Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - Albion v CP (22 Feb 21)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good for you.

Right. You don't seek council when you're venting. If you want council, switch off NSC and call a bessie, or the Samaritans. :thumbsup:

That said, I reserve the right to do a sliding (Harry Wilson's) tackle from behind, studs up, on any venter I consider is looking at me in a funny way, like ???

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Partly explained by some really poor first half performances eg Trossard, Bissouma and Gross, who were excellent for 30 minutes in the second.

A genuine question - should player ratings be based on the entire game, or a great spell where we outclassed them? Shirley the entire game.

There are various methodologies.

Some people refuse to dish out a 0 to 3. Someone once told me on here that I had it all wrong, 6 is the minimum. I ignored that.

If a defender’s error or lack of positioning leads to a goal or two that cost us a game, I will mark low. It’s not mitigated imho by some promising forays forward. To me a defender’s number one duty is to defend, attacking is a bonus.

So you are not willing to make marks based on when single good events happened (because shirely its the entire game that counts) but you are willing to make your marks on single bad events that happened (because shirley suddenly its no longer the entire game that counts)?

I really do have to remind myself not to let an insufferable p***k who didn't know who we were 2 years ago ruin the love I have for my club.

Good, you should remind yourself every day about the people and things you love.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What you do (which is how some exams are marked) is start with a 10, then remove points for mistakes, general rubbish play.

I've lost count of the times a goalkeeper is marked 6/7 (nothing to do).

Then what should the goalkeeper then do ?

Have a quiet word with the defender to concede a penalty, so he has the chance to save one and get a 9 ?

It's ridiculous. The only way a goalkeeper gets a good score on here is down to another player invariably making a mistake.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
So you are not willing to make marks based on when single good events happened (because shirely its the entire game that counts) but you are willing to make your marks on single bad events that happened (because shirley suddenly its no longer the entire game that counts)?

Good, you should remind yourself every day about the people and things you love.

True.

Unfortunately your nastiness has infected this board for long enough for me.

So I'll wait until Potter goes and you disappear so that I can come back on here and start enjoying it here again.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sanchez 6: Couldn't do anything about the goals. Had nothing else to do. At all.

White: 5 not his best game

Dunk 6: Not a lot to do. didn't do anything disastrously wrong or superbly right.

Burn 5: He tries.

Veltman 8: Probably our best player over the 90.

Bissouma 5: Gave the ball away cheaply and dangerously a couple of times in the first half. Palace were so defensive that he wasn't really required to do any midfield bossing.

Gross 5: Didn't notice him. not great when the opposition are set up in a way that should allow him to display his technical skills and creativity.

Alzate 5: I don't think he's a wing back. Definitely not a left sided one.

Trossard 7: Mediocre first half but much better in the second half.

Maupay 5: Low on confidence and it showed.

Ally Mac 6: Did ok.

Welbeck 6: We were brighter and more energetic in the second half. don't know how much was down to him...

Lallana 5: spanked two decent chances very high over the bar.

Ali J not on long enough.

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure on these rankings. As a team there's no way we should have lost tonight. I don't think Palace even came for a point let alone the win so it's hard to judge. The first half as a team was played at Palace's tempo: slow. It allowed them to get into and retain their shape so despite all our possession I'm struggling to think of a single note worthy chance we created in the first half. In the second we were much better we upped the tempo and it seemed just a matter of time before we'd score the necessary goals. So based on the second half the ratings should be higher and yet when I think about the individual performances the only two that stood out were Veltman for the whole 90 and Trossard in the second half.

I don't know. Tough game to process. Palace were on the one hand utter dog shite but on the other they did defend well even if their only tactic was 10 men in their box and they scored from their two attacks.

All that is to say I'm not sure if the low ratings are fair or a result of the shock I'm in.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
True.

Unfortunately your nastiness has infected this board for long enough for me.

So I'll wait until Potter goes and you disappear so that I can come back on here and start enjoying it here again.

