Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player hunt on hold

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Perhaps we should take MM out of the equation when it comes to negociating with players, let Dean Wilkins do it, he has been in Brighton for over 20 years now. If Dean Wilkins couldn't sell Brighton as both a club and place to live then we might as well give up ever trying to sign anyone.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Gully said:
Perhaps we should take MM out of the equation when it comes to negociating with players, let Dean Wilkins do it, he has been in Brighton for over 20 years now. If Dean Wilkins couldn't sell Brighton as both a club and place to live then we might as well give up ever trying to sign anyone.

Why not go the whole hog and make Wendy manager?... it will happen if MM steers the team to anywhere below a position in or around the play-off's or higher by Christmas anyway...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
So waht? he managed to make consistently good signings... MM has consistently under-performed in this area...
Oh for f***'s sake, take your rose-tinted specs off for a minute. As well as some good signings, Micky made some absolute howlers, or are you using selective memory? Plus you are not comparinbg like with like.

We were a sturggling mid-table Division Four side when Micky took us over, with a brief to do a bit better. We were looking at promtion from Division Three when Mark took over. Mark McGhee took us to our highest finish since 1991.

Your anger and frustration is based on an absurd sense of over-stating our stature and position within the divisions on account of the fact we have spectacularly over-achieved since 2000. Get used to the fact we are not a big club, and you will understand why we struggle in the second tier, and certainly have no right to walk the third tier like it was our God-given right. Until then. keep your fantasies in check.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
One day you will wake up and realise that there are other clubs in our current league who are far less appealing as a proposition than Brighton...
Not that many. The statement was 'one of the biggest clubs in the division'. That is risible.

paddy said:
Do you not think that Brighton and Hove Albion is regarded higher than teams such as Yeovil, Scunthorpe or Blackpool?
Nope.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
The Large One said:
Micky went and effectively re-assembled the core of his Fulham squad, a squad which recently had won the division we were playing in (the bottom division). So he didn't exactly have to go far.

Yeah he might have had the core of the squad at Fulham, But at least he had the pulling power to bring those players to the Withdean.

All managers like to bring players from previous clubs they know they can trust and rely on, But with the exception of McCammon I cant think of many ex McGhee players who have come to the Withdean.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Oh for f***'s sake, take your rose-tinted specs off for a minute. As well as some good signings, Micky made some absolute howlers, or are you using selective memory? Plus you are not comparinbg like with like.

We were a sturggling mid-table Division Four side when Micky took us over, with a brief to do a bit better. We were looking at promtion from Division Three when Mark took over. Mark McGhee took us to our highest finish since 1991.

Your anger and frustration is based on an absurd sense of over-stating our stature and position within the divisions on account of the fact we have spectacularly over-achieved since 2000. Get used to the fact we are not a big club, and you will understand why we struggle in the second tier, and certainly have no right to walk the third tier like it was our God-given right. Until then. keep your fantasies in check.

You are so far out of line it makes me sick... are you a true supporter?... I have supported the club since the mid-70's so I KNOW we are a big club... you, on the other hand, seem to want to knock the club at EVERY available opportunity... now... I may wear rose-tinted spectacles.. I may think our culb is better than it actually is... but at least I recognise that playing for Brighton is a better proposition than playing for a large number of clubs in our current league... the manager, however, seems unable to get the players in that HE says he needs... that is the manager's fault, not the clubs...

The Large One said:
One day, people will wake up from this deluded fantasy and realise this statement simply is not true.

Ok so I can only think of three clubs bigger than us in League One.
Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Swansea, if we had the stadium we would be at least on a per with Bristol and Swansea.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Not that many. The statement was 'one of the biggest clubs in the division'. That is risible.

Nope.

That "Nope" says it all... you are severely misguided... :jester: :dunce:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
British Bulldog said:
Yeah he might have had the core of the squad at Fulham, But at least he had the pulling power to bring those players to the Withdean.

All managers like to bring players from previous clubs they know they can trust and rely on, But with the exception of McCammon I cant think of many ex McGhee players who have come to the Withdean.
You've just made the point yourself.

A third/fourth (whatever it's called) manager, re-assembling a third/fourth division squad, all of whom won championship medals with him. How hard would that be to re-assemble? Fair enough that he did it, but that's not pulling power, that's re-grouping for more of the same.

McGhee came from Millwall, a bigger and richer club than us. You can see them champing at the bit to leave there for a pay-cut and loss of facilities.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Southover Street Seagull said:
Ok so I can only think of three clubs bigger than us in League One.
Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Swansea, if we had the stadium we would be at least on a per with Bristol and Swansea.

That is 100% correct...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:

A third/fourth (whatever it's called) manager, re-assembling a third/fourth division squad, all of whom won championship medals with him. How hard would that be to re-assemble? Fair enough that he did it, but that's not pulling power, that's re-grouping for more of the same.

McGhee came from Millwall, a bigger and richer club than us. You can see them champing at the bit to leave there for a pay-cut and loss of facilities.

Or could it be that MM just consistently fails to perform in the transfer market?... I know it is hard for you to accept, but the evidence is there for all but the severely misguided to see...

The Large One said:

Millwall a richer club yes. A bigger club than us? No.
If we had the ground their size we would get far bigger attendances than they got last season.
The only manager that you can compare McGhee like for like is Steve Coppell. When he joined us he had less time to prepare than McGhee had last season and yet he brought in some useful players. He nearly kept us up, in fact I beleive that if he had the job from the start of that season we would have stayed up. Fact is McGhee is one of the reasons why players won't come here.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
B.W. said:
You are so far out of line it makes me sick... are you a true supporter?... I have supported the club since the mid-70's so I KNOW we are a big club... you, on the other hand, seem to want to knock the club at EVERY available opportunity... now... I may wear rose-tinted spectacles.. I may think our culb is better than it actually is... but at least I recognise that playing for Brighton is a better proposition than playing for a large number of clubs in our current league... the manager, however, seems unable to get the players in that HE says he needs... that is the manager's fault, not the clubs...
'So far out of line'? What, there's a party line set by you that I must tow?

Who the f*** are you to accuse me of knocking the club at every turn (a complete and utter LIE) especially when you can't even do something as BASIC and OBVIOUS as support the manager?

Is your ego that tender and pathetic that you can't listen to another supporter say that the club is not that big? Diddums. We are in deep, deep, deep shit, and still sinking. The majority of clubs in this division have bigger and better pulling power - and you want to pin the blame on one person?

Of course, I'm a true supporter. What a f***ing stupid question. I also live in the real world.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Millwall a richer club yes. A bigger club than us? No.
If we had the ground their size we would get far bigger attendances than they got last season.
The only manager that you can compare McGhee like for like is Steve Coppell. When he joined us he had less time to prepare than McGhee had last season and yet he brought in some useful players. He nearly kept us up, in fact I beleive that if he had the job from the start of that season we would have stayed up. Fact is McGhee is one of the reasons why players won't come here.

Now, that is a great post... why can't some on here face the facts?...

I always think back to when a certain Mr Brady came to be our manager. This is how gauge how big a club we are and how much potential we have. Liam Brady had just left Celtic. He was a top top player, yet he decided to come to a little club like Brighton? Why? Because he had played down at the Goldstone for Arsenal in 1979 and realised how big a club we are and could be. He saw the potential.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I always think back to when a certain Mr Brady came to be our manager. This is how gauge how big a club we are and how much potential we have. Liam Brady had just left Celtic. He was a top top player, yet he decided to come to a little club like Brighton? Why? Because he had played down at the Goldstone for Arsenal in 1979 and realised how big a club we are and could be. He saw the potential.
And then came Bellotti and Archer...

Point is, and it is fairly obvious, we will be able to fulfil so little of our potential until we get our stadium.

The Large One said:
What proof do you have for that?

No proof so I was wrong for using the word fact. In my opinion McGhee is one of the reasons for players not coming here. Compare last season with the season that Coppell was in charge as they both in the same division. Who attracted the best and most useful players? Who had more time to prepare?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here