Player hunt on hold

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
paddy said:
Great point, most other managers are always being recognised for their qualities as a man-manager or coaching abilities yrt MM never gets any of that. If we fired him today would MM get another job in League 1 - no way, there are far better managers than him out there.

And why do you believe Simpson over McGhee. He may still be bitter over McGhee not playing him and want to attack him.

But of course everybody who attacks McGhee must be rational and all who defend him are misinformed.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Trigger said:
Lets sack him and see... ??? :glare: :lolol:

You do remember that it was announced that Mark McGhee is being kept on. So why bother attacking him when we have not played a game since that announcement. If we have a bad start then after 10 games it would be time to start questioning him but why not support him for now?

Do you want us to have a poor start to the season so you are proved right or would you rather we actually had a good start?

Repugnant Toad said:
I would imagine Paul Simpson's quotes are fairly indicative of McGhee's standing in the game. He's hardly well thought-of amongst fans either. A fairly unremarkable piece of gratitude from Robbie Keane aside, I can't recall anyone having anything particularly positive to say about him.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=79517&highlight=paul+simpson

One player from many years ago deemed surplus to requirements by McGhee is your evidence that the entire world of football dislikes McGhee?

That's pretty thin stuff even for spectacularly low standards, evidence-wise, of the McGhee haters, don't you think?

Now, how many times in the world of football do you hear players who've been shown the door by managers griping about said managers - it's utterly routine and commonplace, isn't it?

But I'm glad you mentioned the Keane thing - because how many times do you hear a player who has reached a career milestone actually going out of there way to dedicate that not merely to a manager, but to a manager who was in charge of them many years beforehand?

Far from being "unremarkable", I'd love it if you can even think of another example, it's pretty unique.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
I never said McGhee was great. You just assumed I did.

Regarding Coppell, Adams and McGhee, you are not comparing like with like.

As I said, it was far easer for Micky to attract players to what was considered a club on the up, with a new (albeit temporary) stadiu, which was not the worst in that division. Adams spent around £250,000 on players and did very well to get out of that division. The core of that playing squad did the same the following season, but went down the season after that. And he bought some shocking donkeys. So Adams' transfers are only to be judged favourably for the bottom divisions.

Coppell made some good signings, and some ropey ones, and when in a position to keep us up, he failed. That's harsh, bearing in mind the handicap he was given to start with, but it was still within him to do it.

Though I haven't checked every single fact, I would suspect that with each manager, each good signing was equally matched by a poor one. Many people choose to interpret the quality of those signings to suit a pre-judged argument over each manager.

So, in direct answer to your question - no, in comparative terms, McGhee has done no better or worse than Coppell or Adams, given the situations each has had to work in.

Just can't agree with that... admittedly, it is an opinion but, on balance, both MA and SC have made far better signings than MM...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
One player from many years ago deemed surplus to requirements by McGhee is your evidence that the entire world of football dislikes McGhee?

That's pretty thin stuff even for spectacularly low standards, evidence-wise, of the McGhee haters, don't you think?

Now, how many times in the world of football do you hear players who've been shown the door by managers griping about said managers - it's utterly routine and commonplace, isn't it?

But I'm glad you mentioned the Keane thing - because how many times do you hear a player who has reached a career milestone actually going out of there way to dedicate that not merely to a manager, but to a manager who was in charge of them many years beforehand?

Far from being "unremarkable", I'd love it if you can even think of another example, it's pretty unique.

Jamie Lawrence said MM treated people like shit but I see your point. These incidents are often from the past and lets be honest none of our current players have come out and actually said MM has treated them like shit, just that they have had disagreements.

Southover Street Seagull said:
I also backed down about saying it was a fact that players don't come here because of McGhee. I then said in my opinion.

Fair enough, but even for an opinion, you need some small amount of evidence to back it up. What credible source has suggested that we are missing out on players because of McGhee's alleged reputation? Just name anyone who has suggested or even hinted at such a thing, then we can have a meaningful discussion about whether it's true or not. I think you will struggle, to be honest, to find such a source.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Les Biehn said:
Jamie Lawrence said MM treated people like shit but I see your point. These incidents are often from the past and lets be honest none of our current players have come out and actually said MM has treated them like shit, just that they have had disagreements.

Not going to either, players are not stupid.
Mm had a short fuse it would seem - would you risk rotting in the stiffs?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
f***ing hell, you're getting worse. Blinkered is one thing I am not. How can you accuse me of being blinkered when one of your main points on this thread is 'McGhee is the reason why players don't come here'? Talk about a ill-thought out summation.

