Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Places in Brighton that are a mystery to you

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I know these might sound slightly off-beam questions, but did Hove and Preston Park Stations ever have ticket offices in what look like the main buildings? As everyone will know, the one at Hove is in the building by the Cliftonville and at PP you have to go up the subway and onto the middle platform to get a ticket, but in both cases there are more substantial buildings. If that was the case at Preston Park, could you go straight from the building to the platform, or did you have to return to the street and go up the subway to get to the platforms?

Another building that has always puzzled me is the Foredown Tower? I know I could go to Wikipedia, but was it Napoleonic or from an earlier period?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Another building that has always puzzled me is the Foredown Tower? I know I could go to Wikipedia, but was it Napoleonic or from an earlier period?

Foredown Tower held the water supply for the old Foredown Hospital, which was an isolation hospital for patients with infectious diseases. the hospital was demolished a while ago. The water tank itself was converted into a camera obscura.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Foredown Tower held the water supply for the old Foredown Hospital, which was an isolation hospital for patients with infectious diseases. the hospital was demolished a while ago. The water tank itself was converted into a camera obscura.

Shame it's not economically viable to open it all summer. It's a lovely little place and I've yet to see the obscura!

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I know these might sound slightly off-beam questions, but did Hove and Preston Park Stations ever have ticket offices in what look like the main buildings? As everyone will know, the one at Hove is in the building by the Cliftonville and at PP you have to go up the subway and onto the middle platform to get a ticket, but in both cases there are more substantial buildings. If that was the case at Preston Park, could you go straight from the building to the platform, or did you have to return to the street and go up the subway to get to the platforms?

The original station building dated from 1865, while the current one with the ticket office and subway was only constructed in 1893, presumably with the platforms being extended. Apparently the canopy in front of the 1893 building was taken from London Victoria when the area in front of that station was redeveloped.

Hove railway station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preston Park railway station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attachments

• Hove_Station.jpg
    Hove_Station.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Liz_Hove_station.jpg
    Liz_Hove_station.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 86
  • P1000473.JPG
    P1000473.JPG
    206.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Hove_stn.jpg
    Hove_stn.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Cat Fish

May 16, 2012
Central brighton
Great thread! Used to live in Melbourne Street so great seeing where the viaduct travelled. Also my Great Uncle was Jim Gray who left his massive collection of photos to the Regency Society. Remember visiting him as a child and he had rooms dedicated to his photo collection. He knew everything about Brighton as a town and also attended every Brighton home game for years and kept a Brighton & Hove Albion diary detailing every match he attended (my dad has these). He also kept a personal diary for every day of his life which my dad also has (except the war years which are in the Imperial War Museum) He was an amazing man and if it wasnt for him most of these photographs would never have been seen. The Regency Society did an amazing job of digitalising his collection.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Some old views of Preston Park Station and the Lane to Withdean Stadium.

Attachments

• Preston Park 0003.jpg
    Preston Park 0003.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 72
  • Preston Park 0001.jpg
    Preston Park 0001.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Preston Park 0002.jpg
    Preston Park 0002.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 93
  • Preston Park 0004.jpg
    Preston Park 0004.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 78
  • Preston Park 0005.jpg
    Preston Park 0005.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 78

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks

Hove certainly did. It has been relocated and restored and is available for all to see at Amberley Working Museum

hove1h.jpg

hove-header.jpg

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Old vs. new views.....

I can't replicate the second view exactly as it would mean standing closer to the railway line and would be in someones living room, so I've taken a streetview from a little further south towards the station. However the spread of the tree branches gives a reference. the two gates are just right of the traffic cone in front of the distant vehicle.

Attachments

• Preston Park 0004a.jpg
    Preston Park 0004a.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Preston Park 0006.jpg
    Preston Park 0006.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 97
  • Preston Park 0005a.jpg
    Preston Park 0005a.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Preston Park 0007.jpg
    Preston Park 0007.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 109

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Great thread! Used to live in Melbourne Street so great seeing where the viaduct travelled. Also my Great Uncle was Jim Gray who left his massive collection of photos to the Regency Society. Remember visiting him as a child and he had rooms dedicated to his photo collection. He knew everything about Brighton as a town and also attended every Brighton home game for years and kept a Brighton & Hove Albion diary detailing every match he attended (my dad has these). He also kept a personal diary for every day of his life which my dad also has (except the war years which are in the Imperial War Museum) He was an amazing man and if it wasnt for him most of these photographs would never have been seen. The Regency Society did an amazing job of digitalising his collection.

It's possible to trace back to some of the original farm buildings that dated from when the areas were still open farmland. ( E.g. Preston Manor Farm, parts of which became the Rock Gardens in 1935/36, Preston Bowling Club, the remainder becoming a coal yard for Corralls, then T.J. Braybon builders ( which I can remember ), and then was demolished to make way for Preston Village mews, next to the Brewery Tap. In fact the pub name gives the game away that it was used by the Preston Brewery for maltings at one stage ).

Between the railway and Preston Road were some large Victorian Villas, now all gone, and I can remember the one used by Cornhill Insurance as one of the last ones left ( even with the rather peculiar 1950's / 60's addition to the frontage to take out the bay windows ).

The view of 1873 showing the lines of trees that now form the east and west boundaries of Preston Park demonstrates just what has changed in the intervening 139 years.

Attachments

• Cornhill Insurance 0001.jpg
    Cornhill Insurance 0001.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 123
  • Preston Park 1873.jpg
    Preston Park 1873.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Corralls 1970s.jpg
    Corralls 1970s.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 150
  • Preston Village Mews 2.jpg
    Preston Village Mews 2.jpg