Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Pizza Express customer punches a vegan

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
These Vegan protesters are absolute pricks and about time someone stood up to them. Good friend of mine was on a very rare night out with his missus in the steak place they protested in on a Saturday night earlier in the year. They even played noises of animals being slaughtered on loudspeakers constantly on a loop. Night out ruined as they stood their with megaphones, intimidating the diners on a Saturday night.

They've also targeted local independent businesses / delis costing them money. Pizza Express is one of the better high street restaurants that cater for Vegans so again pretty stupid target.

No problem with protesting, but storming restaurants and these antics do nothing for their cause.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Political correctness tipping point

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
They say "meat is murder" ...... what utter b#####x!
And what is this "speciesism"? The belief that man is a seperate species with greater rights . Too right we are
NB , no excuse for hitting them, I know.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
To be fair, "speciesism" is an important philosophical problem.

We all accept that human lives are worth more (to us) than animal lives. For example, if we had the choice of saving the life of only a child or a dog, we would (hopefully) all save the child.

At the same time many of us believe that the life of a dog is more sacred than that of a cow - we happily eat burgers without a second thought, but the thought of dogs being farmed and served up in that way might make us feel sick or angry.

The other extreme of "speciesism" is that animal lives are not even worth our consideration. They should be farmed and used for our pleasure, and their suffering does not matter. Hopefully most of us agree that this would be an immoral view to take.

We are a "speciesist" society, and that is largely natural and to some degree okay. However the suffering of animals is always wrong and immoral. Meat eating is unethical when it is unnecessary, but until there is a viable alternative to meat and we can stop eating it completely, we need to look to reduce our meat consumption in order to reduce the suffering of animals and also the destruction of the planet.

Tricky this . If we didn`t eat meat all the lovely lambs we see in the fields in the spring wouldn`t be produced. Is it better to have a shortened life or no life at all ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
While their cause is 100% morally and ethically correct

no it isnt, and their actions certainly arent. you cant simply decide your personal views are correct and the majority are wrong.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
A slightly different view, having watched the actions and follow up reactions of the aggrieved man.

Am wondering if he is suffering mental health issues, perhaps on the spectrum, and their confrontational behaviour was a trigger which set him off.

The last shots of him, very much the look of a confused man.

It most certainly doesn't justify his actions, but just might explain them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Apart from the punch, we’ll slap, it was good work. ****ing idiots ruining people’s night by doing something that achieves absolutely nothing either. Bloke was out of order, no excuses. But tree huggers caused the situation and provoked him. Twats all round.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
The massive majority of vegans are normal people who don’t try and force their views on others. Just like most football fans aren’t massive hooligan twats.

This sort of activist vegan is about as helpful to veganism as hard as **** football knobs are to the image/reputation of football fans

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I get where the vegan lobby are coming from and I’m trying to cut as much meat out of my diet as I can.

I also understand why they feel compelled to take direct action to change behaviour.

What I don’t understand is why someone feels they have the right to resort to violence, even if their evening is being disturbed for a few minutes.

Better to talk to them. They’ll be gone soon enough.

Personally, I think the need for us all to cut meat consumption is a very real and critical argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You support the cause therefore you condone the methods?

What would your reaction be if pro-brexit supporters were doing the same thing?

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
While their cause is 100% morally and ethically correct (and they know it) - these protestors are absolute morons.

All they are achieving by annoying people is deterring people from their cause.

I get the impression these are just attention seekers, who enjoy the fact that they can get away with this, and see their actions all over the press and social media. I would expect many other vegans are absolutely fuming that this group is harming the vegan movement in this way.

Are they really harming the cause though? Can’t see it personally. Better to be talked about than not at all. 14 pages on here about it, and some decent debate amongst the ill-informed opinions on this thread so...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are they really harming the cause though? Can’t see it personally. Better to be talked about than not at all. 14 pages on here about it, and some decent debate amongst the ill-informed opinions on this thread so...

This.

Personally, I prefer to use social media to promote my balanced, measured and well-researched political learnings but maybe I should also take it out on the road?

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
So you are in favour of abortion for imperfect human embryos?

That’s not really the right analogy. These animals are raised solely for their meat or milk. A lamb doesn’t have a happy and fulfilling life, it has the most cost effective life possible before it is used for our food. Your example is about an unborn human, who should have just the same opportunities to have a happy life as everyone else, but has been discovered to have a birth defect which might mean they have a very difficult life instead. That is a tough debate but nothing to do with using animals for food.

Nobody really likes talking about the reality because it’s distressing, and some of the practices are utterly shocking. Everyone seems to get furious when we see videos of whales or dolphins being ripped into by Japanese harpoons, but that really isn’t much different to what goes on in other meat / fish industries. We’ve just chosen special measures for a few animals. Like bulls, most of us hate bull fights and the bull run. At least the bull has a chance of smashing up a couple of twats before it’s inevitable demise. A pig, being dragged screaming, out of its pen by a long hook in its body is not really any different.

Apologies for going a bit vegan there!!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Help needed.

I've always wondered about pain and cruelty to animals in the sport of fishing - here I must declare some ignorance to the fish anatomy.
1. Does that sharp hook in your gob attached to a long line being yanked very hard cause any discomfort [sure would for me].
2. Does a fish out of water die of asphyxiation [like we might under water]? [I can't imagine the panic that sets in during those few moments]
3. How long does it take for a fish to die out of water? Is it long and slow or do they black-out quickly?
4. When caught and put in a keep-net, does this feel like we might if locked in a 6x6 cell?

Don't get me wrong, I'll not be patrolling the river banks telling fisher-folk they are wrong to do what they're doing - live and let live has always been my life motto.

Now, where did I leave that megaphone?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
OT But why does it seem to be men in their 50s(ish) who are the most aggressive ?

Yesterday, while driving, I saw a learner pull away slowly at a roundabout. Bloke in 50s/60s then took the opportunity to race up to the learner with their hand on the horn. Seen incidences like this a few times and it's almost solely older men who do it. Any idea why ?

Saying this as a man in his 50s (just about !)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here