set up better initially. Should have put away at least 1 more chance. Both of Palace's goals were preventable but these things happen. We learnt nothing we didn't already know.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Sanchez - 5 - I can't bring myself to watch the replays but felt he should have done more for their second. Enjoyed his sweeper role though.
Veltman - 8- MOTM. Excellent throughout. Our only attacking outlet in the first half.
White - 5. Tidy passing for the most part. Pretty mediocre performance up until that hoof which was brainless and lead the goal.
Dunk - 7 - Best of the back 3. Did what he does.
Burn - 5 -I thought he looked decent in the second half and put in a few good crosses. No idea what he was doing for their second goal. Seemed to back off as the ball came in. Bizarre.

Bissouma - 6 - Not at his best but kept it ticking over
Alzate - 4 - Not his night. One bright moment when he burst into the box but ultimately came to nothing.
Gross - 5 - Poor set piece delivery. Nice touches and passes but no thrust.
MacAllister - 6 - Thought he looked up for it and was surprised he was brought off.
Trossard - 6 - Underwhelming first half but thought he was much better second.
Maupay - 5 - Similar to above re the first half but didn't offer a focal point in our attack. Better second half but only marginally

Lallana - 5 - Got into some nice positions and fluffed his lines. Should have at least hit the target with his free shot.
Wellbeck - 6- Offered more going forward in the second half. Thought he could have done more (tactical foul) in the build up to their second.
Jahanbaksh - 4 - No idea why he was brought on. Had a shot that went behind and that was the highlight.

Such a frustrating night. We played so well at times so it feels odd giving mediocre ratings but the individual errors and lack of cutting edge cost us. Felt much more like an early season game. A far cry from recent results where we've looked somewhat composed at the back.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It was most likely nothing he said that caused the poor (or below average) first half. It was more about the setup, so I would say it was a tactical mistake (or less than optimal decision) from Potter. It might have looked "lazy" or "not passionate" but the reason it looked that way was because the spaces where Brighton wanted to play were shut off by Hodgsons setup. White, Dunk and Burn were not "fannying" around at the back because they werent disinterested in doing otherwise, but because Hodgson put players front and behind of the AMC:s, sort of a double man-mark. In second half with Welbeck coming on and drawing extra attention, other players got more space. The reason for the poor first half, according to me, was that GP should have started two strikers from the get go in order to create more space centrally. Instead the team had to rely on the wings and with no natural wing back on the left, Veltman was the only real option/threat.

Completely agree. Palace didnt line up 4-4-2, but they moved EZE inside more to stop the passes through the lines. They accepted the ball out to the full-backs and, if you watch Townsend, then sprint to stop the pass back in-field. Potter sussed it and changed to decent effect 2nd half. Whether it was predictable I don't know - it was unlikely that we would need 3 defenders , but the turnaround was nothing to do with lack of effort, fannying around or simply poor play from us in the first half, just difficult to play through as was intended.
The switch in formation gave us the desired impetus.. good management. The plaudit for RH amaze me. he didnt respond and they were pegged back so much. His lauding over stats made me laugh too given he was one strike away from being torn to shreds by CPFC fans for a horror show..
BTW Its amazing to see just how difficult it is to score in attack vs defence games - if anyone has done any coaching it is incredible just how difficult it is even with player over-loads in favour of the attacking team.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Completely agree. Palace didnt line up 4-4-2, but they moved EZE inside more to stop the passes through the lines. They accepted the ball out to the full-backs and, if you watch Townsend, then sprint to stop the pass back in-field. Potter sussed it and changed to decent effect 2nd half. Whether it was predictable I don't know - it was unlikely that we would need 3 defenders , but the turnaround was nothing to do with lack of effort, fannying around or simply poor play from us in the first half, just difficult to play through as was intended.
The switch in formation gave us the desired impetus.. good management. The plaudit for RH amaze me. he didnt respond and they were pegged back so much. His lauding over stats made me laugh too given he was one strike away from being torn to shreds by CPFC fans for a horror show..
BTW Its amazing to see just how difficult it is to score in attack vs defence games - if anyone has done any coaching it is incredible just how difficult it is even with player over-loads in favour of the attacking team.
This.

Dare I say that we learnt from the Sheffield Utd game. We moved the ball much quicker and looked much more likely to break through the low block.

Still didnt though. :(

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Sanchez - 4 Called into action to pick the ball out of the net.

Veltman - 9 MOTM
White - 3 His pathetic error created something out of nothing. Wasting attacks before that.
Dunk - 5 A mixed bag imo. Some suicidal moments near the centre circle, only just recovering.
Burn - 3 Sorry his fan club, I thought he was shite for the opener, he screwed up several forays forward.

Bissouma 6.5. Awful first half, measured second.
Alzate 2 Out muscled, half asleep, a little man out of his depth tonight.
Trossard 5 Not at the races first half, single handedly ruining our attacks. Big improvement after the break.
Mac Allister 7 He was surprised at his substitution, so were we.
Gross 6

Maupay 2 God he was awful at everything.