Once again the main nastiness I'm seeing is from posters insulting [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

He makes no bones about the fact that he supports Graham Potter, not the Albion.
Those of us that support Graham Potter because he is Albion manager have no issues with him.
Those that seem permanently angry at Potter because he is failing to solve every problem that exists in the squad, don't.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Partly explained by some really poor first half performances eg Trossard, Bissouma and Gross, who were excellent for 30 minutes in the second.

A genuine question - should player ratings be based on the entire game, or a great spell where we outclassed them? Shirley the entire game.

I agree it should be on the whole game but if our strikers had scored 3 goals every mark would be 7or above. Even for Sanchez. Some very stroppy marks here based on the score only.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Sanchez - 5 - First goal unlucky. The second - why so flat footed?
Alzate 3 - well out of position so some sympathy comes his way
Burn 4- For the second time recently he gets skinned, doesn’t take a yellow and it leads to a goal.
White 4 - didn’t deliver in the crucial moments. Some strange passes as well.
Dunk 6 - mixed bag tonight
Veltman 9 - I thought he was superb
Gross 5 - game passed him by
Bissouma 5 - his standards have eased down in the past few games. Not that he’s bad, but he’s not as consistently good.
Trossard 5. - terrible first half when we needed to make our domination count. Better after that
Mac 5 - mediocre
Maupay 2 - I like potter but I’m confused and worried that he persists with Maupay. His technique is poor and his confidence is shot.

Subs
Welbeck 5 - he’s not the poacher, we need but still worth a start
Lallana 3 - I really want to like Lallana and you can see he is highly talented. But it’s not amounting to anything and that’s a concern
Aj - why not Connolly ? And a lot earlier

Potter 5. Both us and Palace knew we would dominate possession. They were cool with it because they didn’t think we could break them down. And they fancied themselves against our defence on the break. They were right.
Even so, to concede like that. Last minute. To Of all people, Benteke.
It was comedy at its darkest.
A true footballing nightmare.
You have to laugh.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
6 - average

Sanchez - 6 nothing to do
White - 5 - bad error
Dunk - 7
Burn - 5 - culpable on both goals, but some positive bits
Veltman - 8 - MoM by a mile
Bissouma - 6
Gross - 6
Alzate - 5
Trossard - 6
Maupay - 5
MacAllister - 6

Welbeck - 5
Lallana - 5 - poor finishing
AJ - n/a

Potter - 5 - don’t get the final sub

Ref - 7 - good game for that moron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Sanchez 6: Couldn't do anything about the goals. Had nothing else to do. At all.

White: 5 not his best game

Dunk 6: Not a lot to do. didn't do anything disastrously wrong or superbly right.

Burn 5: He tries.

Veltman 8: Probably our best player over the 90.

Bissouma 5: Gave the ball away cheaply and dangerously a couple of times in the first half. Palace were so defensive that he wasn't really required to do any midfield bossing.

Gross 5: Didn't notice him. not great when the opposition are set up in a way that should allow him to display his technical skills and creativity.

Alzate 5: I don't think he's a wing back. Definitely not a left sided one.

Trossard 7: Mediocre first half but much better in the second half.

Maupay 5: Low on confidence and it showed.

Ally Mac 6: Did ok.

Welbeck 6: We were brighter and more energetic in the second half. don't know how much was down to him...

Lallana 5: spanked two decent chances very high over the bar.

Ali J not on long enough.

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure on these rankings. As a team there's no way we should have lost tonight. I don't think Palace even came for a point let alone the win so it's hard to judge. The first half as a team was played at Palace's tempo: slow. It allowed them to get into and retain their shape so despite all our possession I'm struggling to think of a single note worthy chance we created in the first half. In the second we were much better we upped the tempo and it seemed just a matter of time before we'd score the necessary goals. So based on the second half the ratings should be higher and yet when I think about the individual performances the only two that stood out were Veltman for the whole 90 and Trossard in the second half.