I never see the argument as black and white as 'McGhee in' or 'McGhee out'. I consider the options, come to a conclusion and justify taking into account as many variables as I can see open. If, after consdiering everything, I know for a fact that McGhee is the reason players don't come here, then I will agree with your assertion.

Until then, you need to consider your words very carefully before slap-dashedly banding them about. It makes for a poor quality of debate otherwise.

Look, you have your view, I have mine... MA and SC had the same ground and facilities as MM (in fact, they had worse) but, in my opinion, bought in beteer players and were more successful... you seem incapable of accepting this... blinkered in my view...

If you don't like the term blinkered, how about intransigent...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Sorry can we stop demanding sources on here, this is a message forum not a newspaper, it is for fans to debate. I don't want people to lie and if you have hard evidence great, but sometimes a hunch or well judged opinion is all people have, as long as they don't try to portray it as fact I'm not bothered.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Not going to either, players are not stupid.
Mm had a short fuse it would seem - would you risk rotting in the stiffs?

But if he is treating you like shit surely you are already rotting in the stiffs?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
Fair enough, but even for an opinion, you need some small amount of evidence to back it up. What credible source has suggested that we are missing out on players because of McGhee's alleged reputation? Just name anyone who has suggested or even hinted at such a thing, then we can have a meaningful discussion about whether it's true or not. I think you will struggle, to be honest, to find such a source.

Could you not point to the amount of strikers that turned the club down last year could be some evidence?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
I agree, but he dicked us about pre-season, so he didn't come in till later.

Or DK dicked him about... we don't know which... my guess is we went for the cheap option (as usual) and the decision backfired bigtime...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Turkey said:
I'm not overly concerned about the lack of signings.

We've got plenty of trialists down here and the squad is okay as it is.

Granted we could do with a few additions but we're not in crisis.

The left back looks decent and hopefully if we sign him that'll improve us.

I'm not convinced Brittain will get offered anything in the Championship and reckon we still have a chance of getting him in. Even if we don't Harty and Reid are decent enough.

Up front. Revell, CKR, Jake, Gatting. It's okay. It would be nice to get a proven striker in but I don't think we're desperate and we shouldn't sign someone for the sake of it. If we can get someone to improve the squad, we will. So enjoy the sun and have a cold beer. :drink:

... smacks of complacency... as does the club's transfer dealings... this is why we are in the div we are in now... and will suffer the revenue loss from our relegation...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Not if you are going to make a difference in the first team.

But then surely he isn't treating you that badly if he is playing you? All the players with grudges all said they were excluded from the first team.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Les Biehn said:
But then surely he isn't treating you that badly if he is playing you? All the players with grudges all said they were excluded from the first team.

Mark Mccammon said he didnt get on with him and was still playing.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Icy Gull said:
You seem to have forgotten that we lost Cullip, Virgo, Currie and Harding so he may have had more resources than any other manager, but no other manager had the heart ripped out of the team whilst in the Championship and then got all the blame because we went down.

Just maybe McGhee thinks that there is enough about the team at this level not to panic buy?

Why do you say panic buy?... we should have known our targets before the summer break, and we are now within 3 weeks of the new season, with one Braintree striker signed...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
B.W. said:
Why do you say panic buy?... we should have known our targets before the summer break, and we are now within 3 weeks of the new season, with one Braintree striker signed...

I concur - but to be fair maybe they were.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
London Irish said:
This post is utterly incredible.

If you've supported the club since the 1970s, didn't you notice all the way that the Albion's ability to sign players of a certain standard was always dependent of its financial spending power in the transfer market?

It's people like you who believe we can just float free from our currently awful financial circumstances that are just living in a world of wishful thinking - and then you have the cheek to get angry with people who try to remind you of a few financial realities!

If you think we are one of the biggest clubs in League 1, name your criteria for that statement because I just don't see the evidence for that claim.

An average crowd in this league but the highest prices in the league...

I already humbly apologised to TLO for losing it... you chose to ignore that and, as usuall, deliver your opinions as facts...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
Mark Mccammon said he didnt get on with him and was still playing.

Exactly, he didn't say he was being treated badly, just that they weren't getting on. You can't tell me every manager gets on with their players, but the fact that MM still played him goes someway to proving if he thinks you are needed he will use you, grudge or no grudge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports