Player hunt on hold

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
What by going back to Millwall and getting Mark McCammon? Yeah, I know he was shite, but it does mean he was prepared to talk to Millwall.

Wolves, Reading or even Leiciester.

Do you not think Coppell may have done us a favour and lent us a few squad players? He seems to like this club a lot.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Southover Street Seagull said:
Mark McGhee last season had more resources than any Albion manager since we have been at Withdean. Ample enough excuse to keep us up.
That's a compartive. He may or may not have had more resources than any other manager since we moved to Withdean, but that doesn't follow that it was enough for that division.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
paddy said:
Ok, if we are looking who MM has done better than, the list would not be over 1 whereas if we look at past Brighton managers who have performed better than him the list would be significantly longer.

Also if we we are being evenhanded, surely we need to look at how team spirit and ability has got weaker and how he has failed to develop our young players. Someone like Gradi is excellent at that.

Hang on a minute, we are talking about transfers here. I think his ability to coach players and improve them is very poor (part of the reason I feel Wilkins was promoted) and yes team spirit wasn't the best but we are talking transfers.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
paddy said:
So in reality, your blaming everything but MM. That is a completely irresponsible attitude. Many other managers have had to and are dealing with the same and even worse situations yet thay consistantly perform better than MM in the transfer market. He has to take much of the blame.

That just about sums up the TLO take on this... blame anything but MM, even if it means slagging the club itself off... p1sses me off... :angry:

Les Biehn said:
Sorry, are you implying I called it our 'shitty little ground'?

Do you not realise how lucky we were to get Coppell? Look where he is now, does that not tell you what a fortunate appointment that was as in our position we should not really expect to be getting managers of that calibre.

Also Gradi may be wll respected but tell me the last time he got in a houshold name?

I am not implying you said we had a shitty little ground, I am saying that!!
I know we are lucky that we got Coppell but what I am trying to say it's not all about facilties and this Coppell is a good example of that.
Gradi got a an intenational Algerian defender last season on Crewe's books. Gradi does not get household names generally, he gets unknowns and turns them into household names.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Kinky Gerbils said:
Wolves, Reading or even Leiciester.

Do you not think Coppell may have done us a favour and lent us a few squad players? He seems to like this club a lot.
Not enough to loan us players.

Are not all of those previous clubs now under different administrations since he left? I could be wrong, but it would mean no-one there knows him.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Les Biehn said:
Hang on a minute, we are talking about transfers here. I think his ability to coach players and improve them is very poor (part of the reason I feel Wilkins was promoted) and yes team spirit wasn't the best but we are talking transfers.

The one that gets my goat is Nicolas -He went backwards as a player so much i think he turned inside out.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Silent Bob said:
Gradi doesn't sign household names, neither do we. But Gradi tends to get the best out of his players, while we seem incapable of doing that.

See my post above.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
paddy said:
No, if you like we can look at how we were relegated under him and how the team has got weaker.

Or how he has p1ssed-off a series of players... or how he is tactically inept... or his poor substitutions...

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
Les Biehn said:

Lets just say, for arguments sake, he is ok in the transfer market. Surely that is not enough to ofset all his other inadequacies which you pointed out. I am trying to make the point the club would be better off without him.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Les Biehn said:
Dodd, CKR, Reid, Currie, Carole, Frutos, McShane....

Can I just add that Paul reid was actually spotted by Dick knight in a reserve match! So he can hardly go down as a plus for McGhee can he?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I am not implying you said we had a shitty little ground, I am saying that!!
I know we are lucky that we got Coppell but what I am trying to say it's not all about facilties and this Coppell is a good example of that.
Gradi got a an intenational Algerian defender last season on Crewe's books. Gradi does not get household names generally, he gets unknowns and turns them into household names.

Fair enough I was just checking.

It is true about the unknowns but as I have said we are talking about attracting players. I agree that MM is poor at developing players but I do think that is part of the reason Wilkins was promoted (as I have already said).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Large One said:
Not enough to loan us players.

Are not all of those previous clubs now under different administrations since he left? I could be wrong, but it would mean no-one there knows him.

I believe (correct me if i am wrong, as normal) Leicester is run at least at some level by fans - who are not his biggest fans.

Wolves are stilled owned by the same people as ar Reading.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
That just about sums up the TLO take on this... blame anything but MM, even if it means slagging the club itself off... p1sses me off... :angry:
Oh, I have my opinions on Mark McGhee and he's not exactly 10/10, but I won't come on here and make accusation about him for which there is little evidence or are simply made up. And for the 88th time, I have not slagged the club off. f***ing deal with it. Plain English pass you by doesn't it?

And if you're pissed off that's your problem and your fault, not mine.

Last edited:

Les Biehn said:
Fair enough I was just checking.

It is true about the unknowns but as I have said we are talking about attracting players. I agree that MM is poor at developing players but I do think that is part of the reason Wilkins was promoted (as I have already said).

Part of attracting players as a manager is your reputation for coaching and getting the best out of players. Dario Gradi has an excellent reputation for that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Part of attracting players as a manager is your reputation for coaching and getting the best out of players. Dario Gradi has an excellent reputation for that.

I concur.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The Large One said:
Oh, I have my opinions on Mark McGhee and he's not exactly 10/10, but I won't come on here and make accusation about him for which there is little evidence or are simply made up. And for the 88th time, I have not slagged the club off. f***ing deal with it. Plain English pass you by doesn't it?

And if you're pissed off that's your problem and your fault, not mine.

What are your views on MM because it seems to me all your doing is trying to make the situation (minus MM) seem 10x worse than it really is.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
The 'nope' was a reference to THREE other clubs, not 91. :rolleyes:

... and one of them was Yeovil!... :dunce: :jester:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Kinky Gerbils said:
Originally posted by Les Biehn
Dodd, CKR, Reid, Currie, Carole, Frutos, McShane....

Because Dodd was a success :glare:
Dodd came here because he didn't want to move from Southampton, Cardiff and Plymouth were the other clubs in for him. CKR wanted to return south, Wigan, Leicester, or Stoke were not really going to offer him the chance to do that (or first team football), Carole, Frutos, it hardly takes a managerial genius to pay some agent to find you some players does it? And since Dick Knight was seemingly responsible for the Chaigneau transfer I wouldn't be surprised if the other two were the same. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports