Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

play-off finals not at Wembley this season

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Don't know if this has had a mention before, but this article was in yesterday's Independent :-

A fixture pile-up already.

Yet more fixture congestion and the new season has not even begun. At the back end of it will come the unlikely scenario of the FA Cup final being played on a regular Premier League Saturday, 14th May. The problem this time is caused by the Champions League final being at Wembley on 28th May, which means that Uefa insist on the stadium not being used for 10 days beforehand; a sensible precaution given the recent problems. So the teams involved (assuming they are from the top flight) will have to move their 14th May fixtures as soon as there identity is known, while most other scheduled games will be on the Sunday. There is a knock-on effect too for the Football League with at least two of the play-off finals having to be moved elsewhere, to the disappointment of lower league clubs missing out on a trip to Wembley. The League are seeking hefty financial compensation.

I presume the two finals mentioned will be League 1 and 2, although there is no mention of the Conference final which is a fourth.
This is so crap. Supporters of affected play-off teams are going to be gutted and it might be us of course. It just makes me hate the top end of the game even more at the moment.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Millenium Stadium for Leagues 1 and 2 with the confrence being in Emirates?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
It will probably depend who's playing.No point two southern teams going all the way up there.

They would need to book it and organise well in advance. Cant just change venue the week before becase fans would have a way to travel

Johnny Fever

Jan 11, 2010
Wembley Stadium had no right bidding for the Champions League final knowing full well that it has a 20 year contract with the Football League and that the stadium had games scheduled for that time.
This disregard for fans, especially in the lower leagues is digraceful but exactly the sort of behaviour we have begun to expect from the money men.

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks a lot FA, you bunch of twats. Keep paying Crapello his £6 million a year and shaft lower league fans again and again. :angry:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
There is a knock-on effect too for the Football League with at least two of the play-off finals having to be moved elsewhere, to the disappointment of lower league clubs missing out on a trip to Wembley
I presume the two finals mentioned will be League 1 and 2, although there is no mention of the Conference final which is a fourth.
This is so crap. Supporters of affected play-off teams are going to be gutted and it might be us of course. It just makes me hate the top end of the game even more at the moment.

This must could also affect the FA Vase and Trophy finals so even more proper fans could miss out on their big day out.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thanks a lot FA, you bunch of twats. Keep paying Crapello his £6 million a year and shaft lower league fans again and again. :angry:

Indeed. What a bunch of absolute tossers.I guess at least the lower league finalists will get to play on a pitch that doesn't resemble a potato patch though...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To be honest, if the alternative is the Millenium Stadium, it could be a positive - no danger of selling out League 1 or 2 play-offs, and a better atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here