Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Scary as it all is, the odds of actually being caught up in something like this, wherever it is, are tiny. Can't live life worrying about these things otherwise you'd never leave the house. I fly somewhere at least once a month, I am in London 2-3 days a week and use the underground........was in NYC on 9/11, and London on 7/7. Saw an interesting stat about 9/11 at the time - at the time the first plane hit the WTC, there were over 3,000 planes in the air - over North America alone (or something like that - can't be arsed to look it up again)

I agree. I certainly wouldn't go anywhere where there is civil unrest, or a war going on, or even certain pubs. But having lived in London for many years you become aware of the true and relative risk of isolated acts of terrorism and it is very small.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I've booked to go back to Sharm El Sheikh next June, I can't wait, I certainly won't be looking to change our plans, unless the situation out changes drastically!

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
People who have children wouldn't normally be so definite about ignoring terrorist threats.

Good point, I've been to Egypt for the past couple for years, I wouldn't take my kids back there this year, though I think I'd have gone myself.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People who have children wouldn't normally be so definite about ignoring terrorist threats.

It's not so much ignoring the threats, it's what you see as a real threat and where you draw the line with real risk. Personally, as I have explained above, I see the threat as being quite small. My life goes on.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've booked to go back to Sharm El Sheikh next June, I can't wait, I certainly won't be looking to change our plans, unless the situation out changes drastically!

From the Bbc news report.
Three airlines - Emirates, Air France-KLM and Lufthansa - have decided not to fly over the Sinai Peninsula until more information is available. Two smaller carriers, flydubai and Air Arabia, also said they would re-route flights.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good point, I've been to Egypt for the past couple for years, I wouldn't take my kids back there this year, though I think I'd have gone myself.

Quite.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
It's not so much ignoring the threats, it's what you see as a real threat and where you draw the line with real risk. Personally, as I have explained above, I see the threat as being quite small. My life goes on.

For someone who persistently asks so many questions, can I assume you wish to refuse to answer my question ?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
From the Bbc news report.
Three airlines - Emirates, Air France-KLM and Lufthansa - have decided not to fly over the Sinai Peninsula until more information is available. Two smaller carriers, flydubai and Air Arabia, also said they would re-route flights.
I don't believe any British aircraft have been flying over the Sinai peninsula for quite a while, they all fly around Cairo

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Russians now claiming the Plane suffered "An Impact"
I'm trying to work out who Putin wants to blame for this, and whether this is in fact a false flag operation.

He was hacked off about RAF jets being armed with air-to-air missiles, surely he isn't going to try to blame us ? ???

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm trying to work out who Putin wants to blame for this, and whether this is in fact a false flag operation.

He was hacked off about RAF jets being armed with air-to-air missiles, surely he isn't going to try to blame us ? ???

It'd be a bit silly if he did, as the plane went down in Egypt.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Despite the ISIL video, im fairly sure it will turn out to be poor maint, and sadly, the thing just fell apart....if the ISIL video is real, then they are in for a world of pain (and an even more shit time for anybody near them)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Despite the ISIL video, im fairly sure it will turn out to be poor maint, and sadly, the thing just fell apart....if the ISIL video is real, then they are in for a world of pain (and a shit time for anybody near them)
Yes, I agree. Poor maintenance is most likely. After that I see a bomb on board being possible. This russian talk of an impact, though, doesn't make much sense ( which makes me think if they are really claiming that, then something very suspicious is going on ).

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I just find it really sad that when a plane goes down nowadays, first thoughts, mine included, are always "who did that then" rather than "oh no, what a tragic accident"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here