Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pitch inspection for Walsall match

Train Spotter

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
That takes the piss, Walsall well know that the team are travelling up today - they even acknowleded this fact on their own website. What if the pitch is still marginal at 9am? Are they going to wait until all the fans are in Brum before making a decision.

QUOTE]

That's what they did at Torquay !

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They have an obligation, like all League clubs, to get the game on if at all possible.

They can't just decide 24 hours beforehand that it might be a bit iffy and call it off. If it then turned out to be fine the next day, they'd get stuck on by the Football League if.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Also on the 0943, but if it gets called off, I'll be attending one of the most boring fixtures on the Premier League calender! Wolves v Wigan. E-Mailed Wigan, to ask wether or not it was pay on the day, they replied:

Hi Darren,

We've had confirmation from Wolves that you will be able to pay on the turnstiles at Molineux on the day.
Kind regards,
Matt Lawton
DW Stadium Ticket Office

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if its called off at 9am, then that is ideal as it means i, a) wont have left, and b) will be able to go and watch gloucester v biaritz instead

any later and ill be on the way to birmingham, which will mean another day WASTED by walsall fc

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I will be leaving the house at about 1.45pm so unless it's as tight a decision as it was at Torquay I should be okay :clap2:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Also on the 0943, but if it gets called off, I'll be attending one of the most boring fixtures on the Premier League calender! Wolves v Wigan. E-Mailed Wigan, to ask wether or not it was pay on the day, they replied:

Hi Darren,

We've had confirmation from Wolves that you will be able to pay on the turnstiles at Molineux on the day.
Kind regards,
Matt Lawton
DW Stadium Ticket Office

From the Wolves website:
Tomorrow's game with Wigan is an all ticket fixture for both sets of supporters with none available on the turnstiles.

It does, however, go on to say that ticket will be available from the ticket office.

http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~1934077,00.html

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
ALL HANDS ON DECK
Posted on: Fri 15 Jan 2010

IT'S BEEN all hands on deck today in a bid to get Saturday's League One clash with Brighton & Hove Albion on.

In fact, as I write this my arms are aching as well as my back and legs for that matter after a massive effort from all staff members to clear the snow from on and around the pitch.

The surface has been verti-drained and slowly but surely all of the surface water that lay on the pitch earlier in the day is starting to disappear.

Work is continuing into the night in readiness for an inspection by the match referee, Graham Horwood at 9.00am on Saturday morning.

Walsall | News | As It Happens | As It Happens | ALL HANDS ON DECK

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
The reason for the Saturday morning inspection is because of the weather forecast for tonight. The midlands are forecast for torrential rain tonight and Saturday.

The pitch as it is (seen it on local TV) is playable but I really don't think it will take much rain to make it waterlogged.

Also why blame the club for a match being called off? Is this not a decision taken by a referee? (if it is to do with playing surface) If it’s on the day of and the match official is available then he makes decision, if not a local referee is called in and they make the decision.

But then I have only 20 mins drive to get there so late as they like for me.

tunnel

Jan 15, 2010
walsall

where do we go when we get there,pub wise?
we are driving up and staying the night,well up for any suggestions before and after the game

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The reason for the Saturday morning inspection is because of the weather forecast for tonight. The midlands are forecast for torrential rain tonight and Saturday.

The pitch as it is (seen it on local TV) is playable but I really don't think it will take much rain to make it waterlogged.

Also why blame the club for a match being called off? Is this not a decision taken by a referee? (if it is to do with playing surface) If it’s on the day of and the match official is available then he makes decision, if not a local referee is called in and they make the decision.

But then I have only 20 mins drive to get there so late as they like for me.

Raining very hard here so my guess is it will be postponed due to waterlogged pitch.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Absoloute rubbish, how they can just expect us to pay money to go to birmingham with a chance of f*** all being played is outrageous.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
f*** sake - off we go then for what i have no doubt will be a WASTED journey

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
They showed the pitch, and interviewed the club Chairman, on the local news last night. The pitch had been cleared of snow, although much of it had been piled up on the side, if you were sat at the front of any of the stands you probably wouldn't be able to see over it. My guess is that unless the pitch becomes waterlogged, which is entirely possible given the amount of rain we appear to have had overnight, the game should go ahead.

This report has been brought to you from a location approximately 40 miles south of Walsall.

hmmmm Decision time.

Was going to leave about now (as soon as it was confirmed) .....

Leaving at 1130 is cutting it too fine, so thinking of a 1030 leave and checking in at 1130 (near LHR) Any idea where I can/check whilst on the road?

Weather forcast looks dry for the afternoon, but touch and go whether it has stopped raining by 1130

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I suspect the pitch was playable at 9am but the referee wants to see what happens with more rain saturating the playing surface. Wouldn't be at all surprised at 11.30 that he decides another inspection at 1.30 is needed.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Is raining at the moment in Wolverhampton (6 miles away as the crow flies).

I wouldn't be surprised if the pitch is very soft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here