Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player hunt on hold

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Uncle Buck said:
I see the excuses are already being tweaked for the new season. It will all be OK after Christmas....
'Performances, not points' before Christmas, remember that.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
I see the excuses are already being tweaked for the new season. It will all be OK after Christmas....

It will be ok long before Christmas, which will probably spoil yours.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Icy Gull said:
It will be ok long before Christmas, which will probably spoil yours.

Why? Is McGhee going to go before Christmas....

Like anyone I want to see a succesful Albion side, it is just to have this a change needs to be made with regards to the manager. Last season we got relegated which is a bad thing at the best of times (although not sure with some Albion fans), however my gripe is that we went down with no fight and the manager is there to train the team, pick the team and motivate the team and some of that was missing.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
Why? Is McGhee going to go before Christmas....

Like anyone I want to see a succesful Albion side, it is just to have this a change needs to be made with regards to the manager. Last season we got relegated which is a bad thing at the best of times (although not sure with some Albion fans), however my gripe is that we went down with no fight and the manager is there to train the team, pick the team and motivate the team and some of that was missing.

IMO he has earned the right over the last 3 seasons to be given a chance this season to rectify last. If we perform as we did last season I will also be calling for his head but will he be accepted as adequate by those that want him out now, if he does have us playing decent football and top half of the table??? We cannot expect better than that, although a promotion season would be great it is unrealistic to demand it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Turkey said:
One of the strikers has to start banging them in but I think both CKR and Jake are capable of that at this level

I can't imagine why ... there certainly hasn't been a scrap of evidence in the latter case; he's flattered to deceive in almost every game he's played. As for CKR, he'll get you a handful of spectacular strikes a season, but a consistent goalscorer? I just don't see it.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
What source can you quote that will back up your claim of McGhee's "bad reputation" throughout the world of football?

I would imagine Paul Simpson's quotes are fairly indicative of McGhee's standing in the game. He's hardly well thought-of amongst fans either. A fairly unremarkable piece of gratitude from Robbie Keane aside, I can't recall anyone having anything particularly positive to say about him.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=79517&highlight=paul+simpson

Last edited:

London Irish said:
And Mark McGhee DID keep us up, were you on the moon in 2004-5?

Repeating that lie over and over again doesn't make it any less of a total lie.

If you look at my other posts on this thread I did say that McGhee kept us up so no I wasn't on the moon.

I also backed down about saying it was a fact that players don't come here because of McGhee. I then said in my opinion.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Repugnant Toad said:
I can't imagine why ... there certainly hasn't been a scrap of evidence in the latter case; he's flattered to deceive in almost every game he's played. As for CKR, he'll get you a handful of spectacular strikes a season, but a consistent goalscorer? I just don't see it.

I think they'll both be better in a lower division.

London Irish said:
Not sure about McShane! :lolol: Yeah, he was only the bloody player of the season!

If you had looked three posts down from the post that you quote from you would have seen I take back my foolish comment on McShane.

London Irish said:
So we have the fifth-best ground in League 1 then? That wonderful athletics track of ours?

Really makes you wonder why we make such a fuss about getting Falmer, don't it? :dunce:

I forgot to add Bradford City. I didn't say we had the fifth best ground in the league either did I? I was talking about facilities in general. What I did say was "all the other clubs don't have that much better facilties than we do. "
I can't wait to get Falmer as I know we need it urgently to fufil out massive potential.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
London Irish said:
Why are Brentford in a worse position than us? Other than the fact that they can't find a manager to take them up through the play-offs but we did?

Brentford are in a much worse financial state than we are.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Repugnant Toad said:
I would imagine Paul Simpson's quotes are fairly indicative of McGhee's standing in the game. He's hardly well thought-of amongst fans either. A fairly unremarkable piece of gratitude from Robbie Keane aside, I can't recall anyone having anything particularly positive to say about him.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=79517&highlight=paul+simpson

Great point, most other managers are always being recognised for their qualities as a man-manager or coaching abilities yrt MM never gets any of that. If we fired him today would MM get another job in League 1 - no way, there are far better managers than him out there.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
paddy said:
Great point, most other managers are always being recognised for their qualities as a man-manager or coaching abilities yrt MM never gets any of that. If we fired him today would MM get another job in League 1 - no way, there are far better managers than him out there.

He would blatantly get another League 1 job! Three promotions from this division! Plenty of higher league experience. If you're looking for someone to take you up, he has a pretty good track record!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Turkey said:
He would blatantly get another League 1 job! Three promotions from this division! Plenty of higher league experience. If you're looking for someone to take you up, he has a pretty good track record!

I dont think he would straight away.
His track record last yer and fall out with players in well knownnow.
This isnt the first club its happened at now.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Kinky Gerbils said:
I dont think he would straight away.
His track record last yer and fall out with players in well knownnow.
This isnt the first club its happened at now.
Lets sack him and see... ??? :glare: :lolol:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Icy Gull said:
Adams also had the momentum of coming back to Brighton and the "inevitable" stadium within 2 years. That was the way the club was sold back then and it worked, unfortunately after 8 years and LDC the inevitability of a new stadium does not stand up. In fact it is probably more of a hindrance than a help these days as the end looks no closer than it was when we moved into Withdean, full of hope. We are also in much bigger debt than we were. The only good thing is that despite all the shit of the last few seasons, we are still in the same division as we were when Adams dropped us like a hot potato, is that worth nothing then???

It is clear to me why MM has more trouble enticing players here, we are a division above where we were when MA rebuilt his team, we have bigger debts and we have sold all our best players and have only used a fraction of the money received to re-invest. MA was given the 2nd biggest budget in Div 4, didn't have to sell at any stage, and did very well with it. I have no doubts MM would do similarly well if he had the 2nd biggest budget in this division this year.

That is a fine post post Icy, raising what I feel is one of the most pertinent points which is the knock on effect of the Falmer saga trundling along for a long as it has, there just seems no end in sight to entice potential players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here