I don't know. Tough game to process. Palace were on the one hand utter dog shite but on the other they did defend well even if their only tactic was 10 men in their box and they scored from their two attacks.

All that is to say I'm not sure if the low ratings are fair or a result of the shock I'm in.

Pretty much agree with the ratings and comments but would be very harsh on Potter tonight.

The fact that we could step it up so much in the second half begs the question as to what he said before the match that resulted in such a poor first half?

Was it to send CP to sleep with our lethargic sideways passing in our half!? Possession isn’t everything as our results over the past year prove and the only way you break down a team that parks the bus is with some speed and imagination to do the unexpected.

Substitution with Ali J was totally inexplicable too......

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Some of marks and comments about Burn take me back to CMS days. Beyond criticism because he works hard and runs around a lot.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Pretty much agree with the ratings and comments but would be very harsh on Potter tonight.

The fact that we could step it up so much in the second half begs the question as to what he said before the match that resulted in such a poor first half?

Was it to send CP to sleep with our lethargic sideways passing in our half!? Possession isn’t everything as our results over the past year prove and the only way you break down a team that parks the bus is with some speed and imagination to do the unexpected.

Substitution with Ali J was totally inexplicable too......

It was most likely nothing he said that caused the poor (or below average) first half. It was more about the setup, so I would say it was a tactical mistake (or less than optimal decision) from Potter. It might have looked "lazy" or "not passionate" but the reason it looked that way was because the spaces where Brighton wanted to play were shut off by Hodgsons setup. White, Dunk and Burn were not "fannying" around at the back because they werent disinterested in doing otherwise, but because Hodgson put players front and behind of the AMC:s, sort of a double man-mark. In second half with Welbeck coming on and drawing extra attention, other players got more space. The reason for the poor first half, according to me, was that GP should have started two strikers from the get go in order to create more space centrally. Instead the team had to rely on the wings and with no natural wing back on the left, Veltman was the only real option/threat.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Rob Sanchez 7 - Did what he had to do well, contributing in the build up. Couldn't be faulted for either goal

Joel Veltman 9 - Our best player. Assured in possession, rarely wastes a ball, good game management. I felt he would have cleaned out Townsend at the end had he not already taken a booking for the team.

Ben White 7 - Bar the aberration of his hoof toward the end, was assured and never looked in trouble.
Lewis Dunk 7 - Solid, dependable, classic Dunk.
Dan Burn 6.5 - He's an able understudy for Webster but you could see what was missing from him as a centre half. Simply doesn't have the ball carrying ability. Better when switched out wide and further forward.
Steven Alzate 6 - Not dangerous enough in the final third or solid enough defensively to work in the role being asked. We miss March.

Yves Bissouma 6 - Tidy but seems to have lost some of his swagger.
Pascal Gross 8 - Uses the ball well and I felt was missed when he went off.

Alexis Macallister 6 - Not his best game but found space well and makes good decisions. Unlucky with heavy pass which could have killed off Palace early. I like that he shoots
Leandro Trossard 6 - Worked hard but a few poor decisions. Feels like he has the most opportunities per game of all our players often fails to take them.

Neal Maupay 6.5 - Great work for the team but poor technique cost us on a few occasions.

Adam Lallana 5.5 - two good chances not taken and didn't have the influence we might have expected.
Danny Welbeck 7 - Showed glimpses of what we are missing. Aggressive, pacey and good link up play. We need him back and firing.
Ali J 5 - Frustratingly poor technique and I felt made us lose a bit of spark and guile.

