Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] PL matches 22/2 - 24/2

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
VAR is destroying football - Bournemouth score a perfectly good goal and instead of being 1-1 they find themselves 2-0 down. If you are going to give a penalty for handball, then give the f*cking penalty - don't wait until the other team goes down the pitch and scores a perfectly good goal. This is utter nonsense and makes the game pointless.

But surely VAR made the correct decision. What I don't understand is how far back they go with it. Let's say Muff did not score when they did, but the ball stayed in play for another 5 min, then goes out can they then decide to give the penalty, and if so are those extra 5 min added on at the end of the game.?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I wonder if you added all the wasted VAR decision making time together over the course of a season.
Would you have paid for but missed a compete match's worth of playing time?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
But surely VAR made the correct decision. What I don't understand is how far back they go with it. Let's say Muff did not score when they did, but the ball stayed in play for another 5 min, then goes out can they then decide to give the penalty, and if so are those extra 5 min added on at the end of the game.?

Not the issue - refs are now not making decisions because they can let the play go on and then go back and review it - and when a ref does make a decision, they have players surrounding them demanding VAR and then their decision is overturned. It is making a mockery of the game.

It has got so bad now that everyone has to wait a couple of minutes before they can celebrate when a goal is scored. Apparently Spurs fans a couple of weeks ago got so fed up they started chanting 'Let's pretend we scored' and then cheered because it was more spontaneous than waiting for VAR to make a decision.

Scrap VAR - let the refs do their job - they will make mistakes, but over the season these things tend to balance themselves out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

For goals, they go to wherever the ref decided was the reset point. It's subjective and should be based on when there was change of possession, whether the defending team had a chance to reset, etc.

The Penalty wasn't checked because a goal was scored, the penalty was checked because all potential penalty incidences are checked. If they had missed that shot and it went out for a goal kick or deflected away for a corner, the penalty would still have been given.

Checks start pretty much instantly, if there is a break in play while the check is going on, the ref will stop play and wait for the check to complete. Once play restarts, if they spot something, they can't do anything about it (which is why they could send the Spurs player off earlier after they realised their mistake).

There was a game recently, I can't remember which one, wherein there was a potential penalty, the ball didn't go out before the check was complete, but as soon as the check was complete and it was decided there should have been a penalty, the ref stopped the game, gave the TV signal and gave the penalty. So it appears, if the ball doesn't go out, play will continue until the check is complete,

I don't recall them adding on the extra time for it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just needs the VAR official to have the balls to override match officials, and apply the laws.

Lo Celso and Lundstram should’ve been sent off. Just tell the ref to send them off, simple.

They’re over thinking it, looking for minute potential cop outs to agree with the ref.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just needs the VAR official to have the balls to override match officials, and apply the laws.

Lo Celso and Lundstram should’ve been sent off. Just tell the ref to send them off, simple.

They’re over thinking it, looking for minute potential cop outs to agree with the ref.

This is the same that I encountered sitting on disciplinary cases on Surrey FA many members attitude was the ref said he did it so he must have why would they say he did if he didnt. The ref is always right in some peoples eyes irrespective of the evidence available.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the same that I encountered sitting on disciplkin ary cases on Surrey FA many members attitude was the ref said he did it so he must have why would they say he did if he didnt. The ref is always right in some peoples eyes irrespective of the evidence available.

and they’re not. VAR should be here partly to reverse the glaring blunders of the likes of Friend and Atkinson. Not be their nodding donkey mate.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Ultimately the VAR can’t overrule the on-field referee - VAR can only make recommendations on subjective decisions.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was always my point they are human and make mistakes.

You very seldom hear of rugby TMOs making mistakes. VARS first concern is refs closing rank wherever possible. It’s fatally flawed because of it. They shouldn’t be making mistakes with the replays and angles they have.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You very seldom hear of rugby TMOs making mistakes. VARS first concern is refs closing rank wherever possible. It’s fatally flawed because of it. They shouldn’t be making mistakes with the replays and angles they have.

The VAR officials should be experienced.

The VAR official should have carte blanche to give the correct decision. Not this silly; clear and obvious cop out, where the VAR official scrutinises meticulously to find a reason why his pal might have given the decision he did.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Apart from Newcastle bungling it the results were okay. Of the teams below us playing we gained a point and bettered the GD.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The VAR officials should be experienced.

The VAR official should have carte blanche to give the correct decision. Not this silly; clear and obvious cop out, where the VAR official scrutinises meticulously to find a reason why his pal might have given the decision he did.

I think that the VAR official should have the final say if he says penalty so be it as with no goal or red card. I think that this would make the on field refs be more careful as regards their decisions.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Apart from Newcastle bungling it the results were okay. Of the teams below us playing we gained a point and bettered the GD.

Newcastle result was a good one for us. Palace, like Southampton, were never going down, Newcastle might.

I hate wanting either of them to win but Palace and Southampton both did us a favour today. It was a good day of results.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
BBC TV commentator at Stamford Bridge is shite (currently on MOTD).

Lo Celso’s disgraceful assault, even after damning replays, is met with woolly Ooh Aah, gets a bit worse every time you look at it. What about, that’s a disgraceful foul.

Are the BBC staff under instructions to be sycophantic creeps, or they’ll lose the gig?

I prefer the Sky lot for being outspoken, telling it as it is.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hopefully ManUre will muller their opponents today. Another result favouring us and OGS staying longer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here