Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player hunt on hold

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If you were a professional football living up North, or in the Midlands ( or abroad for that matter),

You come to Brighton , you have a look at the stadium ( Looks a bit meccano - jerry built) and then you think...welll maybe...looks ok...tell you what I will look for a house to house my family.....basic family 3 bed house 250-300k.....

So basically I am coming to a club with a crap stadium, keep hearing stuff about going under if we dont get a decision that has taken 5 years and faces horrendous opposition, cant afford to live here, oh and of course this team are in the 3rd division.

Not much of a choice is it?

Dies Irae said:
If you were a professional football living up North, or in the Midlands ( or abroad for that matter),

You come to Brighton , you have a look at the stadium ( Looks a bit meccano - jerry built) and then you think...welll maybe...looks ok...tell you what I will look for a house to house my family.....basic family 3 bed house 250-300k.....

So basically I am coming to a club with a crap stadium, keep hearing stuff about going under if we dont get a decision that has taken 5 years and faces horrendous opposition, cant afford to live here, oh and of course this team are in the 3rd division.

A professional footballer not being able to afford to buy a 250-300k house you are winding us up aren't you? It also depends if the said player would buy a house. He may be single and want a flat. You also forget to mention that Brighton is a vibrant and interesting place to live, that may have an advantage on some places in the North and Midlands.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Dies Irae said:

Nail, head, on, hit. As far as Brighton's night life is concerened anybody with a family wouldn't be very interested and even single blokes know that tehy'd get pestered by fans when they go out.

bhaexpress said:
Nail, head, on, hit. As far as Brighton's night life is concerened anybody with a family wouldn't be very interested and even single blokes know that tehy'd get pestered by fans when they go out.

I didn't mention night life did I? I said Brighton is a vibrant and interesting place to live. Please don't think that even on 3rd division wages a footballer couldn't afford to live down here.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Southover Street Seagull said:
I didn't mention night life did I? I said Brighton is a vibrant and interesting place to live. Please don't think that even on 3rd division wages a footballer couldn't afford to live down here.

You have a strange idea of how much footballers earn, this isn't the Premiership. Not easy to get a mortgage given their career limitations.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I guy I played cricket with's brother played for Ipswich and when he was on trial down here, that was one of the main factors he chose for not coming down here ( and that was a few years ago now).

Rememebr Bamber built the Chartfield Estate by Hove Park because people were not attracted to move here because of the high prices of housing and that was in the 70's.

Dies Irae said:

I agree with you on the state of Withdean and the fact we are nowhere near getting Falmer sorted at the moment.
But I still don't beleive even on 3rd division wages a player cannot afford to live down here.

Dies Irae said:
I guy I played cricket with's brother played for Ipswich and when he was on trial down here, that was one of the main factors he chose for not coming down here ( and that was a few years ago now).

Rememebr Bamber built the Chartfield Estate by Hove Park because people were not attracted to move here because of the high prices of housing and that was in the 70's.

The trouble is we don't really know what the average wage is at the Albion at this moment in time. Or could someone on here tell us what some of the players get? But from things that I have heard of in the past the players could afford to live down here.
Was the Ipswich player having to take a cut in wages then?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The trouble is we don't really know what the average wage is at the Albion at this moment in time. Or could someone on here tell us what some of the players get? But from things that I have heard of in the past the players could afford to live down here.
Was the Ipswich player having to take a cut in wages then?

If he was on trial here anytime in the last twenty years there's a very good chance that he was out of contract. Added to which Ipswich is very much cheaper than Brighton.

bhaexpress said:
If he was on trial here anytime in the last twenty years there's a very good chance that he was out of contract. Added to which Ipswich is very much cheaper than Brighton.

I agree Ipswich is probably a cheaper place to live. I would also say over the last twenty years that for the majority of the time Ipswich have been in higher divisions than us. So probably their players would have been on better wages than ours?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here