Welbeck 2
Lallana 2
Jahanbakhsh 2

Think id stick a minus in front of the 2 for Ali J but other than that............:whistle:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

First goal was a combo of Dunk and White, Dunk wandered off into some sort of no mans land between their winger who has an Albion player on him and the goal/ Mateta, Dunk could've cut it out if he ran straight towards goal as he was between Mateta and crosser. White just left the scorer unmarked as he ran in and by the time he was up with him, the very well taken goal was in the net. No fault on Sanchez for that.

Second goal, Burns positioning was rubbish as the ball floated over he ran in a straight line towards Benteke rather than to between Benteke and goal, again good finish if being honest but Sanchez taking the knee rather than diving was disappointing. Looked like he'd switched off as whistle was seconds away.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
First goal was a combo of Dunk and White, Dunk wandered off into some sort of no mans land between their winger who has an Albion player on him and the goal/ Mateta, Dunk could've cut it out if he ran straight towards goal as he was between Mateta and crosser. White just left the scorer unmarked as he ran in and by the time he was up with him, the very well taken goal was in the net. No fault on Sanchez for that.

Second goal, Burns positioning was rubbish as the ball floated over he ran in a straight line towards Benteke rather than to between Benteke and goal, again good finish if being honest but Sanchez taking the knee rather than diving was disappointing. Looked like he'd switched off as whistle was seconds away.

Agree re: Dunk and Burn. I think they both were guilty of thinking they had anticipated Ayews and Bentekes move. Dunk thought Ayew, who was running down the wing, isolated , would cut in, hold the ball and maybe wait for others to join. Consequently Dunk in no-mans land and unable to collect what was a weak cross really. Shades of Andone's goal against Palace.. Similarly I think Burn assumes Benteke will try and flick back to player on the edge f the box.. Riedewald, who Burn will have noticed was unmarked? Makes that half a yard move and the opportunity opens up although he still had lots to do. In both cases, had they played the immediate threat, they would have sorted it, but both occasions they gambled and lost. To be fair, its the gambling/anticipation at the back sometimes that looks so good, especially when you recognise patterns of play. It look horrible though when it goes wrong!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That's one of the widely acknowledged problems goalkeepers face, that a single mistake leads to immediately catastrophic consequences. They have to achieve a higher level of reliability because of their situation.

To flip it around, if you marked every player by the same standard a goalie's held to they'd all get 2 or 3, because every player makes lots of mistakes throughout a match. They're only picked up on if they obviously lead to goals or big chances.

The team last night were fine. Could have been set up better initially. Should have put away at least 1 more chance. Both of Palace's goals were preventable but these things happen. We learnt nothing we didn't already know.

Good points.

Another way of looking at it, a scale ranging from:

0 - Akpom’s couldn’t give a ****, I’m rich prick, performances at The Amex.
10 - Lamptey’s unplayable performance at St.James’s Park. Footballing nectar.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If Jahanbakhsh’s still playing for us next season in the EPL, I’ll eat my hat.

Unless he chooses to do an Ozil, of course. Which he could.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Sanchez - 5 - I can't bring myself to watch the replays but felt he should have done more for their second. Enjoyed his sweeper role though.
Veltman - 8- MOTM. Excellent throughout. Our only attacking outlet in the first half.
White - 5. Tidy passing for the most part. Pretty mediocre performance up until that hoof which was brainless and lead the goal.
Dunk - 7 - Best of the back 3. Did what he does.
Burn - 5 -I thought he looked decent in the second half and put in a few good crosses. No idea what he was doing for their second goal. Seemed to back off as the ball came in. Bizarre.

Bissouma - 6 - Not at his best but kept it ticking over
Alzate - 4 - Not his night. One bright moment when he burst into the box but ultimately came to nothing.
Gross - 5 - Poor set piece delivery. Nice touches and passes but no thrust.
MacAllister - 6 - Thought he looked up for it and was surprised he was brought off.
Trossard - 6 - Underwhelming first half but thought he was much better second.
Maupay - 5 - Similar to above re the first half but didn't offer a focal point in our attack. Better second half but only marginally

Lallana - 5 - Got into some nice positions and fluffed his lines. Should have at least hit the target with his free shot.
Wellbeck - 6- Offered more going forward in the second half. Thought he could have done more (tactical foul) in the build up to their second.
Jahanbaksh - 4 - No idea why he was brought on. Had a shot that went behind and that was the highlight.

Such a frustrating night. We played so well at times so it feels odd giving mediocre ratings but the individual errors and lack of cutting edge cost us. Felt much more like an early season game. A far cry from recent results where we've looked somewhat composed at the back.
I agree with all of that. Surprised, but understand, at others scoring our defence and midfield so low - they must have been doing something right to keep Palace to 2 touches in our box (accepting that Palace were very poor)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here