Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player of the season

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
You gotta add Webster to that list, could have been be pos the way he has performed but for such competition.

He was on form, like March and Lamptey, before breaking. Now he need to regain it.

Injuries are part of the game and part of the reason teams succeed or fail . .Look at Wolves/Liverpool and without sockboy, VIlla,

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Biss or Dunk

Bissouma or Dunk. If Lewis sees out his career with us he will need a statue outside the AMEX,.

Dunk for me - consistent throughout, exceptional at times, rarely at fault or below par.

Dunk for me.

Dunk = POTS

Dunk again

Dunk
Biss
White

Bissouma or Dunk.

Lewis Dunk is the main reason we are able to have another year in the Premier League.

Dunky has got better and better every year, he is clearly our best player. Just imagine if he hadn't been on the line at the end of the Fulham game. What a different season this could have been.

Anyone still believe that Dunk should be our player or the season?

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
For me it’s Veltman. Dunk and Bissouma have been immense but have played in their preferred position all season. Veltman has been played left centre back, right centre back, right back and prominently at right wing back where against all expectations he has mitigated the loss of Lamptey who looked a shoe in for player of the year at the start of the season.

So big Joel the man for me.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yep. One mistake shouldn’t define his season.

Of course one mistake shouldn’t define a season but this was probably Dunk’s sixth.

Whilst the mistakes were mostly in the first half of the season, there seemed to be a collective blind spot from fans over our greatest Premier League player’s poor form at the beginning of the season.

Here is an example of the type of thing that he was doing. On 0:38, he leaves his position to get close to Gündoğan who does not receive the ball, instead he creates the perfect pocket of space for Foden to run into and score. A small mistake which cost us a point, similar to those mistakes against Chelsea, Man Utd, West Ham and Wolves (in both games).

https://youtu.be/04fnbyAoh5Y

Dunk can not be POTS in potentially his worst Premier League season for us because of who he is. We can’t reward him for not being consistent throughout the season, not when he has been better in previous seasons and Biss has been a revelation.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Of course one mistake shouldn’t define a season but this was probably Dunk’s sixth.

Whilst the mistakes were mostly in the first half of the season, there seemed to be a collective blind spot from fans over our greatest Premier League player’s poor form at the beginning of the season.

Here is an example of the type of thing that he was doing. On 0:38, he leaves his position to get close to Gündoğan who does not receive the ball, instead he creates the perfect pocket of space for Foden to run into and score. A small mistake which cost us a point, similar to those mistakes against Chelsea, Man Utd, West Ham and Wolves (in both games).

Dunk can not be POTS in potentially his worst Premier League season for us because of who he is. We can’t reward him for not being consistent throughout the season, not when he has been better in previous seasons and Biss has been a revelation.

Whilst I agree that Dunk hasn’t had a consistent season, especially in the first half of the season when I was calling for him to be dropped FWIW, it’s worth remembering that Biss (who I also tip for PotS) hasn’t always been bossing the midfield. He has had plenty of games where he has faded in and out. Biss has been more consistent than Dunk I’ll grant you, and I certainly think he’ll deservedly be awarded PotS, but I don’t think he’s been pulling out top drawer performances every week, which is understandable.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
For me it’s Veltman. Dunk and Bissouma have been immense but have played in their preferred position all season. Veltman has been played left centre back, right centre back, right back and prominently at right wing back where against all expectations he has mitigated the loss of Lamptey who looked a shoe in for player of the year at the start of the season.

So big Joel the man for me.

Yep.
A big miss yesterday.
We have a team full of potential, with far too few real grownups

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
We've got several players who had a good season Veltman, Dunk, Webster, Gross, March but for me it's a dead heat between Sanchez and Bissouma.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Six mistakes in 35 games.

I'll take that.

Dunky has been brilliant this season, so take your "we can't reward him" nonsense and do one.

I'm voting Bissouma but Dunky will certainly been in the reckoning. And quite rightly

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Six mistakes in 35 games.

I'll take that.

Dunky has been brilliant this season, so take your "we can't reward him" nonsense and do one.

I'm voting Bissouma but Dunky will certainly been in the reckoning. And quite rightly

Do one? [emoji1787]

By voting Bissouma you’re agreeing with my point. Thanks for the vote[emoji106]

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Anyone still believe that Dunk should be our player or the season?

Yep, I'll stand by it.

Hard to solely blame our capitulation yesterday on his one action. If anything it showed how vital he is to everything we do. With him getting sent off we lost 2-1, without him for 90 we lose 2-0.

Genuine madness that you would base a Player of the Season choice on a single, understandable (though silly in hindsight as we lost), foul made to keep us in the lead in a game that had we won, would have secured our safety. If you're (rightfully) angry about yesterday I think you should look at the bigger picture rather than just the sending off. We were 1-0 up for 76 mins and did some pretty amateurish things from that point on both individually and tactically. We have much bigger issues than a single sending off. Our game management is abysmal. We've gained 4 points this season after falling behind and a league worst of 23 points dropped from a winning position. We should've found a way to get something from that game yesterday.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yep, I'll stand by it.

Hard to solely blame our capitulation yesterday on his one action. If anything it showed how vital he is to everything we do. With him getting sent off we lost 2-1, without him for 90 we lose 2-0.

Genuine madness that you would base a Player of the Season choice on a single, understandable (though silly in hindsight as we lost), foul made to keep us in the lead in a game that had we won, would have secured our safety. If you're (rightfully) angry about yesterday I think you should look at the bigger picture rather than just the sending off. We were 1-0 up for 76 mins and did some pretty amateurish things from that point on both individually and tactically. We have much bigger issues than a single sending off. Our game management is abysmal. We've gained 4 points this season after falling behind and a league worst of 23 points dropped from a winning position. We should've found a way to get something from that game yesterday.

The other point i'd make about Dunky, is that our entire squad has been below par in front of goal. Some a bit below par, other miles below par ....... except Dunky. Yes he did miss one or two bad ones earlier in the season, but has more than made up for it with a series of towering headers.

Some brilliant finishing from dead balls is another example of how he's led the squad through this season. A genuine POTS contender and I agree with you, the sending off yesterday doesn't change that. He has loads in the bank.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here