Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Play Off Final Plastics.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How many of the 30,000 Brighton fans at Cardiff had been to Withdean (averaging <7,000)? Or is that different?

to be fair, it is a bit different as that was the ceiling at Withdean and it was a bugger to get seats that were shit. while i dont think its that different in drawing out lots for a big day out, and the obsession on attendances is dull, it is odd that those two teams have drawn such small crowds in a succesful season.

I really do find this obsession with "plastics" really quite nauseating.

i dont even understand why its come to be a term for out own fans. it used to be refering to Man U and other "fans" who just followed a Premiership club. maybe they are "plastic" because they still do "support" those big clubs, but really if they are at the ground they are supporting BHA. i like Butterflies btw, as you say, a fact of life (i must say im one of them).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really do find this obsession with "plastics" really quite nauseating.

When I were but a boy, we called them "butterflies" a far more charming reference for people who would come out on the sunny days, but would be nowhere to be seen on the gloomy, dark days. Yes, it was a distinction, but I never felt it was a big criticism, it's just the facts of life isn't it, and a perfectly natural one. Of course the glorious days, the high profile games draw a bigger crowd, where is the surprise in that?

Don't we all do it? Wouldn't we all just dismiss the cricticism as a nosense if someone threw it at us in different circumstances. I was at Lords last Thursday, and no-one turned on me as a "plastic" due to my lack of attendance at County games, or at a concert at the O2, no-one criticises me for not being at that bands gigs when they were doing rough clubs around the country.

At the end of the day, big games pull bigger crowds than average, just like the following we had to Wembley in 1991. It happens, don't see the problem.

Luckily, it is mainly confined to these boards I reckon, because my experience of the Amex has been nothing but friendly camaraderie. I don't know who goes around thinking they're better fans than others around them, but I think they are few and far between on match days whether home or away.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Do you really think the letter from the Leeds / Celtic / Brighton fan was real? Is the Liverpool rucksack any different to the Man Utd hat in the Cantona picture?

Clubs like ours are always going to have a high number of floating fans, and it's lucky we do really or it would be a bit embarrassing when the good times come around and we take 12,000 to Wembley, I'm sure you'll agree.

That part is 100% a joke. I know the person who 'wrote' the letter and he didn't write it at all, still supports Leeds and Celtic and doesn't go to the Albion. The Argus letters page is often used to take the mickey out of each other as they really will print anything...

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Do you really think the letter from the Leeds / Celtic / Brighton fan was real? Is the Liverpool rucksack any different to the Man Utd hat in the Cantona picture?

Clubs like ours are always going to have a high number of floating fans, and it's lucky we do really or it would be a bit embarrassing when the good times come around and we take 12,000 to Wembley, I'm sure you'll agree.

Shirt too :D

plasticsgalore.jpg

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Has there ever been a Championship Play off final contested between two poorly supported clubs than Watford vs Palace ?

Watford average about 11k "home" fans and Palace 15k . That means about 65k watching at Wembley will have hardly ever set foot in Vicarage Road or the Grim Groupon.

Watch out for those banners.:lolol:

Hello Major old bean !
Yep, it's going to be great spectacle, full of colour and atmosphere.
Not a clapper in sight, no song sheets, and the dressing rooms can be left open.
33,000 die hard Palace , just like the old days . :clap:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Has there ever been a Championship Play off final contested between two poorly supported clubs than Watford vs Palace ?

Watford average about 11k "home" fans and Palace 15k . That means about 65k watching at Wembley will have hardly ever set foot in Vicarage Road or the Grim Groupon.

Watch out for those banners.:lolol:

Totally immaterial, Watford and Palace are in the final and they deserve to be there, get used to it and stop bleating on about attendences............it's very boring!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On BBS it has been suggested that a lot of tickets could have been acquired by touts signing up for a club membership to get priority status and obtain tickets after the season ticket holders had been sorted.

On BBS it has been suggested that a lot of tickets could have been acquired by touts signing up for a club membership to get priority status and obtain tickets after the season ticket holders had been sorted.

Who would the touts sell the tickets too ? Can't see many Palace travelling all the way across London - it's not Charlton you know.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Is the Liverpool rucksack any different to the Man Utd hat in the Cantona picture?

Far be it for me to defend palarse but the Cantona incident happened in a mixed family stand(and surprisingly enough I refer to mixed as in fans of both clubs not the usual palarse family of " son being his own uncle and sister being his pimp,mother shagging the dog and father into his great grandmother".

That made the actions of Matthew Simmons even more offensive,why was that prat in an unsegregated family stand?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Who would the touts sell the tickets too ? Can't see many Palace travelling all the way across London - it's not Charlton you know.

They never went on general sale because of the late surge in club memberships , there could be Nigels still after tickets out there shoplifting and mugging old ladies to raise the cash to buy off a tout.

They never went on general sale because of the late surge in club memberships , there could be Nigels still after tickets out there shoplifting and mugging old ladies to raise the cash to buy off a tout.

If I were Palace I would be waiting for the Wembley Groupon deal - could be a lot of empties in the Red&Blue end.

IFHB

Apr 14, 2010

So you think that touts would have laid out £25, in advance, before they knew how many would go on sale to members? I believe it has been suggested on the bbs that a lot of the new members details where not processed in time by the ticket agency and they were not able to obtain tickets. However, if you were able to obtain membership, you were able to buy 2 tickets. I am sure that touts managed to get their grubby little hands on some tickets, but " a lot of tickets"? I doubt it.

But carry on with your pathetic attempt to get over Monday night.

Grimsby eh? Which end of the road are you? Probably the front l would guess.

Syph

Banned
Feb 20, 2013
If I were Palace I would be waiting for the Wembley Groupon deal - could be a lot of empties in the Red&Blue end.

It's been sold out for days, they'll be no offers - not that such a thing is a problem anyway, getting new fans through the door is important for the sustainability of our club. I expect you to come on here and show a small amount of maturity by apologising when you see a sea of red and blue (and some yellow) on Monday. You know you'll be watching.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So you think that touts would have laid out £25, in advance, before they knew how many would go on sale to members? I believe it has been suggested on the bbs that a lot of the new members details where not processed in time by the ticket agency and they were not able to obtain tickets. However, if you were able to obtain membership, you were able to buy 2 tickets. I am sure that touts managed to get their grubby little hands on some tickets, but " a lot of tickets"? I doubt it.

But carry on with your pathetic attempt to get over Monday night.

Grimsby eh? Which end of the road are you? Probably the front l would guess.

Agencies are advertising Wembley tickets for £150 - £200 , so £25 for a membership isn't much when buying a couple of tickets to either flog personally or sell on to an agency. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac. See you next season.

Vegas78

Dec 4, 2012
South London
Not long ago this time last Monday this was being said

Wow that is an incredible sight I'm really shocked Brighton fans are leaving at the end of the day surely they should be staying behind for the end of the game while there team stay on the pitch!

You have some decent posters on this site but the O/P is a total wind up, I don't think anyone is going to care how many of the 33,000 have been to selhurst this year, because whatever happens we are going to have a f%$king great day!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here