Player hunt on hold

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Kinky Gerbils said:
The one that gets my goat is Nicolas -He went backwards as a player so much i think he turned inside out.

I must admit that more than anything really got to me and did make me think would we be better off without MM.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Southover Street Seagull said:
Part of attracting players as a manager is your reputation for coaching and getting the best out of players. Dario Gradi has an excellent reputation for that.

I do agree, but its not like Crewe are attracting top names is it?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
The one that gets my goat is Nicolas -He went backwards as a player so much i think he turned inside out.
And Knight, Carole. CKR, Frutos and Jarrett also haven't/didn't progress.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Silent Bob said:
Dodd came here because he didn't want to move from Southampton, Cardiff and Plymouth were the other clubs in for him. CKR wanted to return south, Wigan, Leicester, or Stoke were not really going to offer him the chance to do that (or first team football), Carole, Frutos, it hardly takes a managerial genius to pay some agent to find you some players does it? And since Dick Knight was seemingly responsible for the Chaigneau transfer I wouldn't be surprised if the other two were the same. :shrug:

Sopt on, our geographical location is sometimes an advantage. Dick Knight had a major part to play in Reid's transfer.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Dodd came here because he didn't want to move from Southampton, Cardiff and Plymouth were the other clubs in for him. CKR wanted to return south, Wigan, Leicester, or Stoke were not really going to offer him the chance to do that (or first team football), Carole, Frutos, it hardly takes a managerial genius to pay some agent to find you some players does it? And since Dick Knight was seemingly responsible for the Chaigneau transfer I wouldn't be surprised if the other two were the same. :shrug:

So basically you are looking for any excuse to say that these transfers were no way influenced or affected by the manager. Fair enough but I just don't buy it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
paddy said:
Sopt on, our geographical location is sometimes an advantage. Dick Knight had a major part to play in Reid's transfer.

We never promote that.

Brighton is a great place to live

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
I'll ask them tonight.

... and do you think they would be honest about their CURRENT MANAGER?... or would they keep quiet?...

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Silent Bob said:
And Knight, Carole. CKR, Frutos and Jarrett also haven't/didn't progress.

Exactly, and potentiaal transfer targets will look at this and think that joining Brighton is more likely to be a step back than a step forward. McGhee is holding us back.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Les Biehn said:
So basically you are looking for any excuse to say that these transfers were no way influenced or affected by the manager. Fair enough but I just don't buy it.
Are you denying any of those are true? ???

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Les Biehn said:

It could add up to that tho you must agree.

El Turi deal was done by Knight and if they id have the same agent who is to say he didnt complete the signing of Carole and Fruity - who the dury is still out on the one who decided to stay and not jump ship for nothing after a year of wages and signing on fee.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Les Biehn said:

He didn't say that they wern't influenced by the manager, just that many of the transfer deals people give him credit for and use in arguments were not entirely due to him - a point i have made before.

Les Biehn said:
I do agree, but its not like Crewe are attracting top names is it?

Top name players are not always top names. They start as unknowns but still have the raw talent. This just needs coaching to improve on it. Crewe attract a lot of talented young players beacuse of their reputation for improving young talent.
Mr Zamora wasn't a top name before he cam to us was he?!!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
B.W. said:
... and do you think they would be honest about their CURRENT MANAGER?... or would they keep quiet?...

The sponsors thing a couple of years ago a couple of players where asked who there fav manager was and they both said Coppell not even a mention of Mcghee.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My opinion on him here is that, given his track record, he (fairly obvously) is under-achieving here.

In mitigation, he hasn't had to manage a club like this before, and he is struggling. Last season petered out into something quite horrific, and we were all pissed off. The fact that the Stoke was such an abomination has stuck around like a stain. We didn't even have the chance to remedy it with there being another game last season, so summer has given us very few grounds for optimism.

However, given the current administration's track record on loyalty, some (rightly or wrongly) believe he should be given the chance to redeem himself, something both he and the club, believe it or not, are busting their nuts to do.

The level of what constitures redemption for many on here is varied. Some insist on automatic promotion (highly ambitious), play-offs (possible), or top half of the table (really should be). I believe he can do well for us this season, but if he can't, then as you feel, he ought to be shown the door. But this is working on the assumption that he alone is the reason for it.

Can Dean Wilkins do better? Set-pieces aside, no-one knows.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Les Biehn said:
Hang on a minute, we are talking about transfers here. I think his ability to coach players and improve them is very poor (part of the reason I feel Wilkins was promoted) and yes team spirit wasn't the best but we are talking transfers.

Yes, we are... but, on balance, MM's track record on transfers is poor...

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Can I just say before this all goes off on a massive tangent, MM has played some part at least in attracting or finding players. OK Dodd may not have been a success but we were all very pleased we had got him when he came. MM for me is no worse or better than most managers at bringing in players, especially given our situation. I think it is fair to say he hasn't got the best reputation but then neither has Alex Ferguson but he seems to attract world class talent.

I think MM is very poor at developing players, I make no bones about this, and once again I believe this will improve with the promtion of Wilkins. His judgement is not always great (Nicolas) but I don't think there are to many great managers out there, certainly none that will come to us. Peoples views are tainted by the fact that we were very fortunate to get Adams and Coppell. Would you rather have Hinshewood or Booker as Manager?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
My opinion on him here is that, given his track record, he (fairly obvously) is under-achieving here.

In mitigation, he hasn't had to manage a club like this before, and he is struggling. Last season petered out into something quite horrific, and we were all pissed off. The fact that the Stoke was such an abomination has stuck around like a stain. We didn't even have the chance to remedy it with there being another game last season, so summer has given us very few grounds for optimism.

However, given the current administration's track record on loyalty, some (rightly or wrongly) believe he should be given the chance to redeem himself, something both he and the club, believe it or not, are busting their nuts to do.

The level of what constitures redemption for many on here is varied. Some insist on automatic promotion (highly ambitious), play-offs (possible), or top half of the table (really should be). I believe he can do well for us this season, but if he can't, then as you feel, he ought to be shown the door. But this is working on the assumption that he alone is the reason for it.

Can Dean Wilkins do better? Set-pieces aside, no-one knows.

It could have look more positive with a big name signing - or any signing.

Last time round the club signed Leon, who was an exciting signing and lifted the fans spirit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports