Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pink Floyd To Release First New Album in 20 Years

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I seem to be in the minority here but, for me, no Waters means it isn't Floyd.

Totally agreed. Like Led Zeppelin without Jimmy Page, or Oasis without Noel Gallagher. Roger Waters is VITAL to Pink Floyd, it's wanky cheesy 80s excess without him. (IMO. Obviously)

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
A bit of wee came out.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Final Cut...probably my favourite PF album, although it should always have been a Waters solo album

An incredibly moving album

I thought it was just me who loved this album.
I have pretty much everything Floyd have ever done.
My best mate was seriously messed up by the Falklands war and the Final Cut deals with issues surrounding that period.

Not sure it's my favourite, but certainly the most played (if that makes any sense).

As [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] says, it is a continuation of The Wall with a lot of the music being repeated, but it is an amazingly powerful album because of that. 'When The Tigers Broke Free' is just incredible, Water's father did die at the battle of Anzio making it perhaps one of the most heart felt politically charged anti-war songs you could wish to hear. Then through the middle part of the album, the whole thing just sweeps you into a deeply emotional journey, you can just lose yourself in the album narrative. Paranoid Eyes is probably my favourite track, the gentle piano and amazing poetic visual lyrics just do it for me…..button your lip, and don't let the shield slip, take a fresh grip on your bullet proof mask...

I have it as a playlist in iTunes where I can omit 'Not Now John' which just doesn't belong and sticks out like a sore thumb. Should never have been on there, I've always suspected Water's was forced to include it either from the record company, or that Gilmour wanted some electric guitar riffs on there somewhere.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Atom Heart Mother for me as well. I have all the studio albums (and will certainly buy the new one) and I regularly try and listen to Division Bell and the Final Cut. But I find myself wandering off half way through, kind of bored or unstimulated. I think it is the 'rock by numbers' feel, even with the Wall there is plenty of variety in the songs to keep me entertained.

What a track Fat Old Sun is! Amazing.

What is Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast all about though? I've been listening to that on and off for 20 years and still can't get my head around what this is all about. :smokin:???

I thought Meddle which came after was a better album though, think they really started to get a grip of the production at this point.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What a track Fat Old Sun is! Amazing.

What is Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast all about though? I've been listening to that on and off for 20 years and still can't get my head around what this is all about. :smokin:???

One man and his love of marmalade, isn't it?

For me 'If' remains my all-time favourite Floyd tune. They've written some powerful lyrics over their career - none greater in my eyes than 'Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war...." but the line "If I go insane, will you still let me join in with your games?" comes a close second. And Wright's organ-playing in the first track never fails to give me goosebumps.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Wasn't The Final Cut more or less a Waters solo album anyway in all but name?

Yes, as they all now say. Waters had an artistic vision the others just didn't share. I think the rest wanted to move on from The Wall, but for Waters it was just the start of something creatively he had to complete, hence all the friction as the rest didn't really want to do it. From what I've read Gilmour did his best to help complete it, but Wright obviously fell out completely and left the band at that point.

Dave Gilmour on the other hand has made some incredibly beautiful solo music. His '78 album has "There's No Way Out Of Here" which is just so, so incredible. He's also recently collaborated with the Orb and that is pretty darned good too. My favourite Floyd album has to be 'Atom Heart Mother'.

Interesting you mention Gilmour's solo work and 'Atom Heart Mother'. Gilmour wrote (see above) one of my favourite Floyd tracks Fat Old Sun from that album. Although you're right, both Gilmour and Waters have been scathing about that album ever since.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
One man and his love of marmalade, isn't it?

For me 'If' remains my all-time favourite Floyd tune. They've written some powerful lyrics over their career - none greater in my eyes than 'Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war...." but the line "If I go insane, will you still let me join in with your games?" comes a close second. And Wright's organ-playing in the first track never fails to give me goosebumps.

Also has 'if I were a good man, I'd understand the spaces between friends' that's always stuck with me that one.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Oh no. I hope they are going to stick with themselves rather than featuring several 'artistes' to try and be modern and 'with it'.

It's actually more of a tribute to Richard Wright. There was a lot of his work left unfinished after The Division Bell, so they basically looked to finish it. As I understand it a lot of Richard's recorded tracks will be used throughout the album.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
There's a distinct tingling feeling going through my body thinking about this album :O

Got an absolutely beautiful copy of Meddle on vinyl the other day, will give that a celebratory play now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Atom Heart Mother came soon after Ummagumma which I believe was an experimental album to find out who would should become the lyricist. Water's effort was adjudged the best: so it depends on whether the lyrics appeal or whether you like the stadium rock band they eventually became, with an even bigger sound. Mind you, they once allegedly killed all the fish in a lake in the 70's.

Personally, have to say prefer Roger Waters albums. Meddle is my favourite PF album, closely followed by Animals, Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. What makes them great is their ability to make excellent albums, so many bands are merely capable of only one good track and the rest is crap.

Their position of 51 in the ranking of that rag is a travesty and they are way better than many mentioned above them.

Was that the Crystal Palace bowl gig with the Faces in support? Probably all the hippies jumping in the lake is what killed the fish:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C01ZVGrzhE

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
It can't be helped but no Waters AND no Wright, no Floyd. [I swear blind Floyd experts, that was an unintended pun! I've just realised ]

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I may or may not buy this once I have heard a track or two. November 10th has a far more important album release for me at least - Sonic Highway by the Foo Fighters.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not convinced that Nick Mason and Dave Gilmour should be trading under the Pink Floyd name. Syd is dead and Roger Waters wants nothing to do with the album so the two people who wrote the lyrics that set Floyd apart are not involved. Rick Wright is not there and even if this is a tribute to him, Mason and Gilmour are not Pink Floyd.

I couldn't get Buzzer's link to work so I haven't heard the track, but I have never been a big fan of Gilmour's lyrics or solo albums. Are the lyrics usually written by his wife?

All a bit underwhelming to me but I'd love to be wrong and for this to be a great half of Floyd album.

If Ringo and Paul decided to release some songs together would they be the Beatles?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here