Potter 7.5 - Individual mistakes and game management from the players cost us again. Switched from a 5 to a 4 and we battered them. Bringing Wellbeck on + Lallana +/- AliJ -

I'm thinking that I need to adjust the way I score the defenders from now on. I need to score them as if they were midfielders in an attacking sense. i.e. Are they decisive, moving the ball quickly, breaking the lines etc. It's too easy to get an 8 by making no mistakes and keeping it simple.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] still has not deleted my account and all my posts I will say this: These ratings show just how much of a toxic environment this place is. We DOMINATED a game and still people want to abuse each other and give 1s and ZEROS out for player ratings. Come on, really. You can have different opinions, yes, but these are just abuse for abuse sake, not one player was worthy of a ONE, not a single one.
The mods really need to sort this shit out on top of all the racism and sexism you find on here.

Genuine question, if the site, it's content and the contributors offend you so much why come on? It's not a criticism of you coming on, there may be very good reason, I just wouldn't.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Once again the main nastiness I'm seeing is from posters insulting [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION].

He makes no bones about the fact that he supports Graham Potter, not the Albion.
Those of us that support Graham Potter because he is Albion manager have no issues with him.
Those that seem permanently angry at Potter because he is failing to solve every problem that exists in the squad, don't.

Agreed. I don't agree with everything he says, we have different opinions on Maupay for example at the moment, but overall Swansman adds more educated opinion about football than most on here.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Tough crowd. We just lost a game we should have won but you are scoring our players with 2 or 3. So OK are you going to score the Palace players with 8 or 9?

Agreed. If we had scored a second and won 2-1 there would have been few if any 4s and 5s. We didn't play THAT badly. We need a striker (there's a surprise!) who can score goals. Could it be Andone for this season when he's fit? We played some amazing football last night. I was as pissed off as anyone after they scored their second, but we've got a lot of excellent players. On the negative side, AJ coming on was the worst substitution I can remember.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's laughable how biased you are.

You know criticism of Burn inevitably leads to criticism of Potter so you desperately try and shift the blame to other players.

Just be honest, Burn was our worst player tonight and the most at fault for our defeat and move on.

It’s a matter of opinion though and [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] has the right to his. There is no right or wrong with a player like Burn. He is doing the job asked of him by the manager. He disrupts going forward and is more creative than given credit for. That cross was exquisite. I have made the point elsewhere that he was responsible for both goals but, on reflection, he was not solely responsible. Dunk’s positioning for the first was poor and the second was a catalogue of errors, beginning with Welbeck. Burn is covering for Webster so probably shouldn’t be judged in any other terms.

Finally (and this is not especially aimed at you), let’s keep it civil.

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
It was most likely nothing he said that caused the poor (or below average) first half. It was more about the setup, so I would say it was a tactical mistake (or less than optimal decision) from Potter. It might have looked "lazy" or "not passionate" but the reason it looked that way was because the spaces where Brighton wanted to play were shut off by Hodgsons setup. White, Dunk and Burn were not "fannying" around at the back because they werent disinterested in doing otherwise, but because Hodgson put players front and behind of the AMC:s, sort of a double man-mark. In second half with Welbeck coming on and drawing extra attention, other players got more space. The reason for the poor first half, according to me, was that GP should have started two strikers from the get go in order to create more space centrally. Instead the team had to rely on the wings and with no natural wing back on the left, Veltman was the only real option/threat.

I half agree with you but Hodgson’s set up and game plan was eminently predictable and I felt throughout the first half that Potter’s instructions before the game must have been to not lose the ball at all costs rather than try and be more positive and quicker.

Welbeck’s introduction helped but don’t think it explains why the whole team seemed energised in the second half? Suggests Potter should have introduced him much earlier if he really was the reason for the transformation.

Either way, it suggests Potter was at fault for his poor game management and the lack of a Plan B is really bugging me!

I’m not a Potter Out man and love the football we play up to the final third but the lack of results over the last year is driving me nuts as with other fans.

On a separate note, I find it a bit ironic that so many fans are castigating Palace tonight as an anti-football team.

They can and do play some decent football at times when on song and last night’s backs to the wall performance was worthy of Hughton for most of our tenure in the PL. We were terrible a lot of the time, particularly away!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here